Windows 10 dictation feature and NVDA

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I have gotten kind of used to using this where you press windows+h and the system will allow dictation and it inserts it into an email or notepad or word pad and the like.

My question is this.  I can't seem to get it to insert the spoken text into a program like Jarte or other word processors.  It won't insert it into website edit fields either.

Is there a way to enable this using NVDA?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Brian's Mail list account

At a guess this is controlled by Windows and the software supported by it.
I think it may grow, but the best folk to ask are Microsoft, I'd imagine, if it is only working in Microsoft products then that is a big clue.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I have gotten kind of used to using this where you press windows+h and the system will allow dictation and it inserts it into an email or notepad or word pad and the like.

My question is this. I can't seem to get it to insert the spoken text into a program like Jarte or other word processors. It won't insert it into website edit fields either.

Is there a way to enable this using NVDA?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

John Isige

I just opened Jarte and hit Windows-h and yelled at my computer, and it
inserted just fine. I still need to figure out how to stop it from
replacing my cursing with asterisks though.

On 5/31/2018 8:48, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
At a guess this is controlled by Windows and the software supported by
it.
I think it may grow, but the best folk to ask are Microsoft, I'd
imagine, if it is only working in Microsoft products then that is a
big clue.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@...>
I have gotten kind of used to using this where you press windows+h
and the system will allow dictation and it inserts it into an email
or notepad or word pad and the like.

My question is this.  I can't seem to get it to insert the spoken
text into a program like Jarte or other word processors.  It won't
insert it into website edit fields either.

Is there a way to enable this using NVDA?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

I do not use dictation, but decided to hit WinKey+H just for the fun of it.  I get an unusual banner notification across the top of the screen, not a pop-out from the lower right that later shows up in the action center if you ignore it, saying, "To use dictation, go to Settings and turn on speech services."

This is slightly misleading, as you'd think that they were referring to the Time & Language settings, Speech pane, but what is really being made reference to is Privacy settings, Speech, Inking, & Typing Pane, "Getting to know you" section at the top.

Since I wish to use neither the PDA aspects of Cortana nor speech dictation I have not allowed the "Getting to know you" feature to be enabled since the first day I started using Windows 10.

You might want to double check the Speech, Inking, & Typing pane.