Topics

OpenOffice or LibreOffice

mk360

Hi,

I know that it was asked before, but versions are updated regularly and well, now I'm searching for the option... apparently LO is the best, but I don't know...

So, any info will be apreciated... note that I can install LO and OO simultanously, so if you can say what is the best for what option...

Thanks,

mk.

Quentin Christensen

I looked into this last year. How to Geek has a good comparison
article: http://www.howtogeek.com/187663/openoffice-vs.-libreoffice-whats-the-difference-and-which-should-you-use/

Basically LibreOffice has been more frequently updated and has a
slightly more "classic" (Say Microsoft Office pre the ribbon) look and
Open Office has a few more side bar options.

In terms of accessibility I'm not sure which is ahead though being
updated more often, if you encounter a problem, it might be easier to
get it addressed in LIbreOffice.

Note that there is also Open365, an online office suite based on
LibreOffice: https://open365.io/

Essentially it looks similar to LibreOffice but runs in a browser. As
you can probably guess..... steer clear of that one ;) I tried it a
month or so ago and while I could get around the system tray
component, the actual say word processor was unusable. Even aside
from accessibility issues (which were enough to nix it on their own -
it was sooo slow! I couldn't put up with it on that basis alone
either. I'm on ADSL 2 and while I wouldn't boast it to be the best
connection in the world, it's not THAT bad that it should have made
that much difference.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/22Point
Twitter: https://twitter.com/22PointApps

Check out our first app, RapiTap! - Tap targets fast & avoid decoys:
Adrenaline pumping, Challenging, Accessible!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitap
Free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitapfree

On 11 July 2016 at 04:55, mk360 <mk.seventhson@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I know that it was asked before, but versions are updated regularly and
well, now I'm searching for the option... apparently LO is the best, but I
don't know...

So, any info will be apreciated... note that I can install LO and OO
simultanously, so if you can say what is the best for what option...

Thanks,

mk.

Dean Masters <dwmasters15@...>

I read the article but does that mean Libera Office will be more accessible? I tried it earlier this year and found I could not use the spreadsheet at all with another screen reader. so I went back to Open Office.

Dean

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Dean,

I tried libre office but didn't really care for it too much. I think open office works better.

Rosemarie

[...]

David Mehler

Hello,

I have tried Libre office both with NVDA and jaws. In both cases it's
got a nasty habit at least on my machines of loosing focus, a lot,
like coming out of menus, saving documents, it's quite frustrating.
I've since uninstalled it.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 7/10/16, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Do they have a bug tracker you can post issues in so they can get that fixed? That was the same issue I was having with libreoffice. But I couldant find anywhere on the website to post issues.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

hi.
they both have the property that you can report your bugs and issues.
for example: you can report your bug about using libreoffice in this
site after registration.
www.bugs.libreoffice.org
i prefer libreoffice for many reasons, like:
support for different languages in its menu,
(i mean its user interface)
support all formats of microsoft office and many programs,
more features in comparission to openoffice, and the most important,
its group which are very friendly, kind, honest and intimate.

On 7/11/16, Kenny Peyattt jr. <p.wildcat1234@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

I had it on the windows 10 machine and every time I opened a blank doc the screenreader could not read it unless I went to desktop and back again. At present it has Jarte on it, but I may see if one of my older versions of Word will work on the machine. Word XP works on windows 7, but not on 10 which is mainly apparently due to the screen res.

Since we do not actually need a screen this seems to me to be bonkers.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

No and it seems to be ok in xp for somereason.
[...]

Have you tried the spreadsheet? Were you able to use it?

Dean

[...]

i cant use spred sheet and i dont know how to use it.
but i know that it is accessible because i studied the bugzilla.