Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:15 PM
Subject: [nvda] PayPal seems to be browser related

I just tried using PayPal with Internet Explorer 11 and it worked!
Don't know if something was changed in Firefox or if PayPal has just
added itself to an ever increasing number of web sites that just don't
work correctly with Firefox. These sites are usually ones dealing with
money--either sending, donating, or buying something online. Also I've
noticed that none of the Twitter clients like TW Blue or Chicken Nugget
can be authorized with Twitter unless I set my default browser to IE.
So for now, I'll just use IE when doing anything with PayPal and hope it
keeps working as it should.

Roger

On 7/12/2016 8:16 PM, Gene wrote, in part:  "every demanding blind Internet user should have at least two browsers on their machine."

Gene is correct; every internet user should have at least two browsers on their machine, and know how to use both at a basic level.  Issues between specific websites and individual web browsers have been on the rise for years.  Since you will never avoid it entirely, knowing how to use two or more web browsers is often the difference between success or failure, and that's whether you're blind or not.

I've got four:  Firefox (primary), Chrome (very close secondary), Edge (distant third), IE11 (fourth, not far behind Edge).

If you use add-ons or extensions that are ad blockers or privacy focused like HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, No Script, or the like it's really important to have one browser that does not have any of these installed.  There are times when it's an add-on or extension that is causing issues, and unless you know how to start your favored browser with add-ons/extensions disabled or want to try disabling these one-by-one, having a "naked" browser is a really easy way to avoid getting stuck when you have no time to be stuck.

Brian

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!
Interesting that you have so much trouble with Firefox, both for using PayPal and for authorizing Twitter clients! I made a payment with PayPal last week using Firefox 47.0 and had no problems at all. I had to re-authorise TWBlue relatively recently, also using Firefox, I forget which version, and that worked fine too. Firefox is my default browser, and I have never yet had to change the default to IE to do anything. Either I'm lucky not to have problems with Firefox while others do, or there must be some reason why this is happening to you and not to the rest of us, which I can't guess. Hopefully somebody can!
Bye for now!
From Clare

I just tried using PayPal with Internet Explorer 11 and it worked!
Don't know if something was changed in Firefox or if PayPal has just added itself to an ever increasing number of web sites that just don't work correctly with Firefox. These sites are usually ones dealing with money--either sending, donating, or buying something online. Also I've noticed that none of the Twitter clients like TW Blue or Chicken Nugget can be authorized with Twitter unless I set my default browser to IE.
So for now, I'll just use IE when doing anything with PayPal and hope it keeps working as it should.

Roger

Chris

Try a new clean profile
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firef
ox-profiles#w_creating-a-profile

Then see if you can use paypal

I just tried using PayPal with Internet Explorer 11 and it worked!
Don't know if something was changed in Firefox or if PayPal has just added
itself to an ever increasing number of web sites that just don't work
correctly with Firefox. These sites are usually ones dealing with
money--either sending, donating, or buying something online. Also I've
noticed that none of the Twitter clients like TW Blue or Chicken Nugget can
be authorized with Twitter unless I set my default browser to IE.
So for now, I'll just use IE when doing anything with PayPal and hope it
keeps working as it should.

Roger

Roger Stewart

I think this comes down to the fact that computers and programs are so complex now that they can easily have personalities of their own. So many variables that no 2 machines can ever be exactly alike. I changed nothing here, but the PayPal thing just came up a few days ago and before that, I could use Firefox no problem. However, I've never been able to authorize a twitter client using Firefox going back about 6 years when I started using The Qube.

Roger

On 7/13/2016 4:29 AM, Clare Page wrote:
Hi!
Interesting that you have so much trouble with Firefox, both for using PayPal and for authorizing Twitter clients! I made a payment with PayPal last week using Firefox 47.0 and had no problems at all. I had to re-authorise TWBlue relatively recently, also using Firefox, I forget which version, and that worked fine too. Firefox is my default browser, and I have never yet had to change the default to IE to do anything. Either I'm lucky not to have problems with Firefox while others do, or there must be some reason why this is happening to you and not to the rest of us, which I can't guess. Hopefully somebody can!
Bye for now!
From Clare
I just tried using PayPal with Internet Explorer 11 and it worked!
Don't know if something was changed in Firefox or if PayPal has just added itself to an ever increasing number of web sites that just don't work correctly with Firefox. These sites are usually ones dealing with money--either sending, donating, or buying something online. Also I've noticed that none of the Twitter clients like TW Blue or Chicken Nugget can be authorized with Twitter unless I set my default browser to IE.
So for now, I'll just use IE when doing anything with PayPal and hope it keeps working as it should.

Roger

.

Brian's Mail list account

I'd go along with that, but it does highlight that many sites are not sufficiently tested, which I imagine causes all sorts of users problems.
I've recently been # from google drive links nowt seeming to have any download link or button on Ie or firefox. Luckily people can use dropbox, but some use myspace and that has a custom downloader that seems to be totally inaccessible.
Who was it who said as one door closes another slams in your face? :-)

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Arlene

Well, it's best to have more then one browser on your system. I do. My online banking does not work with IE. Neither does paypal. I use firefox for those things.

Interesting that you have so much trouble with Firefox, both for using PayPal and for authorizing Twitter clients! I made a payment with PayPal last week using Firefox 47.0 and had no problems at all. I had to re-authorise TWBlue relatively recently, also using Firefox, I forget which version, and that worked fine too. Firefox is my default browser, and I have never yet had to change the default to IE to do anything. Either I'm lucky not to have problems with Firefox while others do, or there must be some reason why this is happening to you and not to the rest of us, which I can't guess. Hopefully somebody can!
Bye for now!
From Clare

I just tried using PayPal with Internet Explorer 11 and it worked!
Don't know if something was changed in Firefox or if PayPal has just added itself to an ever increasing number of web sites that just don't work correctly with Firefox. These sites are usually ones dealing with money--either sending, donating, or buying something online. Also I've noticed that none of the Twitter clients like TW Blue or Chicken Nugget can be authorized with Twitter unless I set my default browser to IE.
So for now, I'll just use IE when doing anything with PayPal and hope it keeps working as it should.

Roger

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 08:47 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote, in part:  "I'd go along with that, but it does highlight that many sites are not sufficiently tested, which I imagine causes all sorts of users problems."

I can't even say that I agree with that assertion anymore.  There are, as Roger Stewart observed, just too many variables outside the control of the developers "out there in the wild" that it is impossible to take into account every possible eventuality.   Things people overlook are things like cache corruption, add-on conflicts, that they're using a browser or browser version that's long been unsupported, they've got security suites installed that are taking a "maximum lockdown" approach, etc.

I've virtually never failed to get a site to work on any browser when it's working on a bunch of others if I'm willing to put in the time and effort to figure out what element it is that's causing the snafu.  I will admit that I seldom do that, as this situation is infrequent and if I can't get something to work on Firefox or Chrome I just punt to IE11 or Edge for that site.  My health insurance with Anthem Blue Cross falls under that category.  If I want to be able to freely access all the site features I have to use either IE11 or Edge, both of which are completely free of any add-ons, toolbars, etc.

I agree.
Hard for us techs to actually fix it if it falls over, oh for the simplicities of dos.

On 14/07/2016 3:02 a.m., Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

From Clare