Can't uise the NVDA menus

John J. Boyer

Hello,

I am using an Acer Swift 3 notebook with Windows 10 home and NVDA 2017.1.1. Either the configuration or NVDA itself has
become corrupted. Many menu items don't work and it is delivering messages about no headings at Level 1. I can't reset
it to factory defaults, assuming that works, because it would go to no Braille and I couldn't use the machine at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Hi John. Why are you on NVDA 2017? Do you have an old XP machine?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am using an Acer Swift 3 notebook with Windows 10 home and NVDA 2017.1.1. Either the configuration or NVDA itself has
become corrupted. Many menu items don't work and it is delivering messages about no headings at Level 1. I can't reset
it to factory defaults, assuming that works, because it would go to no Braille and I couldn't use the machine at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

John J. Boyer

That was a typo. I meant 2018.1.1. Those typols will kill me someday!

John

________________________________
[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi John,

I don't have a solution off the top of my head, but if you can get the log to me I'd be happy to have a look.

See  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for info on the log file, and my email address is info@... - if you send it to me directly you can attach it, but if you send it here to the group, you will need to paste the log into the body of the message as you can't send attachments to the group.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 3:49 AM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am using an Acer Swift 3 notebook with Windows 10 home and NVDA 2017.1.1. Either the configuration or NVDA itself has
become corrupted. Many menu items don't work and it is delivering messages about no headings at Level 1. I can't reset
it to factory defaults, assuming that works, because it would go to no Braille and I couldn't use the machine at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Have you tried creating a portable version on the hard drive and using that just to see. i fully realise that some things are not readable with a portable version but it might point to where the issue is. If it is a copy made from the one that fails, assuming of course it works enough to allow you to do this, then a finger might point to the issue rather better.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am using an Acer Swift 3 notebook with Windows 10 home and NVDA 2017.1.1. Either the configuration or NVDA itself has
become corrupted. Many menu items don't work and it is delivering messages about no headings at Level 1. I can't reset
it to factory defaults, assuming that works, because it would go to no Braille and I couldn't use the machine at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

John J. Boyer

I found that I wasn't using the NVDA menus properly. I find them confusing.

John
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 09:59:13AM +0100,
Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

Have you tried creating a portable version on the hard drive and using that
just to see. i fully realise that some things are not readable with a
portable version but it might point to where the issue is. If it is a copy
made from the one that fails, assuming of course it works enough to allow
you to do this, then a finger might point to the issue rather better.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@...>
I am using an Acer Swift 3 notebook with Windows 10 home and NVDA
2017.1.1. Either the configuration or NVDA itself has
become corrupted. Many menu items don't work and it is delivering messages
about no headings at Level 1. I can't reset
it to factory defaults, assuming that works, because it would go to no
Braille and I couldn't use the machine at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
that are available at no cost

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Antony Stone

If you could give a little more detail about how you find the menus confusing,
or what you think might work better, this could be useful feedback for either
the developers and/or the authors of tutorials and help guides.

You're clearly no newcomer to NVDA (I've seen postings on the list from you
for at least 4 years), so any comments about how you think the system could be
improved are potentially valuable.

Antony.

On Sunday 08 July 2018 at 17:10:01, John J. Boyer wrote:

I found that I wasn't using the NVDA menus properly. I find them confusing.

John
--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Jason White

And I would suggest making sure that you're running NVDA 2018.2 before writing a review, since there is now a new Preferences dialog that replaces the old Preferences menu.

--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."
The second logician says "I don't know."
The third logician says "Yes!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Sarah k Alawami

They are not confusing at all actually. They remind me of several standard dialogues I’ve ben dealign wiht for years and most mac menu structures and settings. It’s quite easy actually, at least for me.