Topics

Important notice about upcoming Windows 10 App Essentials 18.06/18.05.3: provisions to support NVDA 2018.2 RC

Hi everyone,

In a few hours I’ll release Windows 10 App Essentials 18.06 and 18.05.3. Due to vast differences in some code sections, both will be released at the same time, targeting different NVDA versions:

  • 18.05.3: NVDA 2018.1.1 and earlier.
  • 18.06: NVDA 2018.2 RC and later (including stable version).

Please follow the below procedure from start to finish:

  1. Windows 10 App Essentials 18.05.3 will hit the air first. Please use add-on update check facility to check for this version.
  2. Shortly afterwards (in a matter of minutes), version 18.06 will hit the air. If you happen to be using 18.05.3 and find that version 18.06 is offered: say “yes” if you are using NVDA 2018.2 RC or snapshot builds; say “no” if you need to keep 2018.1.1 or earlier around until 2018.2 hits the air.
  3. If you accidentally install 18.06 on a computer running NVDA 2018.1.1, or install 18.05.3 on systems with NVDA 2018.2, don’t worry – procedures are in place to help you upgrade/downgrade to appropriate release. I’ll provide direct links for those who need them.
  4. Once NVDA 2018.2 stable hits the air, add-on 18.06 will be offered to everyone.

The above procedure does not apply if you are using development snapshots of this add-on (both regular and pilot variants). However, due to code differences between regular and pilot snapshots, regular development snapshots will be paused for a while. Once NVDA 2018.2 hits the air, development snapshot variants will merge back into a single variant – regular builds until a new NVDA snapshot calls for separating the variants again.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Darren Harris

Hi,

Thanks for this. What is new for this update of app essentials?

[...]

The biggest change in version 18.06 is rewritten code so it can be powered by NVDA 2018.2 features. In particular:

  • Because NVDA 2018.2 includes a fix for the “unknown” announcement problem in quick link menu (Windows+X), the add-on no longer carries this fix.
  • Added support for IUIAutomation5 interface introduced in Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update). Specifically, NVDA will now announce notifications from recent app releases such as Calculator, Alarms and Clock, Microsoft Store and others. NVDA 2018.2 includes a trivial implementation, while the add-on includes mitigations for specific cases.
  • If using Windows 10 Redstone 5 (Insider Preview) and if Sets is enabled for you, NVDA will: announce search suggestions when you search for things in new Sets page, and will announce name of the selected tab when you switch between app tabs.
  • Added support for redesigned emoji panel and related features in Windows 10 Redstone 5 (Insider Preview), including announcement of cloud clipboard suggestions.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 18.05.3 and 18.06 are out. Make sure you go over a notice I posted a few hours ago regarding which version to use. Later today, a corresponding pilot development snapshot will hit the air.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Thanks for your message. Consider me a newb for a moment, what is meant by snapshot and what are they for?

Many thanks.

[...]

Snapshots are development builds released from time to time to let users test things here and there.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

I am running 18.06 with the latest nvda master snapshot.
I am trying to make sure if things work as expected.
I had the impression that from now on we would find the addon settings, in the main settings dialogue of nvda.
But still windows 10 app essentials appear as a separate item in the preference menu.
Is this the correct behaviour?
Thanks
Nikos

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 at 19:13, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is the correct behavior. This is because the only thing configurable is add-on update facility with an update check button, which is out of place in a multi-category settings (for both aesthetic and technical reasons).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Ok Joseph thanks for the explanation.
Nikos