selecting the desktop

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles

Jackie

Hello, Giles. Yes there is. To do so, you'll need to use NVDA's object
navigation. Go to your desktop, then navigate up by using insert up
arrow till you hear "desktop window". At this point, you can
right-click in order to personalize, change display options, etc. HTH.

On 5/30/18, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
Hi all,

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a
mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add
'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which
means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for
any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This
Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles
Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Richard Wells

Giles: In Windows 10, the easiest way to get to personalize settings is to press WINDOWS-KEY+I, TAB in to the list of options, choose personalization, press ENTER there and choose themes. From there, choose related settings desktop icons and check the items you want. If you ever need to deselect anything on the desktop CONTROL+SPACE-BAR will do that.

On 5/30/2018 2:01 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi all,

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles

Sarah k Alawami

Hello. Hit control space to unselect what was selected. Then you can  hit the applications key.

On May 30, 2018, at 12:01 PM, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:

Hi all,

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles

Gene

Make sure nothing is selected on the desktop.  One way to be sure is to press home, then issue the command control space.
Now, open the context menu.

Mouse users right click on an empty part of the desktop.  Having nothing selected and opening the context menu is equivalent.  In either case, you are clicking when nothing is selected and you are interacting with the desktop, which has focus.

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:01 PM
Subject: [nvda] selecting the desktop

Hi all,

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles

Gene

The procedure I gave allows you to do this with any screen-reader from the keyboard.  It's a Windows procedure.

Hello, Giles. Yes there is. To do so, you'll need to use NVDA's object
navigation. Go to your desktop, then navigate up by using insert up
arrow till you hear "desktop window". At this point, you can
right-click in order to personalize, change display options, etc. HTH.

On 5/30/18, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a
> mouse, not selecting any specific item?
>
> I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add
> 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.
>
> I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which
> means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for
> any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This
> Computer icon onto the desktop.
>
> Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1
>
> Thnks,
>
> Giles

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Gene

The reason I say to issue the command home before using control space bar, is so that, in the rare case that more than one thing is selected, nothing will be.  You could accomplish the same thing by moving with the up and down arroww or with page up and page down.  The point is to be sure only one thing is selected, then unselect that one thing with control space bar.

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:09 PM

[...]

I should add that I don't use Windows 10.  I gave the method used before Windows 10.  Since I don't use Windows 10, I can't compare the two for convenience.

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:09 PM

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Giles

File explorer can be configured to open the “This  PC” window when using the Windows +e command.

Cheers

Chris

is there a way to right click on the desktop in the way you can with a mouse, not selecting any specific item?

I want to get 'personalise' in the desktop context menu so that I can add 'This Computer' as a desktop shortcut.

I can't figure out any way to not have an icon selected using NVDA, which means I don't get personalise as a context menu option. I'd be grateful for any ideas or alternative ways of configuring Windows to put the This Computer icon onto the desktop.

Using Win10 and NVDA 2018.1

Thnks,

Giles

Giles Turnbull

thanks all for those suggestions, they all work a treat! I did not know about the CTRL space method of unselecting items so that is very handy :)