NVDA as a toolbox?

tvalusek@...

Hello,

I can still use my eyes, although they are very week. I don't like the fact screenreaders still speak, but turning speech on and off frequently is cumbersome. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the kind of speech I call "automatic feedback". I don't need focus reporting, automatic active window reporting, and other such things, but I'd like to have instant spoken feedback when I invoke screenreader command involving NVDA key. It would be also nice if there was a way to set form mode as a default for web browsing.

The suggestions above are meant to enable a "toolbox mode" for NVDA, where it silently sits in background, not interfering in common computer use, but ready to speak whenever it's asked to. It would really enhance my user experience when working in Windows.

Tomas Valusek

Aravind R

press insert+s to turn off and on speach

On 7/12/16, tvalusek@seznam.cz <tvalusek@seznam.cz> wrote:
[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

tvalusek@...

Yeah - and do it 50 times a day and you will be very amused.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Tomas,

You can keep NVDA running and turn off many of the features you don't wish to hear by using the keystrokes NVDA +5, NVDA + 6 and NVDA + 7 which toggle on and off dynamic changes, and changes due to review and focus changes. Try those keystrokes and see if you get significantly less vocal feedback.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

It would make no sense to have a forms mode by default option for browsing.  For one thing, the screen-reader would still speak in forms mode.  If you want the screen-reader not to interfere with your browsing, put it to sleep when you run the browser.  It is completely inactive then.  Do you know the sleep command?  I've used it so seldom that I'm not sure I remember it now but I'm sure others know it.

Gene

------ Original Message ------From: tvalusek@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA as a toolbox?

Hello,

I can still use my eyes, although they are very week. I don't like the fact screenreaders still speak, but turning speech on and off frequently is cumbersome. It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the kind of speech I call "automatic feedback". I don't need focus reporting, automatic active window reporting, and other such things, but I'd like to have instant spoken feedback when I invoke screenreader command involving NVDA key. It would be also nice if there was a way to set form mode as a default for web browsing.

The suggestions above are meant to enable a "toolbox mode" for NVDA, where it silently sits in background, not interfering in common computer use, but ready to speak whenever it's asked to. It would really enhance my user experience when working in Windows.

Tomas Valusek

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

To toggle NVDA’s sleep mode on and off, the keystroke is NVDA+shift+s: this is better than the speech mode toggle as it only has On and Off to toggle through. I don’t know of any way to make NVDA go automatically into sleep mode in certain places, but at least you only need one keystroke to make NVDA sleep and to bring back NVDA when you need it again.

I hope this helps!

Bye for now!

From Clare

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:31 AM

[...]

I'm not sure just what kind of command you have in mind nor just what speech you want available and not.  There are many screen-review commands that don't use the NVDA key such as read current line.  Rather that stipulate a single key as determining when feedback is given, it might be far more useful to explain just how and in what kinds of specific cases you want feed back.

I don't know if implementing your suggestions is practical but you might get better comments with more explanation.

Also, you don't talk about if or when you use a magnifier.  Perhaps for some or most of your uses, a good magnifier program might meet your needs better than a screen-reader.

Asking for suggestions and recommendations might yield better help with your needs.

Gene