reading objects in Microsoft Word

Kevin Huber

Hi:

I have a Microsoft Word document which contains a couple of boxes tha
contain text. I am able to read the contents of these boxes using
Window-eyes but I do not no how to read these boxes using NVDA.
Is there a way to do this?
Kevin Huber

Quentin Christensen

Hi Kevin,

Text boxes are problematic and really the best solution is to convince people to just stop using them.  Failing that, this question actually came up last week, so I'll share what I wrote in answer to that here:

NVDA doesn't currently have a direct keystroke, it's something we could look into.  For now, though, there are still a couple of ways of reading text boxes currently:

If the text boxes are positioned "in line with text", they can be found within the text of the document.  Currently they are identified as "slash" though that's something we're working on.  Most text boxes are not in line with text (as floating is the default and having them in line with text makes them harder to drag around and position with the mouse - which is really the point of text boxes)

Once you are in a text box (or picture or other object) you can press TAB to move between them.  You can add a text box into a document by pressing alt+n, x, enter then press escape once (so you are out of the text itself but the text box is still selected), then you can press TAB to move between the objects in the document (this wraps so if you press TAB on the last object in the document it will jump back to the first object).  Be sure to either delete the text box you added or not save changes to this document!

You can also use the accessibility checker, which is handy for finding things but I'll warn you it's not the most direct route:  In Word 2016 you can get to this from the "tell me what you want to do" edit box by pressing alt+q and typing "check", but from 2013 (or from 2016) you can press alt+f (file menu), then i (info tab), then i (inspect document) then down arrow to check accessibility.  This opens the check accessibility task pane but unfortunately puts the focus back in your document so you need to press F6.  This shows any accessibility issues, so if you down arrow through the details it will say "Warning" then "objects not inline", then "text box 2" (not sure why, they all seem to be called text box 2?).  Press enter on that text box and press SHIFT+F6 to jump back to your document with the text box selected (this works the same as the previous method of adding a new text box but without changing your document.  It is more cumbersome though, I'll not deny that!).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen