'private button' on reply forms on list

Hi all,

Recently, I noticed the 'private button' when replying to posts here on this list. What does this button do exactly?

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

I see nothing but then I'm reading in text. However it is and always has been possible to reply to sender instead of to the list, so I'd assume this is what it means.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:41 AM
Subject: [nvda] 'private button' on reply forms on list

Hi all,

Recently, I noticed the 'private button' when replying to posts here on this list. What does this button do exactly?

Oh, I see. I'm using the web interface, that's why I noticed that button.

Supanut,

This button is the replacement for the former "Send to Sender" button.  Most other venues use the term "Private Message" or "Direct Message" to respond "off-list" to the person who posted a given message rather than replying to the group.  After many long discussions in the Beta group for groups.io the use of a Private button, physically distant on the screen from the "Reply to Group" and "Discard" buttons, was chosen as the way to go.

I also use the web interface far more frequently than e-mail (which I generally only use if I'm doing testing).
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the info.