nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, the following add-ons mantained by me (nvdaes), have been updated and are available on the community add-ons website, at:
https://addons.nvda-project.org:

They contain translations updates:

* Clip Contents Designer 8.1.
* emoticons 7.1. Thanks Chris as main author, Mesar and Francisco Javier.
* eMule 3.12. Thanks Chris and Alberto Buffolino as authors.
* placeMarkers 10.1. Thanks Chris, also as an author.
* readFeeds 4.4. Thanks Mesar as an author too.
* reportSymbols 4.1.

Thanks users, reviewers and translators for making these add-ons possible and contributing to improve them.
Please, for more details or to download these add-ons, go to the website, at
https://addons.nvda-project.org

Repos of these add-ons are on GitHub at
https://github.com/nvdaes

I started to create issue templates for requesting features or reporting bugs, for now just in Emoticons.

For ease of reviews, as always, commits to add-ons maintained by Abdel, Robert and me are sent to the following mailing list:
https://nvdaes.groups.io/g/NVDAADDONSCOMMITS

Enjoy!

Gerardo Corripio

Again I'm finding they don't update by themselves using latest NVDA, thus I guess they're not compatible yet with the new AddOns updating feature? I restarted NVDA but no go. Should it ask me or let me know that an AddON update is available?

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, these add-ons don't include a way to update themselves. I didn't implement it since I don't know what would happen if several add-ons include this, since NVDA for now does not provide a way to do it.
For now, you need to be care of updates on mailing lists, and download the last version on the website.

Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 15:29, Gerardo Corripio escribió:
[...]

NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, there are authors that provide that mechanism, but it's not provided by NVDA. It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself. Please look at this issue:
I'm not completely sure about this: I don't know if it could produce any issue if some other add-ons or programs check for updates or make some process at the same time.
If I were sure, I would implement this using code based on other add-ons and the update functionality for NVDA.

Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 17:22, Brian Vogel escribió:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.
I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.
I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.
--
*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./

Hi,
I am the one that's writing necessary code modifications for that GitHub issue. So far, client side is done, and we need server side changes. I'm waiting for certain things to come to NVDA master snapshots before continuing this work, namely wxPython 4 support.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Not all add-on authors provide this functionality. I do know that at least four add-ons do provide this: StationPlaylist Studio and Windows 10 App Essentials from me, Braille Extender, and WeatherPlus. In case of Windows 10 App Essentials, it is necessary due to continuous delivery in place due to the fact that Windows 10 changes its interface and features constantly.

Cheers,

Joseph

NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

Richard Wells

I believe what was being requested though, was add-ons being able to detect hotkey conflicts and notify the user. I definitely would love to see this feature. It would have saved me some grief while trouble-shooting why Clip Contents Designer suddenly stopped working. I did need to update it, but evidently, which ever add-on gets updated last takes over functionality. I first thought that NVDA upgrade broke it, but, removing Golden Cursor resolved it permanently.

On 6/30/2018 10:22 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, there is an issue opened for this:
You can provide feed-back there too:

I don't know how should be implemented. For instance, conflictive gestures (not just assigned to add-ons) could be shown in the Input Gestures dialog, each one in its own category. Other option would be a dialog showing gestures in conflict with a combo box to choose one of the assigned commands, not the others. But I tend to think it would be better to show them in the standard Input gestures dialog.
These are aspects to decide. 😔

Thanks

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 08:30 am, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself.
That does, and should, matter to you as a developer (and, for the record, I once was one in a former life).

As far as the end-user is concerned, the locus of the detection of "new update available," is utterly irrelevant.  All I was trying to point out is that the mechanism is in use and has been in use for some time, and I imagine those using it would be willing to help out other add-on writers who wished to do the same.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, as I said, I'm not sure about possible drawbacks of implementing this in several add-ons. This could be relevant, so for now, while I'm not sure about possible concerns, I won't implement it.
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed there.

Cheers

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed there.
Your call.  I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.

Noelia Ruiz

Hope this can be done.

Cheers

El 30/06/2018 a las 21:28, Brian Vogel escribió:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better
addressed there.
Your call.  I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.
--
*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./
          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/

Hi,

It is a long-term hope that this can be part of NVDA Core in the end.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:

NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed there.

Your call.  I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've never seen any add on prompt to say there is an update. I imagine that there is no way for older add ons to notify nvda of their version to trigger an update. Personally, I'd rather decide myself. At the moment you can get bamboozled into it and end up with a problem. Take Focus Highlight version 5 for example the debug logging code was left in making the resulting log of nvda very verbose with lots of pen colour lines in it. 5.1 fixed it and 5.2 seems more snappy than the previous one. I'm not sure if Joseph has updated this yet. I actually do not enable it unless I have a sighted person hee as if they are using it sightedly and turn off the sound they still get the pretty lines and this confuses the poor dears. Grin.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

No but is a hell of a distraction to keep getting alerts, then allowing them to find some subtle change has stopped you doing what you want to do!
There seems to be no testing of release quality add on updates.
[...]

Well I see no reason why not, and its really then up to the writer. Personally as long as one can disable it then I do not care.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:

NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed
there.
Your call. I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ H.L. Mencken , AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes at the risk of generating hate mail, this is the one aspect of current Windows that has kept me on windows 7.
To have to be faced with a new windows every six months is really just a step too far for me at the moment.
[...]

Yes subject drift to wider discussion has occurred here. I too, thing that any kind of keyboard interactions need to be displayed in info easy to access on all add ons so one can decide whether to get an add on which conflicts and have to modify one or the or the or just avoid the add on.
I do not like the unassigned key idea as it can be quite annoying to redefine or define a key sequence only to find it gets in the way of something else. At least if they have a default you can use it by disabling the one the conflicts and then decide. Brian