Topics

problems

Dr. J. michael jones

I am greatful for any help with these items.

I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have downloaded NDVA several times and the Windows sapi5 voyce will not showup.  I also can not seem to find it in my windows.

I have also downloaded  2 of the free voices from the NDVA site and properly used the manage apps to install them and they will not appear in the list of synthesizers, as a matter of fact the ESpeak does not appear either.

Finally the menus have completely changed from just a week ago, because I had downloaded NDVA for another person and the menus completely different? Any thoughts?  Thanks so much  

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Certainly the menu layout has changed in that they are now laid out as property sheets making them easier to move between than the old one at a time system, but as for why Espeak does not show up, that is most odd. I'm assuming the machine has working sound on it already, so I think we need a little more info here, maybe getting a log of start up or something like that
Are you saying that no voices at all are available on windows? IE does narrator work or not?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:07 AM
Subject: [nvda] problems

I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have downloaded NDVA several times and the Windows sapi5 voyce will not showup. I also can not seem to find it in my windows.
I have also downloaded 2 of the free voices from the NDVA site and properly used the manage apps to install them and they will not appear in the list of synthesizers, as a matter of fact the ESpeak does not appear either.

Finally the menus have completely changed from just a week ago, because I had downloaded NDVA for another person and the menus completely different? Any thoughts? Thanks so much

Dr. J. michael jones

Obviously East speak is working however the windows start up sound does not play I will check near raider and reply back

On Jun 21, 2018, at 12:11 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Certainly the menu layout has changed in that they are now laid out as property sheets making them easier to move between than the old one at a time system, but as for why Espeak does not show up, that is most odd. I'm assuming the machine has working sound on it already, so I think we need a little more info here, maybe getting a log of start up or something like that
Are you saying that no voices at all are available on windows? IE does narrator work or not?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. J. michael jones" <j.michaeljones@live.com>

I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have downloaded NDVA several times and the Windows sapi5 voyce will not showup. I also can not seem to find it in my windows.
I have also downloaded 2 of the free voices from the NDVA site and properly used the manage apps to install them and they will not appear in the list of synthesizers, as a matter of fact the ESpeak does not appear either.

Finally the menus have completely changed from just a week ago, because I had downloaded NDVA for another person and the menus completely different? Any thoughts? Thanks so much

Dr. J. michael jones

NARA raider works with a beautiful sounding voice but now how do I get an air raider to stop?

On Jun 21, 2018, at 12:11 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. J. michael jones" <j.michaeljones@live.com>

Gene

Are you in the synthesizer dialog, control NVDA key s, or the voice dialog, control NVDA key v.

First, you move to SAPI 5 in the synthesizer dialog, then activate the ok button.  Then, open the voice dialog and find the voice you want in the list and activate the ok button.

I don't know what you have done but you may be looking in the wrong places.

I don't use the new version of NVDA but the latest version, and perhaps the one before, I don't know, uses a different interface for some settings.  I'll let those who use it discuss it further.

Gene
---- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:07 AM

I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have downloaded NDVA several times and the Windows sapi5 voyce will not showup.  I also can not seem to find it in my windows.

I have also downloaded  2 of the free voices from the NDVA site and properly used the manage apps to install them and they will not appear in the list of synthesizers, as a matter of fact the ESpeak does not appear either.

Finally the menus have completely changed from just a week ago, because I had downloaded NDVA for another person and the menus completely different? Any thoughts?  Thanks so much  

Dr. J. michael jones

Those do not exist anymore it’s preferences and then settings

On Jun 21, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Are you in the synthesizer dialog, control NVDA key s, or the voice dialog, control NVDA key v.

First, you move to SAPI 5 in the synthesizer dialog, then activate the ok button.  Then, open the voice dialog and find the voice you want in the list and activate the ok button.

I don't use the new version of NVDA but the latest version, and perhaps the one before, I don't know, uses a different interface for some settings.  I'll let those who use it discuss it further.

Gene

Dr. J. michael jones

Yes!  You did it, thanks for the directions, I did not know about those commands, as I said before the layout of the program changed.  It works now.  Thanks thanks

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problems

Gene

Gene

The layout changed.  Short cut commands designed to be used from outside of the program to open various dialogs or take specific actions still work. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:28 AM

Yes!  You did it, thanks for the directions, I did not know about those commands, as I said before the layout of the program changed.  It works now.  Thanks thanks

Gene

Dr. J. michael jones

Gene again thank you, problems all solved, thanks again

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:31 PM

The layout changed.  Short cut commands designed to be used from outside of the program to open various dialogs or take specific actions still work. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:28 AM

Gene

Ervin, Glenn

I noticed this menu problem too yesterday.

I wanted to slow down the voice for a new user and could not find it anywhere in the menus.

I had to set it to default settings, and that was really not slow enough for her.

I hope it goes back to the way it was.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dr. J. michael jones

Hi,

Hmmm, does synth settings ring work for this purpose?

Regarding menus: this might be due to new Settings screen where almost all settings are housed under one roof.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:36 AM

I wanted to slow down the voice for a new user and could not find it anywhere in the menus.

I had to set it to default settings, and that was really not slow enough for her.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dr. J. michael jones

Ervin, Glenn

I don’t recall what was in settings, but I could not find anything like rate in there.

