Topics

How to reach cookie warning banners in Windows 10

Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...>

Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know, firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Not seen this in Firefox, yes sites ask about cookies but normall tell you what to do, ie continue assumes you have agreed or agree or whatever it is.
What browser is this?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know, firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...>

The browser is Chrome. But I guess it is the same for all browsers, as the websites put up their legally-required banner in each browser. I don't see a way to do whatever the action should be. There is normally a link to get more info on their cookie policy, but that does not dismiss the banner.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Crabtree" <pandbcrabtree@icloud.com>
Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know, firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Gene

I have never seen such a banner.  Also, you give no information about the browser you are using nor do you give any information about what the message says.  With more information, you might get an answer.  You may be able to set your browser to prompt you about accepting cookies on sites.  I don't recall seeing such a setting in any browser but that doesn't mean it may not be present in your browser.  It may be that you need to change a browser setting to stop this behavior.

Gene

Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know, firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Gene

I'm not sure what you are referring to nor why you are seeing it so much.  I see notices about cookies on certain sites, but on a lot f sites, I don't.  And I don't see a banner display.  If you give us the address of a site where you see a banner. people can look at the site.

If people look, you might get better and faster help.

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:28 AM

On 28 Jul 2016, at 08:59, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:

Not seen this in Firefox, yes sites ask about cookies but normall tell you what to do, ie continue assumes you have agreed or agree or whatever it is.
What browser is this?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Crabtree" <pandbcrabtree@...>
Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know, firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Kevin Huber

Hi Brian:
Try pressing f6 once or twice, I think that is the command to switch
from one pane to another.
Kevin Huber

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@icloud.com> wrote:
Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
there who can supply answers.

Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.

There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
official release of NVDA.

Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Gene

But the question is why is this being seen?  Also, it isn't clear whether this is a part of a web page or something displayed by the browser. F6 will only be useful if the item is displayed as certain kinds of structures by the browser and not by the web page itself.  We don't know.  We need more information.  If possible, a link to one of the pages where this occurs should be given.  List members need to see if they see the item when going to the page.  This may be something that a browser settings change will correct.  Or it may not.  Whatever it is, we need more information.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 9:48 AM

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...> wrote:
> Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
> other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
> there who can supply answers.
>
> Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
> up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.
>
> There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
> firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
> NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
> official release of NVDA.
>
> Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Hello,

If I'm understanding correctly, this message is by the web page. It is part of the web page itself and can be found, read and interact with within the virtual buffer. Where in the virtual buffer it will be, depends on the web page in question. Usually it is either on the top or on the bottom of the page. There the user can find a control (button, link, clickable item, or something similar), witch will allow the user to dismiss the message. But it is not necessary to dismiss it - it can safely be ignored - it is just an informative message - nothing else. This message will most certainly appear in a web page if the "Do not track" feature of the browser in use is enabled. At least those are my observations.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 29.7.2016 г. в 18:35, Gene написа:

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Hi Brian:
Try pressing f6 once or twice, I think that is the command to switch
from one pane to another.
Kevin Huber

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...> wrote:
> Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
> other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
> there who can supply answers.
>
> Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
> up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.
>
> There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
> firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
> NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
> official release of NVDA.
>
> Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Gene

Which would explain, if it is correct, why I've never seen such a message.  I don't use do not track.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Hi Brian:
Try pressing f6 once or twice, I think that is the command to switch
from one pane to another.
Kevin Huber

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...> wrote:
> Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
> other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
> there who can supply answers.
>
> Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
> up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.
>
> There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
> firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
> NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
> official release of NVDA.
>
> Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...>

I have figured this out - see below - but thought I should clarify things for those kind enough to stimulate my brain with suggestions.

The reason for the banners appearing is an EU ruling that every website has to seek your approval for its use of cookies. There is some text, a link to view their cookie policy and a button or link which dismisses the banner and adds a cookie so it doesn't come up again.

F6 does not help, as the banner is typically an element of the web page - I want to remove it because it often obscures part of the web page's contents.

I am using Chrome on Windows 10, but it doesn't matter which browser is used.

Here is a link to a site for which I struggled to find the banner, to dismiss it, but I have finally figured out that using ctrl plus home or ctrl plus end will usually find the banner and I can then use Review to find the button or link which closes the banner. The link is to www.rightmove.co.uk

Brian Crabtree

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Hi Brian:
Try pressing f6 once or twice, I think that is the command to switch
from one pane to another.
Kevin Huber

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...> wrote:
> Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
> other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
> there who can supply answers.
>
> Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
> up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.
>
> There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
> firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
> NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
> official release of NVDA.
>
> Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Gene

Then perhaps this is shown to European users and not to others.  In addition, if you are describing a real button, you should be able to find it with the command b.  Have you tried that?  When working with web sites, using review is usually not needed and there are usually other better ways to find things.  I suspect that, if this isn't a real button, you could find whatever word you are looking for more easily and quickly by using the NVDA find and searching for the word close.  There is no way for me to check what you are describing and try my suggestions but they may be useful.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Hi Brian:
Try pressing f6 once or twice, I think that is the command to switch
from one pane to another.
Kevin Huber

On 7/28/16, Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...> wrote:
> Excuse me for posting this question again. Perhaps because of heavy focus on
> other topics, it got no replies the first time, but there must be folks out
> there who can supply answers.
>
> Please could someone suggest how to reach and dismiss the banner that comes
> up on websites, advising me that the site uses cookies.
>
> There is an x at the end of the banner, but I have tried everything I know,
> firstly to navigate to the banner and then to reach the x to dismiss it with
> NVDA and cannot get anywhere near it. I am on Windows 10 and the latest
> official release of NVDA.
>
> Is there perhaps a Windows command which helps? Brian Crabtree

Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...>

Thanks for that, Gene. The dismiss button or link seems to have random wording, so Find may not suffice, but browse mode b and k seem to do the trick. Cheers.

Gene

Are you saying that at times b works and at times k does?  If that is the case, it implies that this is shown at times as a button and at times as a link.  I don't know how you use review on web pages but if you use it for more than problems such as a link that you can't activate from the keyboard, for example, or an embedded object you can't activate from the keyboard, then you are likely using it too much.
Using browse and ways to find things in browse mode such as find and quick navigation commands is usually much more efficient and I usually try such methods before trying review.  usually much more efficient.

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 5:37 AM