Topics

brousers that speak the progress bars when downloading

n8mnx@att.net

    I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given folder?  Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

Danni

On i/e once you start a download then click the alt key go to downloads or view downloads it will update the progress almost to the point of annoying lol

    I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given folder?  Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

I don't know which browsers NVDA speaks the progress bars of for downloads.  But in my opinion, overreliance on progress bars is often the result of not being properly familiar with the program being used.  I'm not saying that to criticize you or anyone else.  I am stating a general conclusion that I believe is valid. In firefox, for example, during a download, issuing the command control j opens a library window where a list of previous downloads is displayed.  The first one in the list is the current download.  using the read current line command, numpad 8 in the desktop layout will give you information such as the speed of the download, the percent downloaded the estimated time to completion, and perhaps other information I don't now recall.  Leave that Window opened.  Then return to it and check from time to time if you want to see current information.  Others may be able to tell you how to see the progress bar in various browsers.

But my point is that there is often other ways to get information.  Also, there may be an add on in Firefox that will notify you when a download completes.  Others will have to discuss that.

    I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given folder?  Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If the download manager is used I think it is in internet explorer, mozilla fire fox google play and maybe more when you start downloading the files you can use the CTRL key + the letter J to bring up your downloads. You might have to tab around or in some cases where the files are up up and down to see what each file is up to. So i do not hear them all at times I will just turn off the progress bars thingy in NVDA with the nvda key + the letter U.

The download manager can usually be found under the tools section in the browsers.

hope this helps.

Gene nz

On 10/07/2016 5:04 AM, n8mnx@... wrote:

    I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given folder?  Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

hi.
yes. i use firefox and i press control+j to bring the library.
in this case, the focus is on the current download.
if you want to pause the download, you can press application ke and
use up and down in the arrow keys.
if you want to stop the download, you should first pause it and then
cancel the download.
you can resume the broken download with application and then the arrow keys.
its retry botton which is added to the firefox 33 and later.
hope thats help.
thanks and God bless you.

On 10/07/2016 5:04 AM, n8mnx@...<mailto:n8mnx@...> wrote:

I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I
down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I
uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when
I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
Hello,
I just joined this group.
I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.
I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.
Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given
folder? Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,
Richard

________________________________
[Avast logo]

Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Dejan Ristic

Hi friend,

I use Mozilla Firefox in order to hear progress changes while downloading.

My NVDA is set to Beep for progress bar updates. When I want to hear the progress updates while downloading, I must go to the Downloads window in Mozilla while my download process is at work. When I do that, I can hear the progress by means of the beep signal.

The progress announcement choice can be satisfied by using the NVDA key and the letter U to decide which of the announcements to choose.

I hope this helps.

On 7/9/2016 7:04 PM, n8mnx@... wrote:

    I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a given folder?  Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

Also to enable the download window you need to press controland f when in the web site.
Note that if you do not want also to hear the name of the file repeated on some systems, you can move to another entry and you can still hear the bleeps.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On 7/9/2016 7:04 PM, n8mnx@... wrote:

I am looking for a brouser that nvda will speak the progress bar
when I down load I use to use webie but today it no longer works even
after I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I really want to hear the
progress bar when I download to know if my downloads anre working or not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/9/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this group.

I am primarily a Window-Eyes user.

I’d like to learn to use NVDA more efficiently.

Is there a way to have NVDA speak the number of unread messages in a
given folder? Maybe an addon?

I’ve not found anything yet.

Thanks,

Richard

Avast logo

What are you referring to with this command?  Did you type it as you intended?  In browsers I am fimiliar with the command to open the download window is control j.  you appear to be saying that you need to use control f at some point.  That isn't my experience nor have I read this anywhere else.  Control f is a find command in most programs.

If opening and being in the download window allows the progress bar to be read, fine.  But there is, in my opinion, a much better and more efficient way to keep track of when a download completes if that is the goal.  in particular, if it still works, the Firefox add on that allows you to hear a sound when a download completes.