NVDA as a toolbox?

tvalusek@...

Hello,

I can still use my eyes, although they are very week. I don't like the fact screenreaders still speak, but turning speech on and off frequently is cumbersome. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the kind of speech I call "automatic feedback". I don't need focus reporting, automatic active window reporting, and other such things, but I'd like to have instant spoken feedback when I invoke screenreader command involving NVDA key. It would be also nice if there was a way to set form mode as a default for web browsing.

The suggestions above are meant to enable a "toolbox mode" for NVDA, where it silently sits in background, not interfering in common computer use, but ready to speak whenever it's asked to. It would really enhance my user experience when working in Windows.

Tomas Valusek

Aravind R

press insert+s to turn off and on speach

On 7/12/16, tvalusek@seznam.cz <tvalusek@seznam.cz> wrote:
Hello,

I can still use my eyes, although they are very week. I don't like the fact
screenreaders still speak, but turning speech on and off frequently is
cumbersome. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the kind of
speech I call "automatic feedback". I don't need focus reporting, automatic
active window reporting, and other such things, but I'd like to have instant
spoken feedback when I invoke screenreader command involving NVDA key. It
would be also nice if there was a way to set form mode as a default for web
browsing.

The suggestions above are meant to enable a "toolbox mode" for NVDA, where
it silently sits in background, not interfering in common computer use, but
ready to speak whenever it's asked to. It would really enhance my user
experience when working in Windows.

Tomas Valusek
--
nothing is difficult unless you make it appear so.

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
bank of baroda retail loan factory, Chennai.
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

tvalusek@...

Yeah - and do it 50 times a day and you will be very amused.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Tomas,

You can keep NVDA running and turn off many of the features you don't wish to hear by using the keystrokes NVDA +5, NVDA + 6 and NVDA + 7 which toggle on and off dynamic changes, and changes due to review and focus changes. Try those keystrokes and see if you get significantly less vocal feedback.

On 7/12/2016 2:31 AM, tvalusek@seznam.cz wrote:
Hello,

I can still use my eyes, although they are very week. I don't like the fact screenreaders still speak, but turning speech on and off frequently is cumbersome. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the kind of speech I call "automatic feedback". I don't need focus reporting, automatic active window reporting, and other such things, but I'd like to have instant spoken feedback when I invoke screenreader command involving NVDA key. It would be also nice if there was a way to set form mode as a default for web browsing.

The suggestions above are meant to enable a "toolbox mode" for NVDA, where it silently sits in background, not interfering in common computer use, but ready to speak whenever it's asked to. It would really enhance my user experience when working in Windows.

Tomas Valusek
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gene

It would make no sense to have a forms mode by default option for browsing.  For one thing, the screen-reader would still speak in forms mode.  If you want the screen-reader not to interfere with your browsing, put it to sleep when you run the browser.  It is completely inactive then.  Do you know the sleep command?  I've used it so seldom that I'm not sure I remember it now but I'm sure others know it. 

Gene

------ Original Message ------From: tvalusek@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA as a toolbox?

Hello,

Tomas Valusek

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

To toggle NVDA’s sleep mode on and off, the keystroke is NVDA+shift+s: this is better than the speech mode toggle as it only has On and Off to toggle through. I don’t know of any way to make NVDA go automatically into sleep mode in certain places, but at least you only need one keystroke to make NVDA sleep and to bring back NVDA when you need it again.

I hope this helps!

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: mardi 12 juillet 2016 12:18
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA as a toolbox?

It would make no sense to have a forms mode by default option for browsing.  For one thing, the screen-reader would still speak in forms mode.  If you want the screen-reader not to interfere with your browsing, put it to sleep when you run the browser.  It is completely inactive then.  Do you know the sleep command?  I've used it so seldom that I'm not sure I remember it now but I'm sure others know it. 

Gene

------ Original Message ------From: tvalusek@...

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:31 AM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA as a toolbox?

Hello,

Tomas Valusek

Gene

I'm not sure just what kind of command you have in mind nor just what speech you want available and not.  There are many screen-review commands that don't use the NVDA key such as read current line.  Rather that stipulate a single key as determining when feedback is given, it might be far more useful to explain just how and in what kinds of specific cases you want feed back.  

