NVDA and SecureCRT or other ssh clients for Windows

Christian Schoepplein

Hej,

I need to work via ssh on linux servers in my job. In the past I used
Linux on my workstation, but now I have to use Windows. Now I am looking
for a Windows ssh client which is good to use with NVDA.

The prefered client for my employer is SecureCRT. I've configured this
client by following the steps described here:

https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/scrnread.html

This setup is working well, only one thing is causing me problems.

When navigating through the output of a command given in the shell the
focus of NVDA is always getting back to the line where the cursor is
located after one second or so. This makes it inpossible to read through a
shell window.

Does anyone know this issue and can it be solved somehow?

I also tested putty and cygwinssh. Cygwinssh seems to work fine, but it
has not that many features. Also I was not able to scrol back in a shell
output. Putty is OK in most cases, but sometimes the focus gets lost or is
shifted for a line or two.

Maybe someone is using SecureCRT also and can help me out with my little
problem, then it will be a good solution for me and my employer I think.

TIA and all the best from Munich,

Schoepp

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, I don't use the program you're mentioning, just git bash.
Anyway, you may want to see this issue:

You can try to configure timeout, for example, following these steps:

1. Go to the application where you find issues.
2. Create a new profile for this application (or manual, in case you
don't want it's triggered automatically).
3. Activate it so you can save configuration changes just for this profile.
4. Open the Python console (control+NVDA+z) and type the following
lines (you can paste each line and press Enter):
import config
config.conf["editableText"]["caretMoveTimeout"] = 100
config.conf.save()

(change 100 for a value in milliseconds) and test with different values.

Cheers

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Shouldn't it be: config.conf["editableText"]["caretMoveTimeout"]Ms ?

[...]

No, the equal is needed to assign an integer value to the
configuration parameter.
You can test it in the Python console and without equal you'll get a
syntax error.

Cheers

<ralf.kefferpuetz@...>:

[...]

Øyvind Lode

I use cygwin and I've used cygwin for years now to access linux and
unix servers at work.

I install cygwin and add openssh (not installed by default) and
keychain (also not installed by default).
The standard cygwin console is not fully accessible though.
However, use the windows console / command promt instead as your
cygwin terminal and everything works fine.

On 20 June 2018 at 14:44, Ralf Kefferpuetz
<ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:
[...]

Jason White

I'm achieving good results with both Windows Subsystem for Linux (running ssh
under the installed Linux distribution - Ubuntu from the Microsoft Store, for
example), and Msys2 from the Git SDK.

A real Linux machine is better, of course, and I have that as well.

<ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi,

On Wed, June 20, 2018 3:18 pm, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
I'm achieving good results with both Windows Subsystem for Linux (running
ssh under the installed Linux distribution - Ubuntu from the Microsoft
Store, for
example), and Msys2 from the Git SDK.
This is working with Windows 10 only, isn't it? Unfortunatly I have to use
Win7, Win10 will be rolled out next year maybe :-(.

In the past I used a Linux box with a self installed Debian and a
virtualized Windows 7. That was the perfekt working enviroment for the
tasks I have todo in my daily work. Due to new fu**ing stupid security
policies of my employer I can't use such a setup anymore and so I am
looking for a good replacement. Because also Linux workstations will be
not longer allowed in the near future and everybody shall use Windows,
this new solution has to be a Windows workingstation...

Cheers,

Schoepp

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Yup, you're right!

On Wed, June 20, 2018 2:50 pm, Øyvind Lode wrote:
I use cygwin and I've used cygwin for years now to access linux and
unix servers at work.
I have very old precompiled cygwinssh packages and they are working good
with NVDA indead. The only problem I have with this packages is, that I
can't scrol back in the console output buffer with Shift+Page Up like it
is possible in normal Linux terminals. Is this possible with your setup?

I install cygwin and add openssh (not installed by default) and
keychain (also not installed by default). The standard cygwin console is
not fully accessible though. However, use the windows console / command
promt instead as your cygwin terminal and everything works fine.
It will not be allowed to install a full cygwin environment only for ssh
because of the security policies of my employer. But if it is possible to
comppile the needed packages only and use them standallone, that might be
a solution. Have you tried this? Is this possible?

Cheers and thanks,

Schoepp

Christian Schoepplein

Hej,

first of all a big thanks to veryone who responded to my request!

On Wed, June 20, 2018 1:52 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
You can try to configure timeout, for example, following these steps:

1. Go to the application where you find issues.
2. Create a new profile for this application (or manual, in case you
don't want it's triggered automatically). 3. Activate it so you can save
configuration changes just for this profile. 4. Open the Python console
(control+NVDA+z) and type the following
lines (you can paste each line and press Enter): import config
config.conf["editableText"]["caretMoveTimeout"] = 100 config.conf.save()

(change 100 for a value in milliseconds) and test with different values.
I tested the code in a seperate profile for SecureCRT with and without the
equal before the number for the MS, but unfortunatly it does not help and
the focus is still moved to the cursor after a few miliseconds :-(. I also
played around with the colour and cursor blinking setting in the program,
but also without success.

