Topics

Read Allowed in Edge

Lino Morales

To Brian first of all do you really have to put out instructions the average user can’t follow sir? Not everybody is a techie freak like you sir. To Gary. To change the voices in Red Aloud in Edge hit alt X then press enter on Read Aloud. Next tab to the button that says change voices. Their how simple is that?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

I was taught if you cannot follow instructions and you cannot keep up I'm not stoping and you will fall behind. If you cannot keep up drop the class. If you cannot learn how to follow instructions other than what a simpleton does then you should go back to computer school where you learn to  cut copy and paste until you can even navigate the file explorer and use the command prompt by yourself, at least the basic stuff like cd and sudo and stuff. I'm not advanced either but I can follow techy and geeky instructions, allowly but I can do it.

Take care

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:26 PM, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:

To Brian first of all do you really have to put out instructions the average user can’t follow sir? Not everybody is a techie freak like you sir. To Gary. To change the voices in Red Aloud in Edge hit alt X then press enter on Read Aloud. Next tab to the button that says change voices. Their how simple is that?

Mary Otten

How absurd and not helpful. This is not a college class in computer science. It is an email list where we try to help each other, not put each other down and show ourselves off as being ever so very smart and clever.
Mary

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:42 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

I was taught if you cannot follow instructions and you cannot keep up I'm not stoping and you will fall behind. If you cannot keep up drop the class. If you cannot learn how to follow instructions other than what a simpleton does then you should go back to computer school where you learn to  cut copy and paste until you can even navigate the file explorer and use the command prompt by yourself, at least the basic stuff like cd and sudo and stuff. I'm not advanced either but I can follow techy and geeky instructions, allowly but I can do it.

Take care

Rosemarie Chavarria

Amen, Mary. I couldn't have said it any better. I didn't join this list to be in a college class of computer science. I joined it to try to help others who need it and also to ask questions if needed.

Rosemarie

On 6/16/2018 12:59 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
How absurd and not helpful. This is not a college class in computer science. It is an email list where we try to help each other, not put each other down and show ourselves off as being ever so very smart and clever.
Mary

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:42 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Take care

Gary Metzler

Thank you for this info.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Read Allowed in Edge

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't think it was really clear what exactly he wanted to do though.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:26 PM

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Although I would not say what I wrote was in any way techy, I do think that the person who posted about this could have phrased it less combatively, and perhaps you should not have risen to the bait as much on here. Communicating in text is not that easy as the intonation of a voice is not really conveyed.
I tend to agree with you, but I have encountered people who find it hard to understand what we might consider simple instructions due to not knowing the lingo, so to speak. Your advice, though sound, can be seen as a problem to many people I have tried to teach things to. We are not all the same and words that convey sense to one person are just not in the vocabulary of somebody else especially if that person is dealing with English if that is not their native language.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

To: "nvda list list" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Read Allowed in Edge

I was taught if you cannot follow instructions and you cannot keep up I'm not stoping and you will fall behind. If you cannot keep up drop the class. If you cannot learn how to follow instructions other than what a simpleton does then you should go back to computer school where you learn to cut copy and paste until you can even navigate the file explorer and use the command prompt by yourself, at least the basic stuff like cd and sudo and stuff. I'm not advanced either but I can follow techy and geeky instructions, allowly but I can do it.

Take care

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Gene

When I first saw Lino's message, I thought the matter was a different interpretation of what is wanted.  Instead of making assumptions about someone's motivation and writing nasty messages, perhaps at first, the subject should be approached civilly and with the possibility in mind that the problem may not be what it seems.  I didn't look at the original message carefully but I thought the intention was to use one voice in NVDA for speak to end on the Internet when using NVDA and not use that voice elsewhere. 

Thus, the discussion of profiles and the instructions thought to be convoluted.  They were discussing how to do something different than in your message, Lino.

and even if the instructions were more complex than necessary, which I didn't check, there are ways to point it out without attacking, almost flaming someone.  If it were stated something like, your instructions are far more complex than necessary to address the problem.  You often write unnecessarily complex instructions.  and then present what you think is better, that makes the point without an almost personal attack.

Note that I am not saying this is the case.  I'm illustrating how to make a point without an attack.

Also, since Brian doesn't use Windows 10, this may have led to the different interpretation.  Speak to end may have been addressed when Read Alout was intended. 

Gene

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 2:36 AM

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

To Brian first of all do you really have to put out instructions the average
user can’t follow sir? Not everybody is a techie freak like you sir. To
Gary. To change the voices in Red Aloud in Edge hit alt X then press enter
on Read Aloud. Next tab to the button that says change voices. Their how
simple is that?

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

Gene

I should add that I might not have commented on this topic, but I am a moderator and part of my job is to maintain civility on the list.  I, therefore, discussed the matter.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 5:53 AM

When I first saw Lino's message, I thought the matter was a different interpretation of what is wanted.  Instead of making assumptions about someone's motivation and writing nasty messages, perhaps at first, the subject should be approached civilly and with the possibility in mind that the problem may not be what it seems.  I didn't look at the original message carefully but I thought the intention was to use one voice in NVDA for speak to end on the Internet when using NVDA and not use that voice elsewhere. 

Thus, the discussion of profiles and the instructions thought to be convoluted.  They were discussing how to do something different than in your message, Lino.

and even if the instructions were more complex than necessary, which I didn't check, there are ways to point it out without attacking, almost flaming someone.  If it were stated something like, your instructions are far more complex than necessary to address the problem.  You often write unnecessarily complex instructions.  and then present what you think is better, that makes the point without an almost personal attack.

Note that I am not saying this is the case.  I'm illustrating how to make a point without an attack.

Also, since Brian doesn't use Windows 10, this may have led to the different interpretation.  Speak to end may have been addressed when Read Alout was intended. 

Gene
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 2:36 AM

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

To Brian first of all do you really have to put out instructions the average
user can’t follow sir? Not everybody is a techie freak like you sir. To