Topics

Microsoft Access Databases

Jim Homme

Hi,

Some people I work with are making a department Microsoft Access database. I get to influence its accessibility. Does anyone know of information I can find on the controls to use and avoid using so that NVDA can work best with the database?

Thanks.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Product Manager
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
People with disabilities, access job openings at https://www.benderconsult.com/careers/job-openings

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem I always had was that the edit fields seem to not be able to be read. That is cursoring around in them gives silence as does delete.
Not sure if in windows 10 this is any different.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Some people I work with are making a department Microsoft Access database. I get to influence its accessibility. Does anyone know of information I can find on the controls to use and avoid using so that NVDA can work best with the database?

Thanks.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Product Manager
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
People with disabilities, access job openings at https://www.benderconsult.com/careers/job-openings

Jim,

           There are reams of material out there about designing virtually any type of Microsoft Office document/database/spreadsheet in a way that is maximally accessible to screen reader users.  Start poring through the results from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=MS+Access+accessibility+%22screen+readers%22

Some other results come up if you omit "screen readers" as part of the search, but many of them don't apply.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  I believe you can install Cygwin which creates a Unix-like environment on your pc and which also has it's own secure crt.  I used it with windows 7 quite successfully a few years back.  Cheers!

On 6/20/2018 10:06 PM, Jim Homme wrote:

Hi,

Some people I work with are making a department Microsoft Access database. I get to influence its accessibility. Does anyone know of information I can find on the controls to use and avoid using so that NVDA can work best with the database?

Thanks.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Product Manager
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
People with disabilities, access job openings at https://www.benderconsult.com/careers/job-openings

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

It's probably not your decision, and I don't know how much influence you have over the process, but just for general reference, if this database is going to be used by multiple people simultaneously, Microsoft Access is *not* the program to be used for this, since it doesn't do well with such usage.  Of course, if it's just something that will be posted for others to grab a copy when needed, then that doesn't apply, and the use is just fine, but just be aware of that before trying to build a whole subdepartment on such a system, it won't go well.

On 6/20/2018 12:18 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Jim,

           There are reams of material out there about designing virtually any type of Microsoft Office document/database/spreadsheet in a way that is maximally accessible to screen reader users.  Start poring through the results from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=MS+Access+accessibility+%22screen+readers%22

Some other results come up if you omit "screen readers" as part of the search, but many of them don't apply.

Jim Homme

Travis,

I have total influence over the process. What would you suggest?

Jim

[...]

Hi Brian,

Thank you. For whatever reason, my googling wasn’t coming up with much. I found one promising resource.

Jim