Question about diminished expectations of blind people, by people who can see

Walker, Michael E

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Gene

This message isn't even remotely on topic for this list.  To discuss it, you can join a group like blind-x, which I don't have subscription information for but I can get if you want it.

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Question about diminished expectations of blind people, by people who can see

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

can I get that blind x list? I used to be on there ages ago but lost the subscription info

please email me off list

Hank

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:30 AM

--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Walker, Michael E

Best regards,

Mike

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:30 AM

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Lenron

info to that list would be nice, but this happens and well most of the
time you can only show a few people at a time.

On 6/11/18, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com> wrote:
Thank you, Gene. I would like the subscription information. Apologies for
this being off-topic. I know some lists do tolerate some off-topic
discussions, as long as they are clean.

Best regards,
Mike

This message isn't even remotely on topic for this list. To discuss it, you
can join a group like blind-x, which I don't have subscription information
for but I can get if you want it.

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings
about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social
situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work.
People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the
same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I
received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or
fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Walker, Michael E

Meaning you can only show a few people about blindness at a time?

Thanks,
Mike

[...]

We allow off topic discussion to a certain extent but this isn't even remotely connected with technology and it is also likely to stir up a lot of discussion on the list.

Gene, moderator

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:30 AM

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well apart from not putting such questions on this list you mean chuckle. sorry could not resist that.
To me its their problem not mine. I used to worry about it, but in the end it just makes you bitter and twisted. Some people just will never get it, so its a waste of time.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Gene

I didn't think I had subscription information for Blind-x but I checked and I do.  Here are the instructions, from the list owner.

In the body of the message write:  subscribe blind-x firstname lastname

This means your real first and last names, please, though you may use
an initial if you desire.

I will then send you a copy of the list rules and standards, please
read them and tell me you've done so.  Then, I'll subscribe you.

Walker, Michael E

Got it. Just awaiting approval now. Thank you.

I didn't think I had subscription information for Blind-x but I checked and I do.  Here are the instructions, from the list owner.

In the body of the message write:  subscribe blind-x firstname lastname

This means your real first and last names, please, though you may use
an initial if you desire.

I will then send you a copy of the list rules and standards, please
read them and tell me you've done so.  Then, I'll subscribe you.

Rosemarie Chavarria

My family knows what I'm able to do but for the most part, I don't have time to educate people who don't really want to learn about blindness. I figure if they don't get it by now, they never will.

On 6/11/2018 7:51 AM, Lenron wrote:
[...]

You're right, and if they don't get it by now and don't have an interest for you to take the time to educate them, they'll never get it.

We need to honor Gene's request though, and take this to Blind-X, if anyone else has anything to add. I didn't initially know this was too off-topic for this list, but I do now.

Thank you for sharing your perspectives on this though. This is a question I have been pondering for many years.

Mike

This message isn't even remotely on topic for this list. To discuss
it, you can join a group like blind-x, which I don't have
subscription information for but I can get if you want it.

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples'
misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy
away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work.
People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at
the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I
received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot
cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Rosemarie Chavarria

I do agree and will honor Gene's request.

On 6/11/2018 11:12 AM, Walker, Michael E wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Be advised that this listserve.icors.org is an ancient and very quirky list serve. In particular, many messages formatted in Microsoft Word or similar office type programs will show an unimaginably painful amount of those nasty extraneous characters embedded within each e-mail message.  I know this because the Blind Hams list used to reside on that server and eventually by rather loud and contentious popular demand, the moderators switched to a more modern server and we now have no such issues.

You have been warned.

On 6/11/2018 11:18 AM, Gene wrote:
I didn't think I had subscription information for Blind-x but I checked and I do.  Here are the instructions, from the list owner.

In the body of the message write:  subscribe blind-x firstname lastname

This means your real first and last names, please, though you may use
an initial if you desire.

I will then send you a copy of the list rules and standards, please
read them and tell me you've done so.  Then, I'll subscribe you.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Maybe its time to try to convince the owner about switching to Groups.io.  I'm not on the list so I'll leave it to those directly concerned.