Topics

Dropbox innaccessibility again

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its totally empty of any controls that read at all.

Anyone care to comment?
If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to Dropbox to get them to correct this.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Roger Stewart

Also, it's now very difficult to accept an invite from another person to share a folder.  You used to just get an email and it says who is asking you to share and there are 2 buttons--one says accept and the other says decline.  That was so easy!  Now you are taken to a web page of some kind and it asks you to solve a captcha and this can no longer be done as Webvisum is finished for Firefox, and I know of nothing like it that works with any other browser.  Seems like dropbox wants us to just go away.

Roger

On 6/16/2018 6:34 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its totally empty of any controls that read at all.

Anyone care to comment?
If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to Dropbox to get them to correct this.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I tried that under Win10 and Dropbox 51.4 with NVDA 2018.2.
I can share a folder, I right click it in the dropbox folder and select
share. In the window coming up I select write or read only in the dropdown
then I enter an email address and tab to the comment edit field, enter some
comments and tab to the Enter and share button. That's it for me, the folder
is shared and a message is send to the email I entered.

Regards,
Ralf

I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version this
dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page saying
its the shaere with another user item, but just like the preferences and the
delete from all machines and devices one its totally empty of any controls
that read at all.

Anyone care to comment?
If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to Dropbox
to get them to correct this.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't think so, is there no audio version?
The problem is everyone these days is security paranoid. I did not know about the capchar, but I have just sent them an email about the inaccessible dialogues and messages.
I also have a big list of some of the problems on the dev list but no dev has commented. I shall turn it into a ticket if i get time this weekend. However if its not possible to tweak nvda to get these things to read, not withstanding the cap char then i feel that somebody in NVDA a programmer really needs to have a word with them as they talk the same language. A lot of it is written in python QT and C. It should be perfectly possible to fix the dialogues as they made them work before.
As for the Capchar, Google is gradually removing those in favour of a question based system like.
If the sky is cloudy is it blue.
To which the answer is no of course.
I particularly like the one that says in the edit field, if you are not a robot leave this field blank.
[...]

Laz

Capture? I believe you meant to say CAPTCHA INSTEAD.

[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

If you use an older portable version of Firefox, you can use Webvisum with it.  You would use the portable version for sites that require captchas and the current version or the current ESR version for other browsing, assuming you want to use firefox for your main browser..

Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 9:46 AM

Also, it's now very difficult to accept an invite from another person to
share a folder.  You used to just get an email and it says who is asking
you to share and there are 2 buttons--one says accept and the other says
decline.  That was so easy!  Now you are taken to a web page of some
kind and it asks you to solve a captcha and this can no longer be done
as Webvisum is finished for Firefox, and I know of nothing like it that
works with any other browser.  Seems like dropbox wants us to just go away.

Roger

On 6/16/2018 6:34 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version
> this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank
> page saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the
> preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its
> totally empty of any controls that read at all.
>
> Anyone care to comment?
> If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to
> Dropbox to get them to correct this.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Gene

The word is c a p t c h a, captcha.  If you write to someone complaining about inaccessible captures, you will loose credibility.

> Also, it's now very difficult to accept an invite from another person to
> share a folder. You used to just get an email and it says who is asking
> you to share and there are 2 buttons--one says accept and the other says
> decline. That was so easy! Now you are taken to a web page of some kind
> and it asks you to solve a captcha and this can no longer be done as
> Webvisum is finished for Firefox, and I know of nothing like it that works
> with any other browser. Seems like dropbox wants us to just go away.
>
> Roger
>

> On 6/16/2018 6:34 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version
>> this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page
>> saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the
>> preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its totally
>> empty of any controls that read at all.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>> If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to
>> Dropbox to get them to correct this.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Daniel Hawkins

That is good to know, I would have spelled it wrong too. This is why I need to use the spell by character more often. Thanks for the tip!
Daniel Hawkins

On Jun 16, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

The word is c a p t c h a, captcha.  If you write to someone complaining about inaccessible captures, you will loose credibility.

> Also, it's now very difficult to accept an invite from another person to
> share a folder. You used to just get an email and it says who is asking
> you to share and there are 2 buttons--one says accept and the other says
> decline. That was so easy! Now you are taken to a web page of some kind
> and it asks you to solve a captcha and this can no longer be done as
> Webvisum is finished for Firefox, and I know of nothing like it that works
> with any other browser. Seems like dropbox wants us to just go away.
>
> Roger
>

> On 6/16/2018 6:34 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version
>> this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page
>> saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the
>> preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its totally
>> empty of any controls that read at all.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>> If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to
>> Dropbox to get them to correct this.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually, i've even spelled it correctly and most people don't even know what that even is called. Lol! I didn't even know the term until maybe 2012. and even my sighted relitaves don't get it. they are like, what is that and I don't understand.

On Jun 16, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Daniel Hawkins <computersassociated@...> wrote:

That is good to know, I would have spelled it wrong too. This is why I need to use the spell by character more often. Thanks for the tip!
Daniel Hawkins

On Jun 16, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

The word is c a p t c h a, captcha.  If you write to someone complaining about inaccessible captures, you will loose credibility.

