Issue with Copying to clipboard

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello all,

I haven't followed the list for some time, so I don't know whether this has been discussed previously.

For a few days now, I find that I can't copy text to clipboard via the NVDA+f9-NVDA+f10 commands.
Actually, I find it difficult also to select text using the normal Windows Shift+Down Arrow command. The only thing that seems to work is selecting by character.

I'm running Windowss10, with the latest NVDA Next snapshot, but this has been going on for a week at least.

I first noticed it after installing the development version of Instant Translate to test, but I don't think this has anything to do with the issue.
Just to make sure, I uninstalled the add-on, but the problem didn't go away.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? How have you solved it, if you have at all?
Ciao, thanks in advance.
Ollie

Jacob Kruger

Both forms of selection work fine for me?

What review mode are you working with?

Ask since, while don't think it should cause an issue, I am in sort of default object review mode, but, think, at least the f9/f10 commands should work fine in screen review mode as well, but, for the standard shift selection, make sure you are in object review mode, just in case.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-07-14 1:51 PM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

I haven't followed the list for some time, so I don't know whether this has been discussed previously.

For a few days now, I find that I can't copy text to clipboard via the NVDA+f9-NVDA+f10 commands.
Actually, I find it difficult also to select text using the normal Windows Shift+Down Arrow command. The only thing that seems to work is selecting by character.

I'm running Windowss10, with the latest NVDA Next snapshot, but this has been going on for a week at least.

I first noticed it after installing the development version of Instant Translate to test, but I don't think this has anything to do with the issue.
Just to make sure, I uninstalled the add-on, but the problem didn't go away.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? How have you solved it, if you have at all?
Ciao, thanks in advance.
Ollie

Peter Beasley

You now have to press the F10 twice in order to copy text to the clipboard. I don't know why they have done this.

[...]

Oh, gosh! I'd never have thought of that... Thanks. I too don't understand why that was done, unless they want to use NVDA+f10 for something else... But, in that case, why not do it the other way around? lol

Ciao,

Ollie

-----Original Message----- From: Mallard
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Thanks Jacob,

The problem was really that I only pressed f10 once, as usual, but now it's f10 twice to copy selection...

Odd indeed!

Ciao,

Ollie

On 2016-07-14 1:51 PM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

I haven't followed the list for some time, so I don't know whether this has been discussed previously.

For a few days now, I find that I can't copy text to clipboard via the NVDA+f9-NVDA+f10 commands.
Actually, I find it difficult also to select text using the normal Windows Shift+Down Arrow command. The only thing that seems to work is selecting by character.

I'm running Windowss10, with the latest NVDA Next snapshot, but this has been going on for a week at least.

I first noticed it after installing the development version of Instant Translate to test, but I don't think this has anything to do with the issue.
Just to make sure, I uninstalled the add-on, but the problem didn't go away.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? How have you solved it, if you have at all?
Ciao, thanks in advance.
Ollie

Brian's Mail list account

I think selecting and copying text in windows 10 is an issue in itself. Its one of the things that seems to often not work, or be very delayed compared to other versions of windows.
I do not know if this only happens when nvda is in use, as I'd supposed it was the old sluggishness of uia issues on some machines.
Flakey if doing a lot seems to be the issue. It not so bad on 7 and fine on xp here.

I think we need a sighted person to do some tests with andwithout nvda just using the normal windows keys not the mouse.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

This does not explain though why ordinary windows cut and paste is slow and unreactive.
[...]

I am using windows7 and it is only using recent master snapshots that I have to press the f10 twice.

[...]

I don't - I just press NVDA + F9 to start selection, and NVDA + F10 handles the copy to clipboard between the two points.

And, this is with latest, 2016.2.1.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Ollie, I have only been pressing NVDA + F10 once, and it's been working for me all along - odd indeed...<smile>

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-07-14 1:51 PM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

[...]

Copy/cut and paste works fine for me under windows 10 64 bit, on my lenovo laptop machine, running either NVDA 2016.2.1, or, at times jaws 17 demo.

For testing, you could just turn on narrator, and turn off NVDA?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-07-14 5:01 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
This does not explain though why ordinary windows cut and paste is slow and unreactive.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley23@...>

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Arlene

Hi there: Are you using a windows ten lap top? Or a regular desktop?

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

With 16.1 that is correct, but ist hads changed now.

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

with 16.1 that is correct, but it has now changed.

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Lenovo W52 laptop, with windows 10 64 bit, but, might it make a difference that I always use external USB keyboard with it?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

And, just tested it with laptop's built in keyboard, but, with keyboard layout still set to desktop, and worked fine, with both kinds of copy/paste.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Peter, 2016.2.1 - don't think that's latest snapshot, but, latest production version?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

David Moore

Hi,
That is what I do as well. That is the best way to copy exactly what you want to the clipboard.
David Moore

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Hi Olli,

You may used as alternative keystroke by copying certain text by pressing Control plus shift plus left or right arrow keys. You have to ensure to move the focus position to the word or text first to make it more effectively to select and copy from the clipboard.

Robert Mendoza

On 7/14/2016 7:51 PM, Mallard wrote:
[...]

Brian Gaff wrote, in part, "I think we need a sighted person to do some tests with and without nvda just using the normal windows keys not the mouse."

If someone wants to send me the file on which they'd like me to do the test (so that it's open in the program that seems to be causing difficulty) I'd be happy to do this.

I routinely use the Windows CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V commands in a variety of programs, and between them, but generally without NVDA.  I've never had a single problem with these keyboard shortcuts in any way.  I can also do whatever you wish using NVDA.