NVDA in safe mode

Don H

Can someone direct me to instructions to set up NVDA to run in safe mode please.
Thanks

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Don

The following directions are from off my nvda audio tutorials page under
trouble shooting.

I know it works on windows 10 which is confirmed when the tutorial was
added to. Every step must be followed for it to work.Both to get into
safe mode and also leave it.

There is also a zip file floating about it is called like safe mode.zip
and works with real tech cards and others from what i hear. I would have
to look to see if i have it or some one else might.

Any how directions are below to get into and out of safe mode.

How to access safe mode in Windows and exit it with the NVDA screen
reader by Hareth  and co
What is safe mode?
Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your
computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary
to run Windows are started. Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting
problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or
that might prevent Windows from starting correctly.
To use NVDA in safe mode
You will need to install a registry patch first. This file can be found
at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0
After it has been installed it will allow you to use NVDA in safe mode.
This has been tested on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine and with
quite a few different sound cards.
Directions to go into and out of safe mode in Windows
You can reboot in to safe mode by doing the following:
Press Windows plus R and type msconfig and hit Enter
Press Ctrl plus Tab to get to the "boot tab"
Tab to "safe boot" and check the check mark/check box.
Tab to "base video" and check it as well.
Tab to the apply button. Press Enter (or spacebar).
Tab to the OK button and press it. You should get a prompt to restart
the computer to apply the changes.
If you select "restart now" your PC should restart into safe mode.
Please note: When the registry patch has been installed, when you go
into safe mode,  you will have sound and be able to use the NVDA screen
reader.
Message you will get while in safe mode

To confirm you are in safe mode, you can use the NVDA key + letter B.
Below is the type of message you will get as an example on a Windows 10
machine.
Safe Mode Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build
16299.rs3_release.170928-1534) Safe Mode
After finishing your PC job with safe mode, do the same steps above, but
this time uncheck the two check boxes above for both safe boot, and base
video. Tab to apply and press Enter. Tab to OK and press Enter (or
spacebar) and restart. Your PC will restart to the normal mode.

Gene nz

On 6/30/2018 12:15 PM, Don H wrote:
Can someone direct me to instructions to set up NVDA to run in safe
mode please.
Thanks

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Found the file and have drop boxed it at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0

for the message that was sent before for windows 10 the activate safe
mode zip file is not needed I think it was more for earlier machines.

some body on the list might be able to give you more information the
ones who have used it. I just have not.

Gene nz

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes I used it on 7, and on xp with the older version of nvda that will run on it. It seems to work on most sound cards on motherboards and rather supprisingly even on my external usb one with phono plug ins and outs.
I needed it when running avastclear and it did the job fine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I had already installed the .reg file to activate sound in safe mode. I had also went to the boot part of msconfig and checked the two options you indicated and after hitting the OK button restarted windows and got into safe mode. However after getting to the desktop and hitting enter on the NVDA icon and trying to use the NVDA shortcut key I got no speech.
Running latest Windows 10 and latest released version of NVDA.

Roger Stewart

This link works just fine, but be sure to change the last digit from zero to a one before using it!

Roger

On 6/30/2018 12:19 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

Do you get system sounds but no speech?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I had already installed the .reg file to activate sound in safe mode. I had also went to the boot part of msconfig and checked the two options you indicated and after hitting the OK button restarted windows and got into safe mode. However after getting to the desktop and hitting enter on the NVDA icon and trying to use the NVDA shortcut key I got no speech.
Running latest Windows 10 and latest released version of NVDA.

Don H

getting no sound at all.

On 7/1/2018 2:38 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Do you get system sounds but no speech?
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
I had already installed the .reg file to activate sound in safe mode. I had also went to the boot part of msconfig and checked the two options you indicated and after hitting the OK button restarted windows and got into safe mode.  However after getting to the desktop and hitting enter on the NVDA icon and trying to use the NVDA shortcut key I got no speech.
Running latest Windows 10 and latest released version of NVDA.

Gene

I don't recall if I ever saw anything definitive about this, but I've seen comments that this method only works with one brand of internal sound card.  It's a widely used brand, Realtech, but this may be the cause of the problem.  Does anyone know if it is definitely true about the limitation?

On 7/1/2018 2:38 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> Do you get system sounds but no speech?
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>

Strange is that I had this safe mode speech working with earlier versions of Win 10 and NVDA.

On 7/1/2018 8:05 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't recall if I ever saw anything definitive about this, but I've seen comments that this method only works with one brand of internal sound card.  It's a widely used brand, Realtech, but this may be the cause of the problem.  Does anyone know if it is definitely true about the limitation?
On 7/1/2018 2:38 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> Do you get system sounds but no speech?
> Brian
>
> bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@... <mailto:briang1@...>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...
>> I had already installed the .reg file to activate sound in safe mode.
>> I had also went to the boot part of msconfig and checked the two
>> options you indicated and after hitting the OK button restarted
>> windows and got into safe mode.  However after getting to the desktop
>> and hitting enter on the NVDA icon and trying to use the NVDA shortcut
>> key I got no speech.
>> Running latest Windows 10 and latest released version of NVDA.

Don Risavy, Jr. <donaldrisavy@...>

How do you make this happen as far as nvda with safe mode as would be good to have if works especially in windows 10.

<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> > Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA in safe mode > > >> I had already
installed the .reg file to activate sound in safe mode.
>> I had also went to the boot part of msconfig and checked the two
options you indicated and after hitting the OK button restarted >>
windows and got into safe mode. However after getting to the desktop
and hitting enter on the NVDA icon and trying to use the NVDA
shortcut >> key I got no speech.
>> Running latest Windows 10 and latest released version of NVDA.

Chris Mullins

Hi
Do shortcuts actually work in safe mode? Do you know if NVDA actually starts up? Does Narrator work in safe mode?

Cheers
Chris