Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

Hi all,

The below notice is considered critical:

It’s happening again: with the introduction of wxPython 4 in next snapshots, users of NVDA Remote add-on are having startup issues related to missing attribute in wxPython 4.

I propose the following solutions:

• I highly recommend releasing Remote add-on 2.2 to fix this issue.
  • Perhaps adding a statement on nvdaremote.com website explaining that Remote add-on should be disabled if using recent NVDA next snapshots.
  • The community should release an updated version of this add-on with permission from add-on authors and maintainers.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jonathan COHN

While I see this as essential in order to move to current versions of software / packages it is concerning that addons are breaking due to upgrading of the NVDA code base.  I worked in an office where we developed 25 scripts for AT technologies a year and still had a back log of portions of applications that were not fully compliant with Windows accessibility API’s. If in addition to keeping up with Windows and application changes that occur regularily, addon developers have to do regular work on their stock of addons I could see this as a deterrent to wide spread adoption of NVDA. Is this a general problem in the Python community or just an issue from the transition to Python 3.

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

Hi Jonathan,

I think multiple factors are involved:

• Need to move to Python 3: we’re researching foundations to move to Python 3 in the end, and wxPython 4 is the last dependency we need at this point.
  • wxPython 4: this version changes internals a bit, thus we ran into problems that we didn’t expect. Earlier this week I reported a problem where if you open a settings dialog and close it, NVDA won’t let you open others. This was fixed yesterday.
  • Attitudes from add-on authors about keeping up to date: we have add-ons that were written with old technology in mind, and it takes a bit of work to update the code to use newer interfaces and assumptions. Ideally add-on authors should do this themselves, but sometimes the community finds itself having to either locate the author or do the work ourselves. For the last twelve months, I’ve been telling the add-ons community to prepare for a day like this: making sure their add-on code works reliably with wxPython 4.
  • Inadequate preparations: we’re not adequately prepared enough as a community to help people affected by cases like Remote add-on, mostly having to do with attitudes and assumptions. I admit that I’m not free from taking the blame for the state of the add-ons community when it comes to preparing for wxPython 4, let alone Python 3 transition in the future. To me, if users cannot use their add-ons due to issues with wxPython 4 and Python 3, then I take it as a personal failure.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

While I see this as essential in order to move to current versions of software / packages it is concerning that addons are breaking due to upgrading of the NVDA code base.  I worked in an office where we developed 25 scripts for AT technologies a year and still had a back log of portions of applications that were not fully compliant with Windows accessibility API’s. If in addition to keeping up with Windows and application changes that occur regularily, addon developers have to do regular work on their stock of addons I could see this as a deterrent to wide spread adoption of NVDA. Is this a general problem in the Python community or just an issue from the transition to Python 3.

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

Mallard

Considering that, unlike other add-ons, we all crowdfunded the development of this very add-on, I'd hope something is done about it very soon,

Il 07/06/2018 18:14, Joseph Lee ha scritto:

Hi all,

It’s happening again: with the introduction of wxPython 4 in next snapshots, users of NVDA Remote add-on are having startup issues related to missing attribute in wxPython 4.

* I highly recommend releasing Remote add-on 2.2 to fix this issue.
* Perhaps adding a statement on nvdaremote.com website explaining
that Remote add-on should be disabled if using recent NVDA next
snapshots.
* The community should release an updated version of this add-on
with permission from add-on authors and maintainers.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Adriani Botez

I also see the responsibility to the addon authors who have been notified almost a year ago about this change. For a short time, it might throw NVDA a step backwards, but those are times where addon authors will be forced to do something for their addon to work.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Joseph Lee
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 19:08
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io; 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...>
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

Hi Jonathan,

• Need to move to Python 3: we’re researching foundations to move to Python 3 in the end, and wxPython 4 is the last dependency we need at this point.
  • wxPython 4: this version changes internals a bit, thus we ran into problems that we didn’t expect. Earlier this week I reported a problem where if you open a settings dialog and close it, NVDA won’t let you open others. This was fixed yesterday.
  • Attitudes from add-on authors about keeping up to date: we have add-ons that were written with old technology in mind, and it takes a bit of work to update the code to use newer interfaces and assumptions. Ideally add-on authors should do this themselves, but sometimes the community finds itself having to either locate the author or do the work ourselves. For the last twelve months, I’ve been telling the add-ons community to prepare for a day like this: making sure their add-on code works reliably with wxPython 4.
  • Inadequate preparations: we’re not adequately prepared enough as a community to help people affected by cases like Remote add-on, mostly having to do with attitudes and assumptions. I admit that I’m not free from taking the blame for the state of the add-ons community when it comes to preparing for wxPython 4, let alone Python 3 transition in the future. To me, if users cannot use their add-ons due to issues with wxPython 4 and Python 3, then I take it as a personal failure.

