Topics

Administrative privileges.

Hi Group,

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Sarah k Alawami

Did you turn on the hidden admin account? You need to do this in the terminal. You can disable it after you are done.

https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

On Jun 13, 2018, at 11:58 AM, Nevzat Adil <@Nev> wrote:

Hi Group,

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

No I did not turn on the hidden admin account. How do I do that?
The instructions given in the link you provided did not work.
Nevzat

Did you turn on the hidden admin account? You need to do this in the
terminal. You can disable it after you are done.

https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

On Jun 13, 2018, at 11:58 AM, Nevzat Adil <@Nev> wrote:

Hi Group,

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

When you go to Settings, Accounts, Your Info, is the account noted as being "Administrator" or "Standard"?

If it's marked as Administrator you have the ability to run commands or do anything else with elevated privileges, but that elevation does not occur by default.

If there is only one account on a Windows 10 computer it is highly unlikely it is not an account with Administrator status and privileges.

All of the above being said, one does not need to open a shortcut with admin privileges to add a keyboard shortcut.  For any desktop shortcut I've tried to add a keyboard shortcut for, the only option, and it occurs whether one its CTRL alone, ALT alone, or CTRL + ALT is that the shortcut will start with CTRL+ALT followed by the character one types while holding down the previously noted key or two keys (and, of course, that letter has not already been assigned to another desktop shortcut or system shortcut).

Sarah k Alawami

No, there is an even further hidden admin account You have to turn it on via the windows command prompt.

On Jun 13, 2018, at 3:49 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do remember on my abortive attempt to use windows 10, there was a checkbox or radio button somewhere that allowed you to put and alter desktop shorttcuts, over and above actually having admin rights. I seem to recall early installers of nvda fell foul of this function and hence failed to update or install.

Not having 10 right now I'm not sure if this was cured by nvda using a different approach or by telling folk to actually tweak windows settings.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 06:37 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
No, there is an even further hidden admin account You have to turn it on via the windows command prompt.
And the Admin account is not necessary in any way to have an account with administrator privileges.  Most machines never, ever have it activated.  That's not what any prompt saying you need admin privileges is proposing that you do.

Chris Mullins

Hi Nevzat
I would have thought you should be able to assign shortcuts as these are personal to your account and don't affect other users, so should not require admin priviledges. If you are using a work computer it maybe that a corporate group policy is in effect which denies the capability but this would be unlikely.

As Brian asked, is your user account standard or administrator? Could you give us more information, such as operating system being used, work or home computer, is yours the only account on the computer etc.

The process I would use to assign a shortcut key is:
Select desktop icon
Press alt+enter to open properties
Tab to the shortcut key control and press the shortcut letter alone, the CTRL+Alt part of the command is added automatically by Windows
Tab to OK and press enter.

If you get an error after pressing OK, please give full details

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Chris, yes, I get an error message saying I need to have administrator
permission. My operating system is Windows 10. I believe I have
standard user account. I tried to change user account and typed my
name and I was told that user account already exists. If I type
administrator would it change to that?
Nevzat

On 6/14/18, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
[...]

Only an administrator account can change a standard account to an administrator account. That is why I asked if there are any other accounts on the computer. If there are no other accounts, let me know and I'll give you details of a different method of solving the problem.

You can check if there are any other accounts by pressing Windows+i to open Settings, then press enter on Accounts. Tab to the list of topics and arrow down to Family and other people and press enter. Tab to the list of other account names and types on the machine and see if there is a user account with administrator privilidges. If there is, get the person to log on using that account, then they could use this settings process to edit your account details and change it from standard to administrator.

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Hi all,

I solved the problem by going to Control Panel and User accounts. But
my problem with assigning a shortcut key to an icon on the desktop
still persists. I press alt+enter to go to properties for the shortcut
I have a problem what to write in the "start in" edit field. The
desktop icon in question is JAWS.
I thank you all for your responses.
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If it is just asigning the shortcut after you have gone into the
properties tab down to shortcut and asign one.

I think you can only use alt + ctrl + a letter like J for jaws or
another letter.

Make sure you save the settings.

Gene nz

On 6/16/2018 3:03 AM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

You can use control, alt, and shift as key modifiers for the shortcut to launch the program.  I use alt-control-N for NVDA, and alt-control.shift-n for Narrator.

[...]

If the desktop icon was correctly created, the "Start in" field will be filled in already. You just need to tab to the next field which is the shortcut key, then just press the letter you want to use (ctrl+alt will be added by Windows), tab to OK and press enter.

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Chris, the icon was created automatically when I downloaded it.
Nevzat

On 6/16/18, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Hi Nevzat
If the desktop icon was correctly created, the "Start in" field will be
filled in already. You just need to tab to the next field which is the
shortcut key, then just press the letter you want to use (ctrl+alt will be
added by Windows), tab to OK and press enter.

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Chris Mullins

Nevzat
If that's the case, it should already have the shortcut key set-up. Does jaws start when you press control+alt+j?

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

It used to but not anymore; that's why I am trying to redo it but I
have no administrator permission according to the message I get.
Nevzat

On 6/16/18, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Nevzat
If that's the case, it should already have the shortcut key set-up. Does
jaws start when you press control+alt+j?

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Sarah k Alawami

I wonder if using the sublinux system would work. Can you chmod and chown the shortcut or something so that it can then be modified?

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:17 PM, Nevzat Adil <@Nev> wrote:

It used to but not anymore; that's why I am trying to redo it but I
have no administrator permission according to the message I get.
Nevzat

On 6/16/18, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Nevzat
If that's the case, it should already have the shortcut key set-up. Does
jaws start when you press control+alt+j?

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Chris Mullins

Nevzat
Did you install Jaws yourself using the same account?

Cheers
Chris

I am trying to assign shortcut keys to icons on the desktop, but it
won't go through as I am told I have no administrative privileges.
Using NVDA how do I get administrative privilege on my computer?
Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Nevzat

Chris, I installed it from a disk. But recently I noticed the shortcut
no longer was there. After I updated Windows 10 the other day, K1000
reverted to demo version. Now I have to update K1000 to version 14. I
was told it was due to an update to Windows 10. I wonder if it did
affect Jaws shortcut, as well. My duxbury software also had a glitch,
but somehow I fixed that by going to control panel and user account.

Sarah, I have no idea what sublinux system
is.