earlier master snapshot concerned

Robert Mendoza

After I updated the master snapshot today and installed to my machine, it prompts me with something like nvda will periodically collects of activity. Not clearly stated but looking around at the Users Guide to look what is all about this feature is. I appreciate your feedback for this one or, is this part of the new integration for the master snapshot version, and how will extend to where does to runs. Primarily, kinda concerned what is all about with this and wanting to make sure it does not violates the entirely the privacy of my machine and security. If someone could shed info about this, I truly appreciated it.

Robert Mendoza

Quentin Christensen

Hi Robert,

The information is the same as we have collected previously, as the dialog indicates, OS and NVDA version, language used, country, synthesizer, Braille diaplsy and table,  This information is collected when NVDA checks for updates.  Nothing secure or private is ever transmitted, no spoken content or anything like that is shared.

Prompted by the new privacy regulations in the EU, we wanted to be as open about what data we collect as possible.

For anyone interested, the dialog reads: "In order to improve NVDA in the future, NV Access wishes to collect usage data from running copies of NVDA.

Data includes Operating System version, NVDA version, language, country of origin, plus certain NVDA
configuration such as current synthesizer, braille display and braille table. No spoken or braille content will be ever
sent to NV Access.  Please refer to the User Guide for a current list of all data collected.

Do you wish to allow NV Access to periodically collect this data in order to improve NVDA."

We use this information for several purposes:
- Having an idea about many users we have overall is good to use in promotion.
- Knowing that we have a lot of users in a particular country enables us to do things like prioritising translating information for users in that country.
- Conversely, if there is a large country that we are not reaching, maybe it is because we do not have a translator for the main language used there and that is something we can concentrate on looking for.
- Knowing how many users are on a particular version of Windows allows us to ensure we support what our users are working on.  For instance, when we dropped support for XP, we knew that only a very small percentage of users were still using XP.

We try to collect the minimum information possible which gives us valuable information.  You can opt out of this information collection if you prefer, although it does give us more useful data if the majority of our users allow it.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

Is this to comply with the new EEU law?  It's probably referring to what has been collected for a long time, information on how often it is used on the machine.

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 7:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] earlier master snapshot concerned

    After I updated the master snapshot today and installed to my
machine, it prompts me with something like nvda will periodically
collects of activity. Not clearly stated but looking around at the Users
Guide to look what is all about this feature is. I appreciate your
feedback for this one or, is this part of the new integration for the
master snapshot version, and how will extend to where does to runs.
Primarily, kinda concerned what is all about with this and wanting to
make sure it does not violates the entirely the privacy of my machine
and security. If someone could shed info about this, I truly appreciated it.

Robert Mendoza

Robert Mendoza

I believe so , as far with the last statement mentioned of Quentin which I never saught this prompt dialog, in the previously version of the master snapshot and that is I just wanted to confirm. Actually, I was having a thought that is a new features added once you run update of the master snapshot but more or less its fine for me as long as nothing to be transmit.beyond aside of the data activity of nvda.

Robert Mendoza

Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 7:34 PM

    After I updated the master snapshot today and installed to my
machine, it prompts me with something like nvda will periodically
collects of activity. Not clearly stated but looking around at the Users
Guide to look what is all about this feature is. I appreciate your
feedback for this one or, is this part of the new integration for the
master snapshot version, and how will extend to where does to runs.
Primarily, kinda concerned what is all about with this and wanting to
make sure it does not violates the entirely the privacy of my machine
and security. If someone could shed info about this, I truly appreciated it.

Robert Mendoza

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Quentin thanks for the confirmation so basically this is just a new prompts dialog added to the master snapshot. 😊

Robert Mendoza

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I saw that to and knew what was ogin on already, the stupid law in my humble opinion, but I did comply by saying yes.

On Jun 17, 2018, at 9:27 PM, Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Well you must understand that in Europe we now have the General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR. This in effect makes or is supposed to make all data shared an opt in process. Having this up front on a new install seems the best way to ensure that this is always under the control of the user.
I notice that everyone is doing this now.The latest version of Ccleaner is the same. When it loads it goes to the web site and tells you that you can decide what data it shares with ccleaner. it always did share data to help to see how people use the program, so it is now configurable. I'm sure we will be seeing this a lot as metrics are pulled under the users control not sneaked in as part of the software without telling you.
Most browsers already send back things, and windows and google have done it for years.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-