Topics

NVDA questions about voices from a new user

Simon Wheatcroft <Moochoo@...>

Hi,

I am new to NVDA and windows, after being a MAc user for a number of years. I have 2 questions about NVDA and hope the community can help.

1. Latency, there appears to be a little latency when echoing characters and words. Especially when compared to the Mac. This is using the SAPI voices under NVDA. Is this typical?

2. Can anyone recommend a voice i can try or purchase that is similar in quality to Alex on the Mac? I enjoy the sound of this voice and would enjoy something of similar quality under windows that perhaps doesn’t have the latency issue as in question 1

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

            The first thing I'd suggest is changing your Synthesizer to the Microsoft One Core Voices and try selecting from among those.  The selection is wider and, if you elect to install any of a number of variants on English (UK, Australia, Canada) in addition to US (and I'm presuming US is your home country - tweak the prior list accordingly if it's not) you get quite a few more.  You may find something/someone you like.

             I can't speak to latency issues with character and word echoing as I just don't pay that much attention to that in most cases.  It could be just as bad with One Core, but I don't know that for sure.

Rob Hudson

Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
The first thing I'd suggest is changing your Synthesizer to the Microsoft One Core Voices and try selecting from among those. The selection is wider and, if you elect to install any of a number of variants on English (UK, Australia, Canada) in addition to US (and I'm presuming US is your home country - tweak the prior list accordingly if it's not) you get quite a few more.
I only have 2 US english voices. Is this all there is?
As an aside, are these voices SAPI compatible or some other interface.

Hi,
The United States English voices for Windows OneCore should be David, Mark,
and Zira (there is an additional hidden voice used by Cortana).
Cheers,
Joseph

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 10:30 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
The United States English voices for Windows OneCore should be David, Mark,
and Zira
Aren't those the SAPI 5 voices, or at least David and Zira are?     At the moment I'm using Richard, which is a One Core Voice, but my list now includes many more English voices with accents, both male and female.

If I switch back to the MS SAPI 5 synthesizer I have only David and Zira (US), and Hazel (UK).  I only get Mark in my list of One Core voices.

David and Zira are SAPI5 (desktop) voices.

Regarding latency problem: yes, this exists in SAPI5, although it was mitigated somewhat in NVDA 2018.2.

Also, note that OneCore is only available in Windows 10.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 10:30 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

The United States English voices for Windows OneCore should be David, Mark,
and Zira

Aren't those the SAPI 5 voices, or at least David and Zira are?     At the moment I'm using Richard, which is a One Core Voice, but my list now includes many more English voices with accents, both male and female.

If I switch back to the MS SAPI 5 synthesizer I have only David and Zira (US), and Hazel (UK).  I only get Mark in my list of One Core voices.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Did we ascertain he was on windows 10? Many machines floating about as second user ones are windows 7 I notice.
in that case its going to be speech platform or sappi 5. Both of which lag compared to say, Eloquence or espeak.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ H.L. Mencken , AKA The Sage of Baltimore

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:33 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Did we ascertain he was on windows 10?
Not definitively, but when someone who's been a self-described years-long Mac user states, "I am new to NVDA and windows," the most reasonable presumption is that they've got a new or newer machine with Windows 10.

I would not advise anyone transitioning into the Windows ecosystem in June 2018 to do so with Windows 7.  If you're new to Windows then the only sane thing to do at this point in time is to start with Windows 10, which will continue being supported well past January 2020.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, I do agree, but unfortunately there are a couple of legacy bits of software I use that mean I'm stuck. I guess with modern machines one can still have another version of windows running under a later one, but that seems a bit of an overkill.

Still I have found over here in the UK at least that people can get machines running 7 very cheaply but do not know if they will be updatable to 10. False economy it may be, but people do what they feel is best.

Actually there is not a great difference in 10 to 7 in may ways. The one thing I do not like is a new windows every six months with the inevitable troubles that causes with settings and old software etc.