I don't know if implementing your suggestions is practical but you might get better comments with more explanation. 

Also, you don't talk about if or when you use a magnifier.  Perhaps for some or most of your uses, a good magnifier program might meet your needs better than a screen-reader. 

Asking for suggestions and recommendations might yield better help with your needs.   

Gene

------ Original Message ----

Yeah - and do it 50 times a day and you will be very amused.

tvalusek@...

Hello,

One reason why no screenreader is running on my computer is it gets in my way when I'm using it. I use my machine visually, but I'd just like from time to time have the longer contents of a dialog box read aloud, ask which window is currently active if I get a beep instead of expected action to be done after switching from on desktop to another, and other powerful tricks a screenreader can do. When I tried to have NVDA launched in background, I got unexpected behavior when I switched to a browser window, since the browsing mode took away single letter commands I'm using to navigate feedly, Google+ and other such sites. That's why I want an option to have a from mode as a default when coming to a browser window. Remember, I use my eyes, not my ears to routinely navigate apps, but I'd like to make my life more comfortable by employing some screenreader features.

What seems to be an easiest way to achieve what I want? To create an AutoHotkey or AutoIt script which would catch NVDA-specific combos and switch speech and form mode as needed. But I'd still appreciate appropriate options in NVDA.

Tomas Valusek

Andre Fisher

While I understand what you are saying and asking, I can only say that
I highly doubt that this type of behaviour will ever be taken up by
any developer at this time. This is quite subjective, and boarders on
making the screen reader unusable. If you don't use NVDA for the basic
purpose it was used for, you can either try turning off speech
(NVDA+s) and turning it back on when you encounter text you want to
read. NVDA+B can be your friend for this. Sleep mode (NVDA+Shift+S or
Z) can also be your friend, but it is app specific. Additionally, in
the Browse mode settings dialog, uncheck all the automatic settings to
your liking. Uncheck all the document formatting settings if you want
as well. Download the No Beeps speech mode add-on as well, but what
you are looking for is too subjective.

On 7/12/16, tvalusek@seznam.cz <tvalusek@seznam.cz> wrote:
Hello,

One reason why no screenreader is running on my computer is it gets in my
way when I'm using it. I use my machine visually, but I'd just like from
time to time have the longer contents of a dialog box read aloud, ask which
window is currently active if I get a beep instead of expected action to be
done after switching from on desktop to another, and other powerful tricks a
screenreader can do. When I tried to have NVDA launched in background, I got
unexpected behavior when I switched to a browser window, since the browsing
mode took away single letter commands I'm using to navigate feedly, Google+
and other such sites. That's why I want an option to have a from mode as a
default when coming to a browser window. Remember, I use my eyes, not my
ears to routinely navigate apps, but I'd like to make my life more
comfortable by employing some screenreader features.

What seems to be an easiest way to achieve what I want? To create an
AutoHotkey or AutoIt script which would catch NVDA-specific combos and
switch speech and form mode as needed. But I'd still appreciate appropriate
options in NVDA.

Tomas Valusek

Laurie Mehta

"tvalusek@seznam.cz" wrote, in part:

"...Remember, I use my eyes, not my ears to routinely navigate apps, but I'd like to make my life more comfortable ..."

Feedback...
Several practical methods for disabling NVDA's speech features have been offered for your convenience on this list already.
NVDA, is in fact, NON Visual Desktop Access, and it is well-designed for its intended purpose.
Hopefully, developer time and resources will not be pressed upon to make changes that may undermine the currently smooth performance of NVDA for its intended use.
--------------------------------------------

On Tue, 7/12/16, tvalusek@seznam.cz <tvalusek@seznam.cz> wrote:

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 6:59 AM

Hello,
One reason why no screenreader is
running on my computer is it gets in my way when I'm
using it. I use my machine visually, but I'd just like
from time to time have the longer contents of a dialog box
read aloud, ask which window is currently active if I get a
beep instead of expected action to be done after switching