Cheers,

Joseph

Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

Adriani Botez

My statement applies in case it is known that the addon causes the conflict and not the implementation of WX 4 in NVDA.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Adriani Botez
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 19:33
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

I also see the responsibility to the addon authors who have been notified almost a year ago about this change. For a short time, it might throw NVDA a step backwards, but those are times where addon authors will be forced to do something for their addon to work.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Joseph Lee
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 19:08

Hi Jonathan,

Cheers,

Joseph

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

will this effect dictation bridge as well?

On 6/7/2018 9:14 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

• Perhaps adding a statement on nvdaremote.com website explaining that Remote add-on should be disabled if using recent NVDA next snapshots.
  • The community should release an updated version of this add-on with permission from add-on authors and maintainers.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Hi,

Will need to test that this weekend. There is a more urgent problem I just confirmed that I’m debugging at the moment.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of The Wolf
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:57 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

will this effect dictation bridge as well?

On 6/7/2018 9:14 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Sarah k Alawami

I  Actually did not take part in the  crowd funding  as I didn't believe this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so perosnally did not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and ask them to please fix? At least for some  of us who use it. I only used it once and that was this year.

Here's hoping for a fix eh?

On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:

Considering that, unlike other add-ons, we all crowdfunded the development of this very add-on, I'd hope something is done about it very soon,

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ervin, Glenn

I’ve never gotten it to work, I’ve tried several times since it came out.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:58 PM
To: nvda list list

I  Actually did not take part in the  crowd funding  as I didn't believe this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so perosnally did not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and ask them to please fix? At least for some  of us who use it. I only used it once and that was this year.

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jackie

I love it. I use it all the time. I was glad to participate in the
crowd funding.

On 6/7/18, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k
Alawami
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on
2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

I Actually did not take part in the crowd funding as I didn't believe
this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so perosnally did
not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and ask
them to please fix? At least for some of us who use it. I only used it once
and that was this year.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Mallard
<mallard@kimabe.eu<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>> wrote:

Considering that, unlike other add-ons, we all crowdfunded the development
of this very add-on, I'd hope something is done about it very soon,

Hi all,

It’s happening again: with the introduction of wxPython 4 in next snapshots,
users of NVDA Remote add-on are having startup issues related to missing
attribute in wxPython 4.

* Perhaps adding a statement on nvdaremote.com<http://nvdaremote.com>
website explaining
snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:34 am, Adriani Botez wrote:
My statement applies in case it is known that the addon causes the conflict and not the implementation of WX 4 in NVDA
Add-ons/extensions, in any setting that uses same, follow the core code - not the other way around.   The core functions cannot and will not stand still, and the add-ons sometimes cannot, either.

'Twas ever thus.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Richard Wells

I use it regularly with users. If this is not fixed before new release, I will need to stay back until they get it working. It is too important to my work.

On 6/7/2018 4:17 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon. I will, too, be staying back as this is used pretty regularly when I use NVDA.

On 07-Jun-2018 10:17 PM, Richard Wells wrote:

I use it regularly with users. If this is not fixed before new release, I will need to stay back until they get it working. It is too important to my work.

Glenn

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Steve Nomer

Is there any way to get the Remote Access function added to NVDA itself so it does not have to be implemented in an add-on? I'm using this function to control machines at a remote location for a telephone reader project in my city. I suspect others are becoming dependent on being able to access machines remotely as well.

Steve

On 6/7/2018 10:06 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon. I will, too, be staying back as this is used pretty regularly when I use NVDA.

Glenn

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

hi.
i agree with david moore.
i love nvda remote and use it a lot of times.
hope that it continue to work that i can get support from one of the
computer engineer who help me a lot.

