FW: Notes on NVDA and PowerPoint

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

I have been working all day on this topic and have put together the following notes about using PowerPoint with NVDA. Please let me know what you think of these notes. Have you any improvements to suggest?

I have used PowerPoint 2010 on Windows 10 using NVDA 2016.2 on my Desktop Pc.

Notes on the use of PowerPoint with NVDA

1. File opens in slide view

2. Page Down moves from slide to slide showing the title pane

For the first slide:

3. Press tab to move to the title placeholder. NVDA reads the title of the slide;

4. Press tab again to move to the subtitle placeholder. NVDA reads the subtitle;

5. Press tab again to move to the embedded graphic. NVDA  says "Graphic" if no alt text;

6. Press tab again to move to rectangle shape.

7. Press tab again to return to the title placeholder at the top of the slide

Press page down For the second slide:

8. Press tab to move to the title placeholder

9. Press tab to go to the text placeholder. NVDA reads all the text in the placeholder

10. Press numpad 9 and numbpad 7 to read the text in the placeholder line by line

11. Press tab to move to the graphic image. NVDA reports the location of the graphic in the computer when the alt text has not been filled in.

Press page down for the third slide

12. Press tab for the Title placeholder

13. Press tab for the object placeholder. NVDA reads all the text as in the text placeholder at 9 above

Press pagedown for slide 4;

Same as slide 3.

Press page down for slide 5

15. Press tab for footer placeholder. NVDA reads all text in the footer;

16. Press tab for slide number placeholder. NVDA reads out the number of the slide;

17. Press tab for title placeholder

18. Press tab for text placeholder.

19. Press tab to return to the footer placeholder.

control+home jumps to the first slide

control+end jumps to the last slide.

The Slide Show

Press F5 to start the slide show

NVDA reads the whole slide from top to bottom including the title and leaves the cursor at the bottom of the slide.

1. Press page down and page up to move from slide to slide. Note that it may be necessary to wait for a few seconds between key presses to allow the slide show to catch up;

2. Press numpad 9 and numpad 7 to read the contents of the slide line by line.

3. Press return or space bar to move to the next slide. Sometimes nothing happens and then do the instruction at 4 below.

4. Type the  number  of a slide followed by return to jump to that slide.

5. Press control-shift-s to switch back and forth between the slide and its accompanying notes.

6. Use F6 to move between the status bar pane, slide view pane, thumbnails pane and notes pane. Use the arrow keys to move through the options available in each of these panes. Use F6 to move to the chosen view to see the results.

7. Use the escape key to exit the slide show.