Bug Reporting for NVDA - Do Step-by-Step Instructions Exist?

I know that at sometime in the past I've asked about "the official procedure" for reporting bugs to the developers of NVDA and also seem to remember it's done through Github.  What I don't have, either in my head or in my collection of records, is a set of specific instructions for exactly what the process is.

If anyone has them, could you post them?

To the group moderator, if someone has them and posts them, could consideration be given to making them a regular cyclic posting, say, once per quarter?

Antony Stone

I don't like the idea of a regular posting to the list - better to have the
process clearly linked from the main website (in the same way that the list
itself is).

After all, someone wanting to report a bug might not already be a list member,
and someone who is a list member but has forgotten how to report a bug might
need to do so the day before the reminder gets sent out, and I'm sure many
people here don't keep a personal archive of list messages just in case they
happen to come in handy several weeks later.

Antony.

On Wednesday 30 May 2018 at 17:53:29, Brian Vogel wrote:

I know that at sometime in the past I've asked about "the official
procedure" for reporting bugs to the developers of NVDA and also seem to
remember it's done through Github. What I don't have, either in my head
or in my collection of records, is a set of specific instructions for
exactly what the process is.

If anyone has them, could you post them?

To the group moderator, if someone has them and posts them, could
consideration be given to making them a regular cyclic posting, say, once
per quarter? --

*Brian*
--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

- Frank Skinner

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 08:59 am, Antony Stone wrote:
I don't like the idea of a regular posting to the list - better to have the
process clearly linked from the main website (in the same way that the list
itself is).
The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.   There are many (too many, in my opinion) members of these lists who have never interacted with the Groups.io website in any way.  If it's not e-mail, it doesn't exist.

Antony Stone

I wasn't talking about the groups.io website, and I am indeed one of the
people who has never interacted with it and has no intention of doing so.

You're right about "if it's not email, it doesn't exist", because as far as
I'm concerned, I have subscribed to a mailing list and I interact with it
through my email client. I'm sure many others here have the same opinion
regarding lists vs. forums.

I was talking about the NVaccess website, which is the primary source of all
information about NVDA, and is where I found out how to subscribe to this
mailing list.

Antony.

On Wednesday 30 May 2018 at 18:18:12, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 08:59 am, Antony Stone wrote:
I don't like the idea of a regular posting to the list - better to have
the process clearly linked from the main website (in the same way that the
list itself is).
The two are not mutually exclusive, you know. There are many (too many,
in my opinion) members of these lists who have never interacted with the
Groups.io website in any way. If it's not e-mail, it doesn't exist.
--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Hi,
To the original question at hand: you need a GitHub account in order to post
bug reports.
Typically, one would sign up for GitHub, then go to
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new and fill out the form there.
I will cover this in more detail during NVDACon 2018.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I'm actually one of the few that do, and  I recycle messages that people write including ones I've written to make things easier.

But first log onto github, find the nvda repo if you are subscribed to it, then click issues and then click new issues and follow the prompts. Upload any logs you need to upload there.

On May 30, 2018, at 9:18 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 08:59 am, Antony Stone wrote:
I don't like the idea of a regular posting to the list - better to have the
process clearly linked from the main website (in the same way that the list
itself is).
The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.   There are many (too many, in my opinion) members of these lists who have never interacted with the Groups.io website in any way.  If it's not e-mail, it doesn't exist.

I've filed a new issue (bug) report regarding the behavior of NVDA on the chrome://extensions/shortcuts page.

Thanks to Joseph and Sarah for the assistance.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I thought there was some one who done like a blog on what to do and i can not remember if there is any documentation on what to do as i have not done it for a long time to report a issue.

If none exists i will put together a page on what to do to report a issue and where to go etc then host it off my website.

I do not think it would take that long to put together.

Or if there is a audio recording already of what to do i could link to that and maybe have it on the audio tutorials page under trouble shooting.

Gene nz

On 5/31/2018 3:53 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I know that at sometime in the past I've asked about "the official procedure" for reporting bugs to the developers of NVDA and also seem to remember it's done through Github.  What I don't have, either in my head or in my collection of records, is a set of specific instructions for exactly what the process is.

If anyone has them, could you post them?

To the group moderator, if someone has them and posts them, could consideration be given to making them a regular cyclic posting, say, once per quarter?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

The parts about forking a branch etc i would not have a clue there but there is a guide for that but think the process for reporting a bug is what most people would do.

Gene nz

On 5/31/2018 3:53 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I know that at sometime in the past I've asked about "the official procedure" for reporting bugs to the developers of NVDA and also seem to remember it's done through Github.  What I don't have, either in my head or in my collection of records, is a set of specific instructions for exactly what the process is.

If anyone has them, could you post them?

To the group moderator, if someone has them and posts them, could consideration be given to making them a regular cyclic posting, say, once per quarter?

Brian's Mail list account

No indeed, I have no problem with a post that refers to the link nor that in the footer such a link be added on the list system on all lists though.

Indeed a simple to follow, create github account. link to search for the issue, and new issue and all about the in field text and how to get shot of it so you can type without leaving bits of it showing through are what is needed also a foolproof way to make sure that if you subscribe to the mail list contain bug reports that your own bug reports are sent to you is imperative. I have still not cracked this particular nut, despite ticking the boxes I thought you should. I have to say that for the uninitiated and the infrequent visitor that particular site is both cluttered and misleading compared to the ordinary novices site.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I had a number of emails about how this was done, but since I do have an account now its really only remembering the password and the page for search and new issues that bamboozles me.
I do not like the instructions for the form being in the form fields though, I find this irritating, I'd rather it was somewhere else on the page.
[...]

Incidentally, I reported a bug a couple of weeks back, and now it seems to have been fixed but could see no comment on the item, so one supposes something 4else fixed it. Howdoes one remove a bug report?
[...]

Devin Prater

On Github, you don’t remove the bug, it just gets closed and that’s it, so that if need be, it can be reopened.

On May 31, 2018, at 5:15 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Incidentally, I reported a bug a couple of weeks back, and now it seems to have been fixed but could see no comment on the item, so one supposes something 4else fixed it. Howdoes one remove a bug report?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>

[...]

You find your bug, then hit the close button. I need to actually do that with my issues as some have ben solved over the years with several programs  I use.