For windows 7 users


Jessica D <jldail13@...>
 

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.


Walker, Michael E
 

Except for if you are on a workstation where you do not have access to upgrade to Windows 10, given your message, then you should use NVDA 2017.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.


Jackie
 

I don't think this is correct information. Here's what they say
regarding system requirements.
"NVDA runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows.
The minimum Operating System required to run NVDA is Windows 7 with
Service pack 1. " So yes--Win7 users will need to have SP1, but that
should be onboard anyway.

On 6/13/18, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com> wrote:
Except for if you are on a workstation where you do not have access to
upgrade to Windows 10, given your message, then you should use NVDA 2017.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica
D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.






--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com


Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

That is quite incorrect, as i've been using the rc3 for some days with no issues at all, indeed i am using both master and next as well on windows 7. What you may be encountering is a problem with the way old versions update compared to new ones. I have encountered this. You can often need to force it to make it work.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica D" <jldail13@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:21 PM
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users


Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.



Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Rubbish. You should be OK with the new version the problem may well be elsewhere not in the fact that it has any issues. it does not for me.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walker, Michael E" <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] For windows 7 users


Except for if you are on a workstation where you do not have access to upgrade to Windows 10, given your message, then you should use NVDA 2017.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.






Tyler Wood
 

I just updated NVDA to 2018.2 on 2 windows 7 machines flawlessly.


Really, read the manual is not so hard and something people should learn to do before posting things like this :(.

On 13-Jun-2018 1:07 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Rubbish. You should be OK with the new version the problem may well be elsewhere not in the fact that it has any issues. it does not for me.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Walker, Michael E" <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] For windows 7 users


Except for if you are on a workstation where you do not have access to upgrade to Windows 10, given your message, then you should use NVDA 2017.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.








 

Hmmm nvda updated just fine on my windows 7x64 box, I had to manually get it for the 32 bit desktop I have here because it wouldn't.

On 6/14/2018 4:21 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.


Andy
 

Well, i run Win 7 and already have NVDA 2018.1.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica D" <jldail13@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users


Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.



 

Hey,

I was wondering, is it possible that when NV Access blocked the NVDA 2018.1.1 update for non-Windows 10 users, they accidentally blocked the update to 2018.2 too?

Sincerely,
Artin Dekker


Gene
 

I would only suggest it if there is a feature or features in Windows 10 you want or if there are features in new versions of NVDA you want. 
 
Gene

-=---- Original Message -----
From: Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.




Andy
 


Upgrading an operating system may have many consequences, depending on your system, and must be carefully considered. Upgrading from Win 7 to 10 may mean that your older peripherals such as printers and scanners may no longer work because updated drivers may not be available. I generally do not upgrade an operating system until I get a new PC. Keep in mind that Win 7 will be supported until 2020, and perhaps longer. There are still many people and even businesses that are still successfully using Windows XP.
 
Andy
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] For windows 7 users

I would only suggest it if there is a feature or features in Windows 10 you want or if there are features in new versions of NVDA you want. 
 
Gene
-=---- Original Message -----
From: Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.




 

To be honest the only device I think will not work fully will be one of my usb soundcards but I can probably run that without drivers and it will work without its effects and gaming  for older games but still.

As for scanners and printers, a friend had the same issue, upgraded the system and while the printer worked as well as the scanner it was not updated and he had to buy another one, the unit was 10 years old though.

My multifunction is like that but its getting older so we will eventually have to get it sorted the latest drivers will not install but the printer's own internal older drivers will so.

On the other side I got my aunt a nice unit with everything and all set up no hastle so who knows, prices are dropping down.

On 6/14/2018 8:48 AM, Andy wrote:
Upgrading an operating system may have many consequences, depending on your system, and must be carefully considered. Upgrading from Win 7 to 10 may mean that your older peripherals such as printers and scanners may no longer work because updated drivers may not be available. I generally do not upgrade an operating system until I get a new PC. Keep in mind that Win 7 will be supported until 2020, and perhaps longer. There are still many people and even businesses that are still successfully using Windows XP.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] For windows 7 users


I would only suggest it if there is a feature or features in Windows 10 you want or if there are features in new versions of NVDA you want.

Gene
-=---- Original Message -----

From: Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users


Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.








Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

Firstly as many have noted, NVDA 2018.2 will run just fine on Windows 7, as long as you have Windows 7 SP1 installed.  What seems to be the issue is simply the check for updates.  I think Artin might have found the answer though - My windows 7 machine running NVDA 2018.1 didn't see the update.  When I installed 2017.3 on that machine, and checked for updates, it can see 2018.2.