On 6/8/18, Steve Nomer <swnomer@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any way to get the Remote Access function added to NVDA itself
so it does not have to be implemented in an add-on? I'm using this
function to control machines at a remote location for a telephone reader
project in my city. I suspect others are becoming dependent on being
able to access machines remotely as well.

Steve

On 6/7/2018 10:06 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon. I will, too, be staying back as
this is used pretty regularly when I use NVDA.

I use it regularly with users. If this is not fixed before new
release, I will need to stay back until they get it working. It is
too important to my work.

I’ve never gotten it to work, I’ve tried several times since it came
out.

Glenn

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf
Of *Sarah k Alawami
*Sent:* Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:58 PM
*To:* nvda list list
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote
Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release
recommended

I  Actually did not take part in the  crowd funding  as I didn't
believe this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so
perosnally did not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and
ask them to please fix? At least for some  of us who use it. I only
used it once and that was this year.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu
<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>> wrote:

Considering that, unlike other add-ons, we all crowdfunded the
development of this very add-on, I'd hope something is done about it
very soon,

Hi all,

It’s happening again: with the introduction of wxPython 4 in next
snapshots, users of NVDA Remote add-on are having startup issues
related to missing attribute in wxPython 4.

* Perhaps adding a statement on nvdaremote.com
<http://nvdaremote.com> website explaining
   snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So if you get a person with an older nvda using the current version and want to connect to them with the prospective new version of nvda later in the year with the fix, does that pose any issues?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: "nvda list list" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 6:58 PM

I Actually did not take part in the crowd funding as I didn't believe this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so perosnally did not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and ask them to please fix? At least for some of us who use it. I only used it once and that was this year.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,
No, as this has to do with GUI.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 11:53 PM

So if you get a person with an older nvda using the current version and want to connect to them with the prospective new version of nvda later in the year with the fix, does that pose any issues?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
To: "nvda list list" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 6:58 PM

I Actually did not take part in the crowd funding as I didn't believe this add on would ever happen, and I knew one of the devs so perosnally did not crowd fund it, I just will not go thee, not here.

Anyway yeah any way to get hold of the devs of the remote add on and ask them to please fix? At least for some of us who use it. I only used it once and that was this year.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

very soon,

Hi all,

snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just to clarify, i do not think its an issue in the new current rc3 of 2018.2 is it? its when the new code for getting ready for Python 3 hits nvda that we all may need to go on an add on updating spree. It also seems to me that for some reasons we are going to need old and new versions of add ons, as updates may screw it for the older installs. Those people may well be in companies and unable to update until their sys admins do so.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 4:06 AM

Hi,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon. I will, too, be staying back as this
is used pretty regularly when I use NVDA.

release, I will need to stay back until they get it working. It is too
important to my work.

Glenn

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Sarah k Alawami
recommended

I Actually did not take part in the crowd funding as I didn't

ask them to please fix? At least for some of us who use it. I only

very soon,

Hi all,

<http://nvdaremote.com> website explaining
snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,
It does not affect 2018.2.
As for dependencies and Python 3: we're not yet talking about Python 3 transition as something that's in progress; rather, we're talking about wxPython 4, a necessary milestone before we can even think about Python 3 work. Moving to Python 3 has huger implications than switching to wxPython 4, as some add-ons will break, especially those that are orphaned at this time (no maintainer, lost contact with authors, etc.).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 11:57 PM

Just to clarify, i do not think its an issue in the new current rc3 of
2018.2 is it? its when the new code for getting ready for Python 3 hits nvda that we all may need to go on an add on updating spree. It also seems to me that for some reasons we are going to need old and new versions of add ons, as updates may screw it for the older installs. Those people may well be in companies and unable to update until their sys admins do so.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 4:06 AM

Hi,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon. I will, too, be staying back as
this is used pretty regularly when I use NVDA.

release, I will need to stay back until they get it working. It is
too important to my work.

I’ve never gotten it to work, I’ve tried several times since it came
out.

Glenn

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf
Of *Sarah k Alawami
recommended

I Actually did not take part in the crowd funding as I didn't

ask them to please fix? At least for some of us who use it. I only

very soon,

Hi all,

<http://nvdaremote.com> website explaining that Remote add-on should
be disabled if using recent NVDA next snapshots.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph