looking for a good ntivirus program

John J. Boyer

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.

Arianna Sepulveda

I use and really like Sophos Home.

Thanks,
Ari

On Jul 1, 2016, at 5:12 AM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org> wrote:

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm using windows defender and it works great for me.

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well with
NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

It's a great program, Sophos home. When you get a home license, it's
usable on up to 10 computers.

On 7/1/2016 9:17 AM, Arianna Sepulveda wrote:
I use and really like Sophos Home.

Thanks,
Ari

On Jul 1, 2016, at 5:12 AM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org> wrote:

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Angela Delicata

I use Avast and works fine.

Best.

Angela from Italy

Il 01/07/2016 18:54, Rosemarie Chavarria ha scritto:
I'm using windows defender and it works great for me.

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well with
NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

---

Arlene

Hi, Are you using windows ten? If you are. Then windows defender is good. I
hear it works great for win ten.

I'm using windows defender and it works great for me.

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well with
NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

And as an aside to this question.
I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run, say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Pete <emac00@...>

try clamwin

----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Gene

Clamwin is not well reviewed.  I wouldn't use it.

> I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
> say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
> always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
> date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
> <john.boyer@...>

Peter Beasley

Clamwin is not well reviewed.  I wouldn't use it.

> I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
> say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
> always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
> date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
> <john.boyer@...>

Antony Stone

I agree. ClamWin is a spin-off product for Windows, from the ClamAV project,
originally developed for Unix and Linux systems.

ClamAV works fine on Linux, and is a useful scanner, but ClamWin has the major
drawback that it doesn't do on-demand scanning (for example of files as they
get downloaded from the Internet, or as they get received in emails) - it only
does file system scanning (ie: checking files after they've arrived on your
computer and have been stored on the hard disk). In some instances, this can
be too late.

Antony.

On Saturday 23 July 2016 at 15:48:46, Gene wrote:

Clamwin is not well reviewed. I wouldn't use it.

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John
--
I'm not impossible, just highly implausible.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Shaun Oliver

what is wrong with windows defender? quite frankly, it's as good as any other out there and is accessible.

It does also get decent write ups.

On 23/07/2016 23:18, Gene wrote:
Clamwin is not well reviewed.  I wouldn't use it.

> I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
> say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
> always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
> date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
> <john.boyer@...>

further to my last, if I had to use any other, I'd either use vypre or esset nod32

On 23/07/2016 23:18, Gene wrote:
Clamwin is not well reviewed.  I wouldn't use it.

> I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
> say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
> always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
> date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
> <john.boyer@...>

may be usefull for use on an usb stick for a stand alone scanner.

On 7/23/2016 10:00 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

Since you bottom posted, a lot of people will skip your message, in part because many will think you didn't include one.

I don't follow antivirus programs enough to recommend any.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2016 8:58 AM

Clamwin is not well reviewed.  I wouldn't use it.

> I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
> say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
> always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
> date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
> <john.boyer@...>

I think he was opining on one which could be run without an internet connection. its got to be better than nothing or the copy of msse that keeps crashing the machine as I won't let it download the updates.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Clamwin is not well reviewed. I wouldn't use it.

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Neither of which as far as I know can be downloaded to a stick updated and taken to a computer with no internet connection and run.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I have a need for a stand alone anti virus scanner which I can run,
say from a ram stick and update on one machine and run on others not
always connected to the internet without it complaining its out of
date or needs an internet connection to update. Brian

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org <mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>>
Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that works well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
<mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people
with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Alexander Masic

I can recomend Avira antivirus, It's have got good reputation, and it's also fairly accesible. You can do the most important tasks, as canning the system and so on.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Oliver" <blindman75@gmail.com>

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that
works >> well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
<mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people
with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

I don't recall this allowed what I wonted last time I checked it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Does anyone want to recommend a free antivirus program that
works >> well
with NVDA?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; President,
AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
<mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
Website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Mission: To develop softwares and provide STEM services for people
with
disabilities which are available at no cost.

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

In the past, I have recommended Sophos Home. It is cloud-based, and works quite well.

Thanks.