OT: Refresh firefox might have solved NVDA-lock-up issue

Jacob Kruger

While I know this isn't directly related to NVDA itself, among other things I was considering trying to roll back from latest v.46 of firefox, to a prior version of firefox, back to something like late-30's version number, just to see if that would help, but, came across the following page, which, if you load it in firefox itself, offers a form of utility link to refresh firefox to default settings, uninstall all extensions, etc. etc.:

Now, I let that thing do it's thing, and while no more extensions/add-ons, like webvisum and f123 are now installed, all my bookmarks, etc. were still available, but, did have to do things like reset my home/startup page, etc.

However, main thing is, while have just been testing/trying this out for roundabout 10 minutes now, playing around with youTube, facebook mobile, and various google searches, etc., it does seem to have, possibly, stopped firefox from overloading/overclocking this windows 10 64-bit operating system instance, and also hasn't, thus far, made NVDA go all silent, etc.

In other words, just posting this here, in case any other guys want to give it a try, and, if it carries on cooperating for a while, then I will try something like reinstalling the webvisum extension first, since it's worked for me over a few years now, etc., and will definitely keep track of any other extensions that get installed, to just try keep track of if/when it reverts back to a form of go-slow...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

andru fou

Updating to the latest insider build also seems to have solved it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

[...]

Ok, funny enough, it also just updated to v. 47 now, but, let's see how it goes...<smile>

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Jacob,

I also used this refresh Firefox link to get rid of some sort of hijack page that used to come up on the Free Football Radio page. That is to say that for some reason, on that page and that page only, when I tried accessing it, I got a weird semi-hijack page that wanted me to sign up for some sort of service. I can't remember what or even what the page was--as this was almost a year ago. My antivirus and anti malware programs showed clean.

I went to the Firefox support page and for the heck of it, I clicked on that refresh Firefox page and it worked like a charm. I have no such issues and it's been almost a year on that and any other pages. I recommend that approach for anyone having any issues with Firefox--even before you try an uninstall and reinstall of the program.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Thats always a good choice when its needed.
Sadly it looks like version 47 has introduced a few issues, navigational sounds does not work, mozilla has depricated some libraries.
Here's the thing, the brouser has actually got faster.
I have noticed that stuff that would take a few seconds more to load seems to have gotten well faster.
reportedly we are supposed to se vp8 codec and html5 full support in this version and while flash if its installed can and will be used where html5 exists it will be prefured over flash so things are going up.
I have not as of today downloaded anything though I did last night.
I am currently trying to get through today's data stream which is not to much before I need to get out of the country on my vacation so I am only interested in really making sure everything is done as I will not be using the net at all whilst away and I want to be up to date as I can before I leave.

On 10/06/2016 6:36 a.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Lino Morales

Dude! WTH! I don't understand why Navagitional Sounds extention isn't working. I just downloaded V 47 of FF yesterday and said extention works along with Dr. James Sholes patch of Webvisum.

On 6/9/2016 4:31 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Hmmm what did you do to get it working.
maybe I will refresh again and see.

On 10/06/2016 8:43 a.m., Lino Morales wrote:
[...]

Ok, seems if install webvisum extension - either version directly off webvisum.com - after using advanced settings to enable unsigned extension add-on installation, or the signed version, then firefox starts overloading/locking up NVDA again.

So, for now, while it's installed, it's disabled, and issue seems to have gone away for now as well, but, yes, while not end of the world for me, this also means navigational sound pack is also not operating/playing sounds.