In any case, if you are running Windows 7 and not finding the update when checking, if you download manually from https://www.nvaccess.org/download/ it should install and update just fine.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:59 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
To be honest the only device I think will not work fully will be one of my usb soundcards but I can probably run that without drivers and it will work without its effects and gaming  for older games but still.

As for scanners and printers, a friend had the same issue, upgraded the system and while the printer worked as well as the scanner it was not updated and he had to buy another one, the unit was 10 years old though.

My multifunction is like that but its getting older so we will eventually have to get it sorted the latest drivers will not install but the printer's own internal older drivers will so.

On the other side I got my aunt a nice unit with everything and all set up no hastle so who knows, prices are dropping down.




On 6/14/2018 8:48 AM, Andy wrote:
Upgrading an operating system may have many consequences, depending on your system, and must be carefully considered. Upgrading from Win 7 to 10 may mean that your older peripherals such as printers and scanners may no longer work because updated drivers may not be available. I generally do not upgrade an operating system until I get a new PC. Keep in mind that Win 7 will be supported until 2020, and perhaps longer. There are still many people and even businesses that are still successfully using Windows XP.

Andy

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: Gene
   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
   Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:35 PM
   Subject: Re: [nvda] For windows 7 users


   I would only suggest it if there is a feature or features in Windows 10 you want or if there are features in new versions of NVDA you want.

   Gene
   -=---- Original Message -----

   From: Jessica D
   Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:21 AM
   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
   Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users


   Hi,
   This message is for Windows 7 users.

   You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
   2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
   I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.
















--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Clare Page <clare.page@...>
 

Hi!
Although I haven't yet read any replies to the announcement below, I wish to point out that it isn't totally true.
I admit that when I checked for NVDA updates yesterday, after reading that NVDA 2018.2 had been released, I was told there was no update available, but I was already using NVDA 2018.1, and I was able to download the 2018.2 installer and install the new version without any problems.
I wish to add that NVDA 2018.2 is working fine on this computer, which has Windows 7 Service pack 1 on it.
Since this laptop is now seven years old, I don't feel ready to upgrade it to Windows 10, but my next computer, when I get that, is likely to have Windows 10 on it.
Bye for now!
From Clare

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: mercredi 13 juin 2018 18:22
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.


Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Clare,

Shortly after NVDA 2018.1 came out, Microsoft made a change to the OneCore voices in the version of Windows 10 that was about to go live for users.  We had to release 2018.1.1 to include a fix purely for that so the Windows 10 users using OneCore voices wouldn't be affected.  Because it only affected that one thing, we figured if we disabled the update for Windows 7 and 8 users, they wouldn't be bothered by being asked to download an update that didn't change anything for them.

Unfortunately in doing that, what we did was disable ALL future updates for Windows 7 / 8 users on our server - you could still download the latest version manually, which was what I recommended earlier today - and it would work fine, it was just the update routine that didn't work as expected.

In any case, we've now fixed it, and anyone running Windows 7 or 8 should be able to check for updates successfully now.

As an aside, Microsoft have publicised that Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.  So, you can expect that NVDA will support Windows 7 at least until then - and as with Windows XP - for as long afterwards as we can manage without impacting our ability to keep working and improving the experience for everyone else.  So, while your next computer will almost certainly come with Windows 10, you can rest assured that you don't need to change from Windows 7 if you don't want to because of NVDA for at least the next couple of years.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:32 PM, Clare Page <clare.page@...> wrote:
Hi!
Although I haven't yet read any replies to the announcement below, I wish to point out that it isn't totally true.
I admit that when I checked for NVDA updates yesterday, after reading that NVDA 2018.2 had been released, I was told there was no update available, but I was already using NVDA 2018.1, and I was able to download the 2018.2 installer and install the new version without any problems.
I wish to add that NVDA 2018.2 is working fine on this computer, which has Windows 7 Service pack 1 on it.
Since this laptop is now seven years old, I don't feel ready to upgrade it to Windows 10, but my next computer, when I get that, is likely to have Windows 10 on it.
Bye for now!
From Clare

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: mercredi 13 juin 2018 18:22
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] For windows 7 users

Hi,
This message is for Windows 7 users.

You will not receive NVDA 2018.2
2017.4 is the last version you'll get.
I'd highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10.










--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess