Location vs reader

Semirhage

Okay so if I am trying to show my husband something I'm looking at online sometimes NVDA will read one thing but the screen is showing something else, usually way above. But it does the same thing to me a little if I click on a you tube link I want or where NVDA tells me it is, it will end up on another link. So it acts up worst for us on Amazon when it comes to NVDA  reading one thing and my husband seeing another then for me on you tube it's hit and miss. LOL. Any thoughts?
Sem

Quentin Christensen

Hi Sem,

Try the Focus Highlight addon on the NV Access addons page: http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/focusHighlight.en.html

It draws a coloured rectangle around where the focus is and is one of the most effective ways of having a sighted user watching over your shoulder and both of you knowing where you are.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Semirhage <severus13@...> wrote:
Okay so if I am trying to show my husband something I'm looking at online sometimes NVDA will read one thing but the screen is showing something else, usually way above. But it does the same thing to me a little if I click on a you tube link I want or where NVDA tells me it is, it will end up on another link. So it acts up worst for us on Amazon when it comes to NVDA  reading one thing and my husband seeing another then for me on you tube it's hit and miss. LOL. Any thoughts?
Sem

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Semirhage

Quentin thanks tons. That is great to know. Still learning so much about using NVDA. hugs.

Semirhage,

             This add-on is a great one and one I've been using lately so that I can know where NVDA happens to be.  But, be aware that if you're having NVDA read text, say a newspaper article, once the reading goes beyond what's on screen the "green with black squiggle"-edged box does not scroll the screen as it moves from paragraph to paragraph.  You can definitely pause and have your spouse either mouse or arrow around to find where it is, but don't expect that everything is automatically scrolled to keep that box visible on the screen if you're dealing with text that is much longer than what displays on the screen when you begin the reading process.

Semirhage

It's just that NVDA seems to read far from where is visible and I don't get why it doesn't all stay together. LOL. If it tells me I'm on one you tube link and I'm really on another it's a pain. Not sure the box will help with t hat, but if it helps my husband it's cool. We'll just have to try it out and see. Thanks to all. It's not usually an article so much as a website with pictures. If we're looking at a dragon or gargoyle pendant or whatever, I can only get so much from the description people put up on sites so if it sounds cool I want him to look at it to see if we want it because he knows the style I like and he likes the same so yeah...but like I wanted to show him a gargoyle pendant and he was seeing like five pendants above where i was so yeah we'll try this out and see how it works.
Sem

Virus-free

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Also with the focus add on, if you press the nvda key + the tab key it should tell you if it is on screen or off screen where you can not see it, then you might have to scroll to see where it is.

Gene nz

On 17/06/2016 10:06 PM, Semirhage wrote:
Okay so if I am trying to show my husband something I'm looking at online sometimes NVDA will read one thing but the screen is showing something else, usually way above. But it does the same thing to me a little if I click on a you tube link I want or where NVDA tells me it is, it will end up on another link. So it acts up worst for us on Amazon when it comes to NVDA  reading one thing and my husband seeing another then for me on you tube it's hit and miss. LOL. Any thoughts?
Sem

When you use browse mode, you are not using a real cursor.  You are not working directly with the web page  you are working with a reformated version of the page.  I don't know if there is any way to synchronize where you seem to be on screen and where NVDA announces you are.  I don't even know if there is supposed to be any sort of actual synchronization between where the screen shows you to be and where NVDA announces you are.  Others who know more may wish to address this.  Just because browse mode tells you you are at X or Y place on the web page, that doesn't necessarily mean that on the actual web page, that's where you will be shown to be as a sighted user.  The reformated web page you hear in the browse mode buffer isn't even formatted in the same way.  All the links you see at the top of a web page when you use browse mode may actually be a list of links running down the left site of the real web page.
You may then see other content after that using browse mode.  The real web page may display the same content but to the right of the block of links running down the left side of the page.

This can't be read in logical order so your browser reformats the page.

Some pages do better at knowing where you actually are, some don't  But you are not working with the real web page and there may or may not be good synchronization.  I never rely on a sighted person telling me where something is.  It's irrelevant.  They might tell me something is in the middle of a bar of links on the right side of a page.  To me, that may really be near the bottom of the web page, as it is shown to me.

The order of a lot of web pages as a blind person sees it is roughly this:
Links at the top, other content below, links at the bottom.
For a sighted person, the page appears roughly as:
A bar of links running down the left, other content to the right, then a bar of links to the right.

Gene