> Also, it's now very difficult to accept an invite from another person to
> share a folder. You used to just get an email and it says who is asking
> you to share and there are 2 buttons--one says accept and the other says
> decline. That was so easy! Now you are taken to a web page of some kind
> and it asks you to solve a captcha and this can no longer be done as
> Webvisum is finished for Firefox, and I know of nothing like it that works
> with any other browser. Seems like dropbox wants us to just go away.
>
> Roger
>

> On 6/16/2018 6:34 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> I wanted to share a folder today, but it seems on the current version
>> this dialogue no longer works with nvda either. it just is a blank page
>> saying its the shaere with another user item, but just like the
>> preferences and the delete from all machines and devices one its totally
>> empty of any controls that read at all.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>> If its also happening in windows 10 maybe we can write en masse to
>> Dropbox to get them to correct this.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Laz

Sure, but if one is going to write a company to complain about their
use of quote captures unquote on their web site, they're either going
to think you're nuts or won't know what you're talking about. It's a
good idea to call something what it is or one won't get very far. It's
like going to a deli and asking for a cam shaft sandwich when one
should have said Corned Beef Hash instead. the two phrases are
different things just as capture and captcha are two totally different
things.

Laz

computersassociated@... <mailto:computersassociated@...>

bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@... <mailto:briang1@...>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
[...]

As for excepting a folder I just follow the promots, no captcha for me. I just accepted a folder earlier this month for a course I'm working on.

On Jun 16, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:

[...]

Which version of the desktop software for windows are you running. There does seem to be an issue here between versions and platforms from what I have gleaned from other people.
[...]

Unfortunately in windows 7 the dialogues do not read at all.
I've tried this on a machine with 7 home and 7 pro now with the same result. There is nothing special about the machines, no weird software no fiddles. It just does not work. and as all other software seems to work fine I'm rather bemused.
[...]

You are worrying about typos. We know what we mean. If I was writing to a company I'd explain the actual issue without trying to use buzz words for them.
[...]

I did but my fingers often put things in that my brain does not intend and if neither word is in the dictionary then it gets through.
[...]

I know, see my earlier comment on this one.
I loved the one I saw on a newsgroup a year or so ago.
That thing that has apparently got wobbly writing in it that even most people with sight cannot understand!
[...]

I wouldn't assume this is a general problem.  It may be related to the preferences problewm you have.

>I tried that under Win10 and Dropbox  51.4 with NVDA 2018.2.
> I can share a folder, I right click it in the dropbox folder and select
> share. In the window coming up I select write or read only in the dropdown
> then I enter an email address and tab to the comment edit field, enter
> some
> comments and tab to the Enter and share button. That's it for me, the
> folder
> is shared and a message is send to the email I entered.
>
> Regards,
>   Ralf

Gene

It isn't a typo.  It is the result of the chronic and widespread practice of a lot of blind people not checking spelling of unfamiliar words and relying on speech for the spelling.  it doesn't matter what you explain or how.  If you write to a business or web site administrator or whomever in a business capacity, and misspell the name of the thing you are writing about, you lose considerable credibility and do not look competent.

And how do you know that the thought doesn't arise in the recipient, "If the person is misspelling the name to this extent, maybe the person doesn't know how to use the captcha.  If you want credibility in the sighted business and other professional worlds, spell correctly and use correct names.  A typographical error is mistyping;  This is misspelling.  and this issue goes much further.  If you don't check names to be sure the spelling is correct, for example of the person you are writing to, you might use a w at the end of a name when you should use o u g h.  and in your specific case, someone might spell Brian with a y instead of with an I or visa versa.  And the list goes on.

> Sure, but if one is going to write a company to complain about their
> use of quote captures unquote on their web site, they're either going
> to think you're nuts or won't know what you're talking about. It's a
> good idea to call something what it is or one won't get very far. It's
> like going to a deli and asking for a cam shaft sandwich when one
> should have said Corned Beef Hash instead. the two phrases are
> different things just as capture and captcha are two totally different
> things.
>
> Laz
>
> On 6/16/18, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>> Actually, i've even spelled it correctly and most people don't even know
>> what that even is called. Lol! I didn't even know the term until maybe
>> 2012.
>> and even my sighted relitaves don't get it. they are like, what is that
>> and
>> I don't understand.
>>
>>> On Jun 16, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Daniel Hawkins
>>> <computersassociated@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is good to know, I would have spelled it wrong too. This is why I
>>> need to use the spell by character more often. Thanks for the tip!
>>> Daniel Hawkins
>>> computersassociated@... <mailto:computersassociated@...>

I am on windows 10, and the latest version of DropBox reads fine for me when I share a folder and when I accept a folder invite. When I accepted a folder invite I did not have to accept any captures. :) And yes, I know how to spell captcha's but I just wanted to piss some people in this thread off. :) I'm not sure why the captcha's are appearing. I've been trying to find a decent accessibility contact all morning. My emails to other departments are opened, but not replied to. I generally don't write to general email addresses in cases like this. I have yet to get a decent reply from anybody over there so does anybody have any contacts?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Actually going back to my original query about the non reading dialogues and alerts in the latest version in Windows 7..
I had a pair of eyes here today, she says that on the screen about delete from this machine or all machines and devices there are just two buttons. One to say OK and one to say cancel. Additional text then says you need to reinstate the deletion and use a different option to just do a local delete. None of the buttons or the additional instructions are accessible here on windows 7. I'd be obliged if somebody who knows the inner workings of NVDA can look at this issue. Its probably more important that it can be fixed for preferences and the share dialogue though as it seems pressing enter on the delete alert will in fact result in a global deletion. Sadly none of the buttons are highlighted at all by any keyboard action I can come up with, indeed these buttons are not there according to nvdA/b.

My guess is that they are either native windows 10 specific controls that should not be used in software like windows 7, or they are in fact not accessible to anybody.

Dropbox, being the main platform used by many people I think has a responsibility to be accessible in this domain.
Their web sites menu system keeps on turning on focus mode and having to have it turned off the get at the menus then when you select it goes into focus mode again. its obviously non standard so we need a real working desktop interface here.