PDF file missing spaces

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I don't know if the problem can be corrected with Adobe itself.  You might try PDF2TXT, a small almost utility instead of being a program and see if that corrects it.  I've had lots of trouble using the current one but I think I still have the installation file for the older one, which I find works better on a lot of P
DF files.  Or, using OCR such as available in Openbook, Kurzweil, Fine Reader, and I would think other OCR programs might solve the problem.

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 4:19 AM
Subject: [nvda] PDF file missing spaces

Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ann Byrne

the best thing I have found is to do OCR on the file and let the OCR program insert the spaces where they belong.

At 04:19 AM 6/17/2018, you wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution. I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/>www.nvaccess.orgÂ
Facebook:Â <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>http://www.facebook.com/NVAccessÂ
Twitter: @NVAccessÂ

ely.r@...

Quentin,

If you could identify the character that does not get recognized as a space, copy it and do a global search and replace, might that work?

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

I believe you can fix that by changing how documents are read by Acrobat. Change it to "read documents left to right", instead of "infer reading from document". Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

That seems to do the trick, thanks!

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 4:49 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

[...]

Why that works, I have no clue.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm not sure you can fix it. I've certainly usually sent to whence it came and managed to get them to send in word format.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But pdfs do not allow editing do they? And of course when stripped out the odd chars simply get left out and hence no spaces.

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Some people say changing the reading order setting can fix it, well, thus far this has not worked. I think the whole thing is a bit of a mess. There are ways to tag files when they are made to stop all this guess ing of reading order but it is poorly understood and seldom used probably due to a third party tool being used to create pdfs.
Is there a simple to understand resource on pdf read order tagging on line one can point troublesome makers of these files at?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.
I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces
between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files
created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I
fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Ervin, Glenn

I sometimes use OpenBook to open PDF files.

I go to the “open with” option in the context menu, and find Open Book, if it has not been done before, it will need to be browsed to.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 4:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Tony Malykh

For what it's worth, one more potential solution that I found is to use Google Chrome - it comes with a PDF reader, that seems to understand spaces between words better. If the file is on your local computer, then just type its full path into the address bar (e.g. "C:\Users\tony\SomeFile.pdf"). Or if the file is online, just ytpe its URL in the adress bar.

Hi everyone,

I know I've come across this before but I just can't recall the solution.  I've got a PDF file which when I read it, parts of it read with no spaces between words (ditto copying the text out or saving to a text file).

It is something to do with how Adobe Reader interprets the spaces in files created with certain other products, but what I can't remember, is how do I fix it, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

sardar shankar

opening the file in any browser might solve the problem. tha's how I
have solved same type of problem.

On 6/18/18, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

thanks and regards:
shankar
studying b.com computers @ B.C.C.A
admin of the facebook group axis to technology with accessibility,
skype I.D: sardarshankar4@outlook.com
mobile contact.no: 9494248500.

Tony Malykh

That's not true. Firefox doesn't come with a PDF viewer. It can open Acrobat Reader ActiveX control right inside the browser window, but then you'll have exactly the same problem as with opening PDF file directly in Acrobat Reader. Same is true of IE. Edge has its own PDF reader, but I don't know whether  its any good, but might be worth trying.