Disable protection in a word document that you received via e-mail, etc.

Jacob Kruger

Asking this here since, I know that, for example, if I receive a word document via e-mail, then I won't really be able to edit it, or really review contents, since windows/word marks as it as from a possibly unsafe source, but, for example, when having worked with jaws in the past, I would switch to jaws/virtual mouse cursor, move to one of the top lines of the whole window, and on the right-hand side, there would be something you could click the mouse cursor on, to enable editing.

However, if I switch to screen review cursor in current/latest NVDA, then I don't seem to be able to find that part of the window.

I am guessing that if I used actual physical mouse itself, I might be able to find it, but, was just wondering if there's another way someone can recommend/suggest?

As in, something like either a set of keystrokes, or another method/means to access that hotspot, without having to work with a physical mouse, which I wouldn't even, generally, have plugged into a desktop PC.

And, this is currently working with MS word 2010, but anyway.

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

Ryan Mann <rmann0581@...>

With the document open, hit Alt F.
Tab until you get to a button that says Enable Editing.
Press Enter.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2016, at 4:04 AM, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:

[...]

Press f6 when the document is open and then arrow down to find enable
editing and press enter.

--
We have probed the Earth, excavated it, burned it, ripped things from
it, buried things in it... That does not fit my definition of a good

Jacob,

           You also have the option to turn Protected View off as the default in Trust Center settings.  I do this routinely since any file that I get, whether as an e-mail attachment or via download from the internet, is scanned by my antivirus before I ever have a chance to open it.  I also don't grab MS-Word files "at random" from the internet or open attachments from unknown sources so the risk is minimal to begin with.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Hi,

How do you do that? I regularly exchange files with a writer friend of mine, and I can't scroll normally in Protected view. I hate it!

On 13/06/2016 12:22 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Jacob,

           You also have the option to turn Protected View off as the default in Trust Center settings.  I do this routinely since any file that I get, whether as an e-mail attachment or via download from the internet, is scanned by my antivirus before I ever have a chance to open it.  I also don't grab MS-Word files "at random" from the internet or open attachments from unknown sources so the risk is minimal to begin with.

Ann Byrne

The keystroke in Word 2013 is alt+f, then i, then e. Hopefully it hasn't changed.

good luck!

At 03:04 AM 6/12/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Sharni-Lee (and other interested parties),

Here are the step-by-step directions I've put together for this since the question gets asked repeatedly:

To turn off Protected Mode for Downloaded MS-Office Documents

This applies in Word, Excel, Access, etc.  You have to do this in each program where you want the nag off.

1.        File Menu, Options Item

2.       In Options Dialog, Trust Center Pane

3.       Once Trust Center Pane is up, activate Trust Center Settings button (or Hit ALT+T)

4.      In Trust Center Settings, Protected View Pane

5.       In Protected View Pane, under the Protected View Group, uncheck whichever of the protected views you’d prefer not to deal with.  Leave the Data Execution Prevention Group untouched (and this feature is enabled by default).

Note well:  If you disable Protected View then be very, very certain that you trust the source of the file you intend to open, whether it was sent as an e-mail attachment or downloaded.  Ideally, it should be virus scanned, at a minimum, before you consider opening it.  On many computers your antivirus software or security suite automatically scans anything you download and if you’re sure your setup does this you are reasonably safe in opening files acquired from sources you trust.

Arlene

Brian! Does this also work for outlook as well?

[...]

            Yes, at least up through Outlook 2013.  I haven't tried this post the 2013 version, but given how old the Trust Center is and that these particular settings for Protected View haven't changed in eons I'd presume it probably holds all the way up through the current version.

            As I noted, you do have to do this in each and every office program where you want this feature turned off.

Jacob Kruger

Arlene, Brian, etc.

I activated menu ribbon, arrowed across to file, arrowed down, until found options, and hit enter.

Then ctrl + tab until it focused on trust center.

Then tabbed over to trust center settings button, and hit space, and in the dialogue that came up, hit ctrl+tab until it focused on protected view, there are various checkboxes, either related directly to something like outlook, or else just relating to generally internet-sourced documents, and you can turn on, or off those that you want to, and then just tab over to Ok button, hit space, and do same once or twice more for other dialogues, and, think should be sorted now.

So, thanks, again...<smile>

[...]

Okay. I’m using outlook 2010