From: "Joe Paton" <patonplace@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 8:55 AM
Subject: [nvda] external serial synthesisers

Morning all,

I want to use NVDA current release, with an old but lovely dectalk
express, connected to com3 at the present.

Where should I point the old borwser to locate a suitable set of drivers
for this device?

Many thanks.

Gene

The Dectalk ability you have is likely an illegal add on.  And no Dectalk software, legal or illegal, has been as good as the old Dectalk external synthesizers or as the software emulations such as Text Assist, available a long time ago.

At some point, the code for DectTalk was lost.  Attempts have been made to reconstruct it, but no reconstruction is as good as the old code.

plus using an external synthesizer of any kind removes the problem of using a single sound card with what you hear to record audio with no speech from the screen-reader.

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] external serial synthesisers

Do you really need this? I have a dectalk software emulation as an add on on
my nvda, not sure where it came from though.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I want to use NVDA current release, with an old but lovely dectalk
> express, connected to com3 at the present.
>
> Where should I point the old borwser to locate a suitable set of drivers
> for this device?
>
> Many thanks.

Joe Paton

Yes I do really need this.
Thanks.

Gene

You can find the Dectalk Express add on at this page.
Remember that this isn't an officially approved add on so it isn't guaranteed to be safe or stable.

But as usb sound devices are now so cheap one can direct that to other places say for doing radio broadcasts etc.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
[...]

Enablerehab can offer you dectalk.

but I agree even if you pay them the 5 bucks needed for the software or less there are volume issues.

I own dectalk but I don't use it.

On the other hand not that I condone alegal activities in this list it may be possible to use things like alegal eloquence and or dectalk without a problem, previded no one challenges anyone ever for the next 10-20 years or so.

Its still alegal, however there was a news story I read some time back where a charity decided to distribute windows 3.1 and dos to people for nothing.

Microsoft branch nz sued them for using alegal things.

Microsoft hq decided that they couldn't care less because of the age.

While thats not a given you can go and pirate things its a comfort to know that depending on the age especially if it will never be maintained, that you may still get away with it.

No support though and if you screw up its your own problem but still.

Saying that, this would be a case by case thing.

A group of us using it probably wouldn't matter that much.

Saying that, enablerehab@gmail.com is still your friend, the agreement is still in place even though no one has seen them on here for a while.