Topics

NVDA And Avast Free Anti Virus

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well I've had no luck with aAvast. It seems their protection system stops screenreaders accessing their screens properly and if you disable it with sighted help, then its forever complaining its vulnerable.
So I gave it the bi E off my machine using avarstclean.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

Yes, the very registration of the product was a nightmare for me, too. I did it, but, I do not know how. As for semi-accessibility, you're supposed to turn the self-defence off, although Avast does not recommend the end user to. Why am I saying semi-accessibility? Because Avast has never been fully accessible as far as screen readers (Jaws and NVDA) are concerned

On 17/06/2018 06:23, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

I'm not sure how accessible the current version is.  I stilll use an older version.  Did you see anything about off line registration?  I'm not sure what it's called but there is another way to register and you may be able to do that.
Gene
Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main
interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free
Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for
the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast
to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Turning off self-defense allows NVDA to see the available information on screen.  It does nothing aside from that to improve accessibility.  Using JAWS with self-protection on or off, doesn't change what JAWS sees and, with self-protection on, the program is better protected from attack.

If I needed access beyond the time a JAWS demo runs, since that is what I use now and then, if necessary or desirable, I would turn self-defense off and use NVDA for the that operation, such as a scan, then turn it on afterwards and use the JAWS demo with the program.

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 5:04 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA And Avast Free Anti Virus

Hi,

Yes, the very registration of the product was a nightmare for me, too. I
did it, but, I do not know how. As for semi-accessibility, you're
supposed to turn the self-defence off, although Avast does not recommend
the end user to. Why am I saying semi-accessibility? Because Avast has
never been fully accessible as far as screen readers (Jaws and NVDA) are
concerned

On 17/06/2018 06:23, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the
> main interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast
> Free Anti Virus program?
>
> I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for
> the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or
> Avast to make this impossible for me this year.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

can I get the older version?

On 6/17/2018 3:21 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure how accessible the current version is.  I stilll use an older version.  Did you see anything about off line registration?  I'm not sure what it's called but there is another way to register and you may be able to do that.
Gene
Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main
interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free
Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for
the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast
to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Gene

This page has a lot of old versions.
My version appears to be from 2014.
The version number is
2014.9.0.2021

I'm not sure how accessible the current version is.  I stilll use an older version.  Did you see anything about off line registration?  I'm not sure what it's called but there is another way to register and you may be able to do that.
Gene
Is there any add on or perhaps some sort of technique for using the main
interface or in particular, the registration panel in the Avast Free
Anti Virus program?

I used to be able to enter the registration information every year for
the free upgrade, but something may have changed either in NVDA or Avast
to make this impossible for me this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Stephen

But what if you don't have jaws? or for some reason jaws doesn't function well on your machine?

At 09:05 PM 6/17/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Then you can leave selfprotection off and use NVDA with the program.  But JAWS is available as  a demo, a point that I addressed.  and I would expect JAWS to work well in general on machines.

If you turn off self-protection, malware designed to attack antivirus programs will have a much easier time attacking Avast and either shutting it off or degrading its performance.

At 09:05 PM 6/17/2018, you wrote:
>Turning off self-defense allows NVDA to see the available
>information on screen.  It does nothing aside from that to improve
>accessibility.  Using JAWS with self-protection on or off, doesn't
>change what JAWS sees and, with self-protection on, the program is
>better protected from attack.
>
>If I needed access beyond the time a JAWS demo runs, since that is
>what I use now and then, if necessary or desirable, I would turn
>self-defense off and use NVDA for the that operation, such as a
>scan, then turn it on afterwards and use the JAWS demo with the program.
>
>Gene

Mário Navarro

you have to use jaws.

Às 08:44 de 17/06/2018, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

Well I've had no luck with aAvast. It seems their protection system stops screenreaders accessing their screens properly and if you disable it with sighted help, then its forever complaining its vulnerable.
So I gave it the bi E off my machine using avarstclean.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-