Your First NVDA App Module: Session 0 posted, session 1 to be held on June 25, 2016 at NVDACon Korea TT server

Hi everyone,

Session 0 (overview) from Your First NVDA App Module course is now available:

http://www.nvda-kr.org/files/nvdaAppMod0.mp3

Also, session 1 (app module introduction) will be held on June 25, 2016 at 11 AM Pacific (18:00 UTC) at NVDACon Korea TeamTalk Server (nvda-kr.org). You need TT5 (be sure to install TT5 Classic client) and enter the following server information:

·         URL: nvda-kr.org

·         TCP: 10333

·         UDP: 10333

·         No username or password required.

·         Channel will be root (nvdachat).

If you are interested in learning to write app modules, please think about an app you feel an app module could be useful by session 1. For those who’d like to use this opportunity as a stepping stone for contributing to NVDA Core development, please checkout NVDA source code (git clone –recursive https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda) as we’ll be using app modules in there as examples. For people not interested in coding, don’t worry – a backstage tour will be provided to show you how app modules work behind the scenes. For those who cannot make it, audio recordings of each session will be provided shortly after the session ends.

P.S. If you know anyone in your language community who’d like to write app modules, please feel free to invite them. Also, other app module experts are more than welcome to chime in their expertise during course sessions.

See you on June 25th.

Cheers,

Joseph

Bob J

Joseph,

The link

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda

is not working for me.

What's up with that?

Bob

[...]

---

That's odd... Which browser are you using? If it doesn't work, try http
instead.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

protection is active.

Bob J

Joseph,

I'm using I E 8 on WinXPPro.

Bob

[...]

I see. In this case, I'm out of ideas.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Scott VanDeWalle

Hello Joseph and all.
Even though i will probably not be able to make it to the live sessions, even though I will try when i can, I will deffinately download the sessions for later use.
I lost interested in programming for a little, and i still don't know, but i'm going to give it another shot.
This time if i don't stay with it, i guess its not something that is for me.
Just thought I'd tell you though that i'll give it another try.

later
Scott
Session 0 (overview) from Your First NVDA App Module course is now available:
http://www.nvda-kr.org/files/nvdaAppMod0.mp3 <http://www.nvda-kr.org/files/nvdaAppMod0.mp3>
Also, session 1 (app module introduction) will be held on June 25, 2016 at 11 AM Pacific (18:00 UTC) at NVDACon Korea TeamTalk Server (nvda-kr.org). You need TT5 (be sure to install TT5 Classic client) and enter the following server information:

* · TCP: 10333
* · UDP: 10333
* · No username or password required.
* · Channel will be root (nvdachat).
If you are interested in learning to write app modules, please think about an app you feel an app module could be useful by session 1. For those who’d like to use this opportunity as a stepping stone for contributing to NVDA Core development, please checkout NVDA source code (git clone –recursive https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda>) as we’ll be using app modules in there as examples. For people not interested in coding, don’t worry – a backstage tour will be provided to show you how app modules work behind the scenes. For those who cannot make it, audio recordings of each session will be provided shortly after the session ends.
--
Have a great fabulous day!

Bob J

Hello Joseph,

I'm eager to learn how to generate add-ons for NVDA! I have experience programming computer software using several programming languages, but, no experience with Python. I have downloaded and installed Python version 2.7 and I am currently working my way through the tutorial included with that package. I see that code blocks are discriminated solely through the indentation of code lines.

Can you recommend a text editor that is Python-friendly and accessable with NVDA? BTW, I don't use Braille, if that makes a difference.

Another thing: When I went to

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda

I was unable to figure out how to download NVDA source code (git clone -recursive)

Do you have any suggestions?

T I A,

Bob

[...]

Editor: I personally use Notepad++.
Getting NVDA source code: Using Git:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda
The course itself: the course will focus on app modules, a type of an
add-on. I'll briefly go over how to package add-ons, but not to a point
where it'll be the emphasis of the course.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

i think that was one of my biggest issues too.
So i'd like to no this too.
Scott
[...]

where does one type that command from though Joseph, never did get that part.smile.
Is it from the command prompt of windows, or from within python itself, or what?

[...]

For the program has indentation like Python or c sharp, I recommend EdSharp. You can check it info and download at http://www.freelists.org/webpage/edsharp
This quite accessible to screen reader, and you can check whether a line has endation or not.
Hope that help.
Cuong
---------------
Dang Manh Cuong
The Assistive technology specialist
Sao Mai Vocational and assistive center for the blind
391 Lac Long Quan, ward 5, Dst 11, HCMC, Vietnam
Tel: +84862573309
E-mail: vanphong@trungtamsaomai.org; congnghe@trungtamsaomai.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SaoMaiCenter
Website: http://www.trungtamsaomai.org; http://www.saomaicenter.org

Mobile / Zalo: +84 902-572-300
E-mail: dangmanhcuong@gmail.com; cuong@trungtamsaomai.org
Yahoo! ID: manhcuong0312
Skype name: dangmanhcuong
Twitter: @ManhCuongTech

[...]

One requirement I forgot to mention last week: if you are planning to write
app modules, please come with Python 2.7 and your favorite text editor
installed on your computer by this weekend's session, as we'll start coding
at the end of that session (at least starting with a four line module
that'll create a bare minimum app module).
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Cuong,

The link to EdSharp on this web page is not available. Is this due to a flaw
or how can I access the download?

-
All the best,

Cearbhall

----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

I don't know the reason, so I share my EdSharp here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/r8n3vo
Cuong
---------------
[...]

Jacob Kruger

Empowermentzone.com was hacked a little while ago - here's a copy of the edSharp package from my site:
http://www.blindza.co.za/uploads/EdSharp_setup3.4.exe

And, yes, it's what I use for both python and PHP/JS, etc.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

[...]

Thanks Jacob,

That worked fine for me!

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

to be held on June 25, 2016 at NVDACon Korea TT server

Hi Cuong,

The link to EdSharp on this web page is not available. Is this due to
a flaw or how can I access the download?

-
All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

------
----
I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

And, git, is on the nvda github site?

Scott

[...]

You'll need to download and install Git.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

ok thanks, i will give it a try.
I take it i find git on github.