Obviously there is a setting somewhere, but I feel that the menus as they are now are not intuitive.

What was wrong with the menus the way they were?

It is like Microsoft changing the way things were to be different, which only causes difficulty for folks.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:44 AM

Hi,

Regarding menus: this might be due to new Settings screen where almost all settings are housed under one roof.

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Ervin, Glenn

Something else, I had forgotten this, when I went into settings, the speech quit talking.

It would echo keystrokes, like windows + M, and the like, but did not speak anything else.

But when I exited settings, NVDA worked again.

This was on a client’s computer with Windows 10.

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Hi,

It is under voice panel (Control+NVDA+V).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:48 AM

I don’t recall what was in settings, but I could not find anything like rate in there.

Obviously there is a setting somewhere, but I feel that the menus as they are now are not intuitive.

What was wrong with the menus the way they were?

It is like Microsoft changing the way things were to be different, which only causes difficulty for folks.

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

I think what he is lacking here is that in the new property sheets you need to hit the change button to allow you to alter the synth. This works a lot better for me than the old system where you had to set the synch, close the dialogue then open the voice one. here you can whiz back and forth with ease.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:22 AM

First, you move to SAPI 5 in the synthesizer dialog, then activate the ok button. Then, open the voice dialog and find the voice you want in the list and activate the ok button.

I don't use the new version of NVDA but the latest version, and perhaps the one before, I don't know, uses a different interface for some settings. I'll let those who use it discuss it further.

Gene

You can still jump to the sheet with the shortcuts just as before.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Those do not exist anymore it’s preferences and then settings
On Jun 21, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com<mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>> wrote:

First, you move to SAPI 5 in the synthesizer dialog, then activate the ok button. Then, open the voice dialog and find the voice you want in the list and activate the ok button.

I don't use the new version of NVDA but the latest version, and perhaps the one before, I don't know, uses a different interface for some settings. I'll let those who use it discuss it further.

Gene
From: Dr. J. michael jones<mailto:j.michaeljones@live.com>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I guess a lot of us have been using the new scheme for a long time running from the beta versions and for most people from feedback the new scheme is actually easier to manage. its far more like other software than it was in fact.
Of course you cannot please all of the people all of the time as they say, but this change has been requested for some years to my knowledge. If you could tell us why you think its worse than opening and closing windows every time you need to move between synth and voice I'm sure others might be able to help.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:36 PM

Glenn

Chris

Agreed with that, much easier and logical

And As long as you remember to use space instead of enter

Sent: 21 June 2018 18:14

I think what he is lacking here is that in the new property sheets you need

to hit the change button to allow you to alter the synth. This works a lot

better for me than the old system where you had to set the synch, close the

dialogue then open the voice one. here you can whiz back and forth with

ease.

Brian

bglists@...

Sent via blueyonder.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:22 AM

Are you in the synthesizer dialog, control NVDA key s, or the voice dialog,

control NVDA key v.

First, you move to SAPI 5 in the synthesizer dialog, then activate the ok

button.  Then, open the voice dialog and find the voice you want in the list

and activate the ok button.

I don't use the new version of NVDA but the latest version, and perhaps the

one before, I don't know, uses a different interface for some settings.

I'll let those who use it discuss it further.

Gene

I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have downloaded NDVA several

times and the Windows sapi5 voyce will not showup.  I also can not seem to

find it in my windows.

I have also downloaded  2 of the free voices from the NDVA site and properly

used the manage apps to install them and they will not appear in the list of

synthesizers, as a matter of fact the ESpeak does not appear either.

Finally the menus have completely changed from just a week ago, because I

had downloaded NDVA for another person and the menus completely different?

Any thoughts?  Thanks so much

Hmm, surely nothing will happen except for the choices in the settings you are focussed on?
It was always the case. You can still alt tab or use the shortcut to desktop and it works fine here, and then the sheets are open again when you alt tab back.
The synth and voice sheets are right next to each other. When you want to change the synth you hit the change button then when happy you can come out and close the changes and tab to voice and then fiddle with the speed etc. You still can exit completely with ok when you are happy.

All that has happened in reality is that all the sheets open and can be chosen from the list without coming out of settings a feature many requested.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:54 PM

Something else, I had forgotten this, when I went into settings, the speech quit talking.
It would echo keystrokes, like windows + M, and the like, but did not speak anything else.
But when I exited settings, NVDA worked again.
This was on a client's computer with Windows 10.
Glenn

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Dr. J. michael jones

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

You can still use the old shortcut to get into the voice settings it is the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter V.

When the dialogue comes up with the settings just tab down to rate it is a slider use the right arrow key to speed up and the left to slow down. Make sure the settings are applied and ok to save the settings.

It can also be done through the synths rings i think it is called. Use the nvda key +ctrl key + the up arrow key to speed up nvda or the same keys except use the down arrow key while holding those keys to slow nvda down.

If you want to say change voices etc use the same keys nvda key + ctrl key + either left or right arrow keys to go between the different sections there..

If you want to ajust any of them say the varient to another while on it same keys plus either up or down arrrow keys to go betwen them while still holding those other 2 keys ctrl + nvda key.

Gene nz

On 6/22/2018 2:36 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

Glenn