nvda installation problem

Don <donmi@...>

I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn’t make it work so they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Simone Dal Maso

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn’t make it work so they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.
I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

From the description this seems unlikely, as it did not work in the first place.
Assuming its an admin account then most people tend to only encounter issues with the UAC screen or updating when a desktop icon cannot be created, both of which are well known.

I just wonder if something else like bloatware which is often on new machines is interfering with installs. too many anti virus or security programs can cause some very odd things to happen, ie, if nvda has partially installed as you suggest, but cannot complete and the old bit cannot be stopped. I'd do a clean reboot of the machine and try then as a first step. However I have also noticed a number of new laptops seem to have dodgy sound drivers that clip the start of speech as well, though this is not the cause here from the description.
When a program is partly installed it can be a real pain to clean out the rubbish if you are not OK with delving into the diagnostics, even worse if its a screenreader and thus you have to rely on slow clunky narrator to do it!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn’t make it work so they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Don <donmi@...>

I see no indication in the list of apps and programs on the computer that
NVDAis present. If it were running on the log in screen how would I remove
it?

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon
screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the
2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message
that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of
NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else
try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so
they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the
installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Felix G.

Which file is it unable to overwrite? I feel the clue is hidden there.

Don <donmi@q.com> schrieb am Do., 21. Juni 2018 um 11:57 Uhr:

I see no indication in the list of apps and programs on the computer that
NVDAis present. If it were running on the log in screen how would I remove
it?

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon
screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
> I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the
> 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message
> that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of
> NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else
> try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so
> they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.
>
> I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the
> installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Gene

You said that it was uninstalled.  That doesn't mean all files were removed.  The next question, which has been discussed here before but which I didn't try to remember the answer to, is what files are left when uninstalling.  It appears from the cannot overwrite a file message, that at least one file is in use.  I don't know why but such questions may help you solve the proboem.  Perhaps something wasn't fully uninstalled that should have been and Windows is keeping a file in use, perhaps because a registry entry is still present that tells it to.  In short, I suspect that completely removing the program may require dealing with such questions or, perhaps, going into safe mode and removing the extra files.

I see no indication in the list of apps and programs on the computer that
NVDAis present. If it were running on the log in screen how would I remove
it?

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon
screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
> I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the
> 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message
> that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of
> NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else
> try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so
> they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.
>
> I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the
> installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Which is why I said reboot. What can occur is its running but not properly. If you look at task manager then it might show up, but I too am doubtful its really there given what you say.
[...]

Yes indeed, manually deleting some of the files might help, but unless one is happy with doing this, then be careful as nvda also puts files in other places as well as program files(x86)

I have also had issues where if it had been installed it seems that it cannot manage to rename its log file fast enough to allow the new copy to write its log file.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon
screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the
2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message
that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of
NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else
try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so
they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the
installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In the latest nvda system, the lib folders are renamed and new files are written to new copies, then the old files deleted. If any of this fails then this error can occur. I noticed it with another piece of software about a week ago. A complete clear out fixed it.

However great care went into the fail safe nature for nvda in this regard, but it might well be a very old version of nvda if then updated to a very new one might throw up errors we have not experienced.
[...]

I would advise making a portable version somewhere and running that first just to see if the system can be run successfully in any case.
[...]

I found NVDA files left after the uninstall in the program files (x86)
folder. There are 21 files. I tried removing the directory manually,
removing the files with a global delete and one by one. In all cases I got
the same message saying that the process could not be completed because a
file is in use.

I have never used safe mode. Can a screen reader, JAWS 2018, read the screen
in safe mode?

How do I get in to safe mode? Is that the right next step?

Don

I see no indication in the list of apps and programs on the computer that
NVDAis present. If it were running on the log in screen how would I remove
it?

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon
screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:
I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the
2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message
that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of
NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else
try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so
they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the
installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Chris

Try restarting windows then see if you can delete them then

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I see no indication in the list of apps and programs on the computer that

NVDAis present. If it were running on the log in screen how would I remove

it?

Are you sure you don't have a copy of NVDA that is running on the logon

screen?

Il 21/06/2018 10:58, Don ha scritto:

> I have a new windows 10 laptop computer. I am trying to install the

> 2018.1 program. When I run the install application I get the message

> that NVDA was unable to overwrite, or remove a file. Another copy of

> NVDA may be running. I have no copy running. I did have someone else

> try to help me install NVDA before and they couldn't make it work so

> they uninstalled the previous copy they tried to install.

> I am currently running JAWS 2018. What do I need to do to get the

> installer to complete the installation of NVDA 2018.1 on my laptop?

Don <donmi@...>

I have rebooted and it made no difference.