From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some issues with NVDA's reading

Chris,

            And what I'm telling you is that the first version of the question does not read correctly, to my ears, in either NVDA or Window-Eyes and the second two read precisely the same way.

            Since double exclamation points and double question marks (and/or combinations thereof) are not uncommon I have no issue with a screen reader reading these without any extra string of punctuation.

            I agree that a terminal space before the question mark itself is syntactically incorrect and the words should be read followed by "question mark" announcing the punctuation.  There is no case in written English that I know of where a question mark can "free float" and be syntactically correct.  It is always firmly attached to the final word in a question construction.

Yes its not just nvda though, its the speed of the actual display catching up with input. I'm not sure what this is about, but maybe somebody else does know. It was suggested to me that this is more obvious onamd multi core processors, but I don't know enough about hardware to make a comment.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Since I upgraded to Win10, I am noticing some sluggishness in Windows explorer, Outlook 2013, and at times it is slow responding to keyboard commands in Word and Outlook. I have to issue the command twice to get a response.

I appreciate the help and learning I am getting from the list.

Thanks and blessings to all

Pascal

And what I'm telling you is that the first version of the question does not read correctly, to my ears, in either NVDA or Window-Eyes and the second two read precisely the same way.

Since double exclamation points and double question marks (and/or combinations thereof) are not uncommon I have no issue with a screen reader reading these without any extra string of punctuation.

I agree that a terminal space before the question mark itself is syntactically incorrect and the words should be read followed by "question mark" announcing the punctuation. There is no case in written English that I know of where a question mark can "free float" and be syntactically correct. It is always firmly attached to the final word in a question construction.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"