Topics

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Steve Hoad

This is a major update for Windows 10 being released August 2. I know
the update is out in Beta and many features have been changing since
the earliest release. Since these updates load automatically, are
there things we should be aware of as NVDA users?
Here's an article from "The Verge" released Monday July 25 at about 9 A.m. EDT.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review

--
Steve Hoad

Quentin Christensen

Hi Steve,

To be honest, one of the biggest changes I have found, is that the start menu is now three columns wide.  The left column has user account / file explorer / settings / power, the middle column has recent apps then all apps (first letter navigation jumps straight to first app of that letter in full apps list), and the right column has the windows 8 style tiles.  You can still only pin to the right column but at least you can press the context menu to get recent files for any program there now which is nice.

What annoys me is that to shut down from here involves:
1. Windows
2. tab (takes you to the left column first, if you'd press down arrow you'd have started moving down the middle app list column).
3. down arrow four times.
4. enter
5. down arrow
6. enter.

If you want to do it quicker, you can press WINDOWS+X , press U then U again, or windows+m to go to desktop then alt+f4, or just press the power button on your machine (I know that last one is easiest of all, I've just never got into the habit of doing it as that used to be strongly avoided due to data loss :)

There's a new dark mode which you can get to without a registry hack now which affects mostly just settings but does make it a bit easier for some.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Steve Hoad <mainefun40@...> wrote:
This is a major update for Windows 10 being released August 2.  I know
the update is out in Beta and many features have been changing since
the earliest release.  Since these updates load automatically, are
there things we should be aware of as NVDA users?
Here's an article from "The Verge" released Monday July 25 at about 9 A.m. EDT.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review

--
 Steve Hoad

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

David Moore

Hi Quentin,
Thank you so very much. I have been wondering what changes we will have in the new build. I like how the start area sounds being able to use first letter navigation to get through the all apps, and having three columns in the start area. Is the settings app laid out pretty much the same, or does the settings app have new categories, sub categories with in each category and so on?
Thanks a lot, and I am really excited for next week.
David Moore

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Anniversary Update

[...]

Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi,

A lot of new things, will talk about it next week during a Tek Talk presentation.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

[...]

The settings are laid out pretty much the same as they were.  They have tweaked how large DPI is handled and also I have a new monitor so it now appears as a column instead of a grid on my screen, but otherwise looks similar enough.

Mostly the whole things looks similar to how it looked before with a few tweaks here and there and some things work better and some have new features.  Cortana for instance has new features which I can't comment too much on as to be honest I never really use it :)

You can apparently get Cortana to show notifications from your Android device, which is nifty and you can reply to text messages and things, although apparently it's not compatible with my phone (it's fairly old - another reason for me to get a new phone!) so I can't test it directly just now.

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

The easiest way for me to shut down is to go to the desktop, hit alt F-4 and hit enter. I also like the windows X, u and u keystroke too. It's similar to how you'd shut down in windows XP.

Rosemarie

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Steve Hoad <mainefun40@... <mailto:mainefun40@...> > wrote:

This is a major update for Windows 10 being released August 2. I know
the update is out in Beta and many features have been changing since
the earliest release. Since these updates load automatically, are
there things we should be aware of as NVDA users?
Here's an article from "The Verge" released Monday July 25 at about 9 A.m. EDT.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review

--
Steve Hoad

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Arlene

Hi, I’d just go to the desktop then do alt f 4 that would shut off the computer. I usually do that and I’m on 7. So if I ended up with ten. I’d be able to shut down from the desktop?

[...]

Hi, I'd just do windows m like I do now then alt f 4 and enter!

[...]

Hi Arlene,

Yes as you are doing now will work exactly the same in Windows 10.  It's only if you access shut down from the Start menu that it's in a different place.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh okay. Sometimes I use the start to shut down. Or the desktop. So, Now if I ever ended up with ten. I can do windows x and the letter u twice? I’ll probably use the alt f 4 on the desk top.

[...]

That's right, you Windows+x then u then u also works.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks! That’s good to know! I know in 7 you will find the shut down. don’t know about tenh. I’ll just do windows x and the letter u twice.

[...]

I always just use alt+F4 on the desktop. Quick and painless LOL!
David Moore (win10 list moderator)

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:26 PM

[...]

Please ignore the signature: (win10 list moderator) at the bottom of my last message. That is for another list.

Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:19 AM

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:26 PM

[...]

Thanks, sounds great!
David Moore

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

[...]

Actually just a little update from my message - it's not that Cortana isn't available for my phone apparently, but that it isn't available in Australia yet.  Not sure when it might be, I've asked Microsoft and will let you know if I hear back.

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

[...]

That would be interesting to know when that is available in Australia.
I am excited about Cortana working with an Android phone, because that is the kind of phone I use.
Just to let you know, It is 1:45 A.M. early Tuesday morning here in the eastern part of the United States LOL!
Take care.
David Moore

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

[...]

Will existing classic shell users get issues do you think?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Know what in most windows versions I'm finding I hardly ever access the start menu at all, instead thef first time I find I need something that is not on the desktop I create a shortcut to it. It may well look a bit naff to the sighted but sure as heck is easier to trigger if you use useful hot keys.

mainefun40@...> > wrote:

[...]

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Will we have to reset all our settings for privacy or will they be preserved.
I'll look through them all and such but hmmm.