Do you have any further ideas?

Cheers and thanks again for your help,

Schoepp

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

I am not quite sure what your original issue was, but when I was actively using SecureCRT with JAWS I needed to adjust the cursor shape / blink. I currently do not have access to the program, so I can't provide more feedback for you.

Take care,

Jonathan Cohn

Christian Schoepplein <chris@...> wrote:

This is working with Windows 10 only, isn't it? Unfortunatly I have to use
Win7, Win10 will be rolled out next year maybe :-(.
Windows Subsystem for Linux requires Windows 10; msys2 however does not.
Microsoft significantly improved the accessibility of the console in recent
versions of Windows 10. If these improvements are valuable to you, you can
probably make a case to your employer for a Windows 10 machine.

In the past I used a Linux box with a self installed Debian and a
virtualized Windows 7. That was the perfekt working enviroment for the
tasks I have todo in my daily work.

Which virtualization tool did you run on the Linux host? I'm considering doing
the same, or at least experimenting a little. I also need to find out how to
license Microsoft Windows to run on a virtual machine.

I've used KVM to virtualize a Linux guest before, but I haven't tried running
Windows in a VM.

I would expect NVDA to work, although the braille display would create some
issues even if the USB interface can be forwarded to the guest.

I am not an expert on this but putty seems to be what others talk about, windows has an open ssh client you can use.

What is stopping you using ssh from the linux subsystem for linux in 10 linking to your full linux server though?

Either that or cygwin.

On 6/20/2018 8:55 PM, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
[...]

Well not that I have tried it, but back in the old days of university if I wanted to use their system I'd have to reformat and use their system on my machine.

These days my brother an enginier while he does do work on his own system, uses virtual machines a lot to connect to other systems for work a lot of the time.

Vms are not always the best either unless you have good hardware but well it can be done.

<ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I use the cygwin file system, and the ssh that is built into the cygwin file system.  I simply installed cygwin, and in the process, also installed all of it's available programs, mostly because it was too much trouble to figure out what was check and what wasn't, then after all ws said and done, I had a completely working cygwin environment, which (btw) isn't required to run the installed programs.  Once cygwin is installed, you don't actually have to run cygwin in order to run the programs from it.  I just open a command prompt, and type ssh user@server, and all works well.  It's true there is no scrollback, which is sometimes important, but if you just need access, it works just fine.

On 6/20/2018 6:02 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Norman <lists@...>

Hi.

I personally use teraterm.

https://osdn.net/projects/ttssh2/releases/

You can also configure openssh to work although it does require messing with the environment variables.

On 6/21/2018 2:58 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
[...]

John J. Boyer

Hello,

I am deaf-blind, so i use Braille exclusively. As I understand it, all of these ssh programs display a command window.
This requires tethering Braille to the review cursor. The keys on the numeric keypad can then be used to read the
contents
of the window. I am using a notebook with no numeric keypad. Is there a ssh program that displays a GUI that NVDA knows
how to navigate? I do not want to install Cygwin, because it would take up too much disk space.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Rui Fontes

Why you do not use the Laptop keyboard layout commands instead of the Desktop commands with the NumPad?

Rui Fontes

Às 09:57 de 25/06/2018, John J. Boyer escreveu:

Hello,
I am deaf-blind, so i use Braille exclusively. As I understand it, all of these ssh programs display a command window.
This requires tethering Braille to the review cursor. The keys on the numeric keypad can then be used to read the
contents
of the window. I am using a notebook with no numeric keypad. Is there a ssh program that displays a GUI that NVDA knows
how to navigate? I do not want to install Cygwin, because it would take up too much disk space.
Thanks,
John

John J. Boyer

I am using the laptop keyboard layout. However, i understand that NVDA requires a physical numpad to use the review
cursor. Nobody seems able to explain why Braille has to be tethered to review to read a command window while speech
does not.

John

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:17:39AM +0100, Rui Fontes wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but you are not understanding...

1 - To read that type of window, NVDA uses the review cursor;
2 - You can use the review commands in both keyboard layouts. Please, read the manual since I don't use the laptop layout;
3 - If you use a recent version of NVDA, when you use a review command, Braille is automatically thetered wit review cursor , in order to the Braille display can follow the cursor and give you the information;
4 - Voice is also automatically thetered to the review cursor to allow hearing the information.

Any other question, please write to the list, but please, refere the versions of Windows and NVDA...

Rui Fontes