better notepad works great with NVDA!

Josh Kennedy

Hi,

I found something better than notepad2. It is called notepad3! You can get it here. Its free.

https://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/notepad3/

works good with NVDA. And during install you can tell it to replace the standard windows 7 8 or 10 notepad. You do not have to be a programmer to use it. But you can use it for programming if you wish. It has blank line removal and all kinds of neat things on its menu bar.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

hi.
does it support unicode?
because i read my farsi documents in utf8
also, does it support windows xp?
thanks for your introducing this software.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

i downloaded and installed it, but unfortunately does not support windows xp!
i installed it easily, but when i launched it, i recieved this error.

C:\Program Files\Notepad3\Notepad3.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
does it mean that this program does not support windows xp?

On 6/11/18, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi,
I'm pretty sure the website said it only supported 7, 8, and 10. It may have even said Vista, but I'm afraid there's a lot of software written today that doesn't support XP. Believe it or not, XP is about 16 years old. I believe even NVDA itself has stopped support for XP now.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 11/06/2018 08:03 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

Ervin, Glenn

Maybe try running the Windows compatibility on it.
Go to the .EXE file in question, and tap the applications key, and up arrow to properties.
Control + tab to the compatibility tab and make necessary changes.
Glenn

[...]

thanks so much for advicing about compatibility mode, i appreciate you.
but unfortunately it did not work!
because i only had windows 95, 98 nt4 and 2000 in the list.

On 6/11/18, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:
[...]

You might try making it compatible with 98, and then it might work for XP.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It might be that its a 64 bit app. Some programs now are. I think it may well be that the old notepad ++ will work at least in a prior version.

I have not tried akel pad as yet on xp.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Yes but at least on Intel processor units, ccleaner still works on xp as do many programs. However of course as people move to newer development environments many of the calls to windows core routines do not think about xp or vista any more as the interface has been so extended in 7.

I like 7, my main gripe with 10 is its eternal reinvention every six months. I think this matters to us more than the sighted as normally something breaks or works differently for us, but the sighted tend to just cope with it.

[...]

Yes I know how can it know about newer windows. it has not got a time machine.
I'm actually very surprised some hackers have not actually got into XP and added some new routines that emulate the new operating systems ones to make it still work. I guess there is not really a call for it most of the time.
I just think that by now even in hard to get at countries, there should be windows 7 machines being pensioned off that can be reformatted and used perfectly acceptably.
[...]

hi again.
thanks for your guide, in the compatibility mode, i selected windows
98 and recieved the same error again.
is there any solution?
by the way, does this program support export as html?
i tried SciTe as mentioned in other post and it was the only program
which had this capability!

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  I am afraid there is no solution for this.  The developers of the program specifically targetted the newer windows Operating systems and did not provide any support for the older versions of windows.  It is possible to provide support for xp, but you need to download the windows xp build tools when you are developing the program and create the version specifically for xp users, and they did not do that.  Because Notepad++ is an open source program, it would be possible to grab the source code and tweak it to target xp users, but i do believe some of the code has to be rewritten for that to happen and it will take a great deal of time.  Cheers!

On 6/12/2018 4:12 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Notepad ++ in particular has been around for quite a long time, though. Not sure about these other notepad alternatives. You could check
http://www.oldversion.com/

They have everything. You'll likely be able to find a version that supported XP.

[...]

I found notepad3 had some bugs regarding moving the cursor and NVDA, so I went back to notepad2.

hi.
thanks so much for sharing your observation.
i believe that notepad plus plus has issue cursor too.
for example: when i press home to go to the beginning of line, my
cursor is in some previous line, not current line which i am editing
or reading.
is this issue with notepad3 too?
does notepad2 has not this issue?
thanks again for your help and advice.
God bless you!

On 6/13/18, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
I found notepad3 had some bugs regarding moving the cursor and NVDA, so I
went back to notepad2.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i forgot to say i have the issue of using home key, i think because i
activated wordwrap.
i think without activating wordwrap, i dont have such issues.