end of the line for nvda skype group

Hi all of you.

Pulling out of nvda skype group now because of 1, skypes uncertain future and 2.  the fact I hardly contribute to it, I will shift all my conversational contributions to this list from now on if I havn't allready.

I will still use skype classic for family, but due to things as they stand I may have to remove skype from my contact and other info, it will be email for internationals only, skype if they need, but I will no longer advertise.

Microsoft has lost another user, skype classic interface is easy to understand, the new one I just don't care for.

Its a pitty its got to end this way but I may as well cut my losses right now rather than having to bother with things going bang.

I will have to either search for another solution or start paying high charges for international calls because skype new versions are inaccessible.

Way to go ms.

Can't skype classic just be pulled from the update loop and still be kept active?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Are you sure.

I have no problems with either 3 of the versions you just need to learn
new tricks unless programs are totally not accessible but these are useable.

Gene nz

On 6/7/2018 7:31 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have to say its not been used here for almost a year now.
I find it irritating that such a simple system is not being made available in a basic form for low tech users and without the flashy front end changes every fortnight. Skype always had a reputation of bringing out improvements that broke it, and it seems this has not stopped with Microsoft owning it, sadly.
So what else is out there for desktop machines for good quality audio over the internet free?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

It looks like its not completely the end.

It appears for 7 and 8 users we will have to just not install the skype classic update.

For 10 users, it appears microsoft have left us alone.

Previded we can get the skype classic program, ms doesn't ask us to switch over to the universal.

So at least for the moment they are leaving us alone who knows how long that is but still.

I have not as yet tried this.

The nvda skype group didn't have much traffic and I was thinking of pulling out anyway.

Skype isnot a real issue for me as I hardly use it.

Skype web via miranda works for text, now if I can use it to call skype then fine I guess.

There is zello but I have never figured it out as such.

On the other side those of us on android and ios devices will still be able to use skype,.

This seems to effect desktops, that is windows, mac and linux only.

For group chats there is teamtalk, and tthub.org are offering competitive rates right now.

I am interested though in some kind of voip or sip app that is easy to use, accessible and can use as a protocol skype calls, messages, groups and file shares which are the only things I ever use.

If that can be done and if I can login with my skype account then fine.

Right now skype classic still works.

Eventually that may die but who knows.

The skype interface with miranda ng is a bit different, I will have to get used to it but right now well.

I don't use skype enough to justify upgrading to anything new, I barely use that much of skype's power as it is.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 02:00 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
So what else is out there for desktop machines for good quality audio over the internet free?
Not quite certain as to what you mean by "for good quality audio," but if you mean for conducting video and/or audio calls Google Hangouts is great if you have a Google Account.

Sarah k Alawami

Check out zoom. I use it for all of my business meetings and I have not touched team talk since. You can do screen sharing (yes  that is accessible) ) and moe with it. Other  users can call in by phone if they want to or need to. I really love it.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 2:56 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@...>
[...]

What about groups and personal things.

One idea for me when skype classic finally dies is to try google hangouts as coolblindtech guys did use it for one of the reviews and the quality of the recording was top notch.

For group chats there is teamtalk, and tthub.org <http://tthub.org/> are offering competitive rates right now.

[...]

hi shaun and all.
is it possible to use classic version and ban updating it that never
updates to version 8?
is there any solution for skype?
i just need voice call and reading and sending messages, if it can
supports sending files is good, but the most important priority for me
is voice call and text message.
i dont need group call at this time and it was not be useful for me
until now, not sure about my future needs.

<sm.everiss@gmail.com>

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

I havn't found a way to stop it updating, however you can continue to download and use classic for now.

On win10 it has no updates so it doesn't ask you to do that.

I have pulled out of the nvda descussion group, and I don't need skype to be active right now.

There should be update settings under advanced but I have not found this at all.

As for the future, eventually everyone will have to use the universal app, maybe but who knows.

I don't need skype, and to be honest I may end up abandoning it and calling the expensive but accessible way over the phone or using email.

On 6/8/2018 6:38 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

Google for and use skype electron. I heard that is a simpler version of skype. It by the way only works on windows 7 so that won't help most of us.

On 6/8/2018 6:38 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

does skype electron needs to update or it can works forever?

wrote:

[...]

I don't know, I don't  use windows 7. You will have to google for this.

wrote:

[...]

Thats the skype 8 program, the program I will want to avoid, skype 7 is simple enough.

I have used electron apps with speech and unless you handle one key press at a time they can be slow, you can't type quickly at all.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:05 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:
I don't need skype, and to be honest I may end up abandoning it and calling the expensive but accessible way over the phone
For those who have Google accounts, it's worth looking at Google Hangouts.  However, in order to be able to send/receive text messages to phones you also need to get a phone number from Google Voice, which is available only within the USA.  You can, however, make calls with Hangouts no matter where you are, I believe.

AAh ok, I will look at hangouts, at least for part of an alternit.

Skype classic still exists for now but yeah I will look at hangouts to.

On 6/9/2018 2:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:05 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:

I don't need skype, and to be honest I may end up abandoning it and
calling the expensive but accessible way over the phone
For those who have Google accounts, it's worth looking at Google Hangouts.  However, in order to be able to send/receive text messages to phones you also need to get a phone number from Google Voice, which is available only within the USA.  You can, however, make calls with Hangouts no matter where you are, I believe.
--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

          ~ H.L. Mencken , AKA The Sage of Baltimore

From my experience, Skype 8 is actually accessible. There's actually an add on for NVDA that I think improves the accessibility of Skype 8 (I think it's mentioned in one of the NVDA Con 2018 sessions). Otherwise, NVDA treats the new Skype 8 UI just like a normal web page, so just interact the same way as how you would interact with a web page on Chrome or Firefox.
Personally, I don't use Skype that much, because most people I know don't use it.