Battle With Win10

David Russell

Hello group,
Late this afternoon I began having troubles in earnest with windows 10
forcing an install. NVDA did not read this was occurring, it was all
behind the scenes according to my wife who is sighted.

I did go to control panel, windows update, change settings and chose
the install automatic updates. This was suggested by an article at
make use of .com. It did not work.

My wife was able to again stop the install, but the problem is likely
to occur when my computer goes into low power mode, after not being
used for a few minutes.

This is quite disconcerting and evidently a widespread problem, not
just mine or a few others. Any thoughts?

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Felix G.

Hi,
at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ there is a tool which can prevent Win 10 related activity on Win 7 machines, according to the description. It looks very well put together and worked for me.
Had a forced install happen on my machine at home. It rebooted, then after a few hours it came back as Win 10. I just kept it but I sure didn't like the experience of having it forced upon me. Paradoxically I wanted it anyway but still this does make a philosophical difference.
Greetings,
Felix Grützmacher

David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016 um 04:26 Uhr:

[...]

well it won't matter anyway.
win10 upgrade ends tomorrow so it won't matter much.

David Russell <david.sonofhashem@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016
[...]

The original problem was that it tries to suggest a time for the install. If you say you don't want to, it will do it now. If you say yeas then it won't.
Then install never 10 and make sure its off for this anytime update and it should be fine even though the install file may well be on the machine. They have relented in the last windows update last week and send a new version of the nag that also does what never 10 does and allows you to banish it, but it seems that once the process has happened once, they have no way to stop it, unless you do this third party fix.
Of course if its already started to update you might be better off doing it seeing what you think of it then going back within the month. Its up to you.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Late this afternoon I began having troubles in earnest with windows 10
forcing an install. NVDA did not read this was occurring, it was all
behind the scenes according to my wife who is sighted.

I did go to control panel, windows update, change settings and chose
the install automatic updates. This was suggested by an article at
make use of .com. It did not work.

My wife was able to again stop the install, but the problem is likely
to occur when my computer goes into low power mode, after not being
used for a few minutes.

This is quite disconcerting and evidently a widespread problem, not
just mine or a few others. Any thoughts?

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com
Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.
James A. Michener

Not for us blind folk I understand somehow we have at least another month to do it according to news I've read but in fact I'd like to know how it knows you are blind.

[...]

Lenron

I would hate to be the person that decides to update after tomorrow.

On 7/28/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Gene

But we don't know yet if users of earlier versions of Windows will continue to be bombarded by Microsoft with nag messages in the system tray about buying an upgrade.  These, if they are intrusive enough, may be wanted to be blocked, especially if blind users hear ongoing messages automatically read by their screen-readers interrupting what they are doing.  Also, if the messages are intrusive enough, sighted people may want to block them as wel.  We'll see.  Microsoft has gone out of its way to try to cram Windows 10 down the throats of its users.  We'll see if they are less intrusive about it in future.

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:31 AM

well it  won't matter anyway.
win10  upgrade  ends   tomorrow so  it won't   matter much.

On 28/07/2016 6:54 p.m., Felix G. wrote:
> Hi,
> at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ there is a tool which can prevent
> Win 10 related activity on Win 7 machines, according to the description. It
> looks very well put together and worked for me.
> Had a forced install happen on my machine at home. It rebooted, then after
> a few hours it came back as Win 10. I just kept it but I sure didn't like
> the experience of having it forced upon me. Paradoxically I wanted it
> anyway but still this does make a philosophical difference.
> Greetings,
> Felix Grützmacher
>
> David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016
> um 04:26 Uhr:
>
>> Hello group,
>> Late this afternoon I began having troubles in earnest with windows 10
>> forcing an install. NVDA did not read this was occurring, it was all
>> behind the scenes according to my wife who is sighted.
>>
>> I did go to control panel, windows update, change settings and chose
>> the install automatic updates. This was suggested by an article at
>> make use of .com. It did not work.
>>
>> My wife was able to again stop the install, but the problem is likely
>> to occur when my computer goes into low power mode, after not being
>> used for a few minutes.
>>
>> This is quite disconcerting and evidently a widespread problem, not
>> just mine or a few others. Any thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> David Russell
>> david.sonofhashem@...
>> Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.
>> James A. Michener

Scott VanDeWalle

Hi, i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you are at all considering upgrading to win 10 you should do it today.
That way for one thing you will not have to worry about having to even pay attention to that thing about win 10 being free for users of assistive technology. I don't know, but i bet the process is a pain to do and myself, i just would not want to bother with it.
Not telling yall what to do but if it was me and i did not yet have a copy of windows 10, i'd be really worried right now. smile.
Have a nice day and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Scott
[...]

If you take a full backup, including a system image (which is the critical thing in this case), you can also choose to roll-back to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 after the 30-day built-in rollback expires or if it fails (and it sometimes has).

For anyone who is thinking they really want to go to Windows 10 my advice would be to make a system image backup of your current system to your external backup drive and do your upgrade today or tomorrow.  Once a given piece of hardware is licensed to run Windows 10 you can roll back to your earlier version if that's what you want for the time being and then install Windows 10 again, at no cost, at your desired time.  I intend to do this with my remaining two Windows 7 machines.

How difficult it will be to upgrade is a matter of complete speculation.  I don't believe people should upgrade under pressure.  they should upgrade if they wish to.

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:18 AM

Hi, i'm going to go out on a limb here and say  that if you are at all
considering upgrading to win 10 you should do it today.
That way for one thing you will not have to worry about having to even
pay attention to that thing about win 10 being free for users of
assistive technology. I don't know, but i bet the process is a pain to
do and myself, i just would not want to bother with it.
Not telling yall what to do but if it was me and i did not yet have a
copy of windows 10, i'd be really worried right now. smile.
Have a nice day and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Scott
> I would hate to be the person that decides to update after tomorrow.

> On 7/28/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
>> Not for us  blind folk I understand somehow we have at least another month
>> to do it according to news I've read but in fact I'd like to know how it
>> knows you are blind.

>>  Brian

>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Rui Fontes

Because you are usimg a screen reader...

Rui

win10 upgrade ends tomorrow so it won't matter much.

On 28/07/2016 6:54 p.m., Felix G. wrote:
Hi,
at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ there is a tool which can
prevent
Win 10 related activity on Win 7 machines, according to the description.
It
looks very well put together and worked for me.
Had a forced install happen on my machine at home. It rebooted, then
after
a few hours it came back as Win 10. I just kept it but I sure didn't like
the experience of having it forced upon me. Paradoxically I wanted it
anyway but still this does make a philosophical difference.
Greetings,
Felix Grtzmacher

[...]

Pascal Lambert

How about machines that came with Win10 installed?  Do you have to do a fresh install of Win7 if you decide  to get rid of win10?  The big issue for me is MS Edge!  Hopefully the August update will solve the related issues.

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal