making the menus in libre office talk

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Mark <mark@...>

Hi using windows 10 with the latest NVDA and LibreOffice 6.0

And the menus talk fine for me make sure  they are using LibreOffice 6.0

Mark.

Tune in to the number one station on the web TAFN radio
http://tafn.org.uk/listen
Or for our catch up service on demand http://www.tafn.org.uk/on-demand
or for our upcoming weekly schedule
http://www.tafn.org.uk/radio
part of the accessible friends network
www.tafn.org.uk
Registered UK Charity: #1108043.
Sent from Windows 10 Mail.

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for

the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she

can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with

the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there

a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

I'll ask her waht version of libre office she's using. They might have installed an older version but I don't know for sure.

On 6/30/2018 10:20 AM, Mark wrote:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi
Odd that it's just the menus. Is this a situation where Java RTE and Access bridge are required to obtain access to the menus?

Cheers
Chris

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

It might be but I don't know for sure. I'll ask my friend when I talk to her again.

On 6/30/2018 1:10 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:
Hi
Odd that it's just the menus. Is this a situation where Java RTE and Access bridge are required to obtain access to the menus?

Cheers
Chris

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I think Java runtime is only required for the database programme.

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

That's probably right. My friend said she'd ask the lady in Texas.

On 6/30/2018 2:07 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I think Java runtime is only required for the database programme.

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The menus in Libra Office writer do talk. The behaviour on the launcher is a little non standard it is true but it does talk
This screen appears blank, but you can make the drop down menu work in the normal way, if you choose not to select and escape, you can tab around some buttons on the main screen. I think this is merely a focus issue at launch.
I'm using the portable version of Libra here.
If its not working could they have installed some old version on the system?
It no longer seems to need Java.

I'm running on windows 7, which is often what these refurbished machines come with, at least in the UK.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No, I have neither on my machine and they work. Indeed its a portable version so can be used on any machine java or not.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Odd that it's just the menus. Is this a situation where Java RTE and Access bridge are required to obtain access to the menus?

Cheers
Chris

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I can confirm that its not so much that the menus need the JRE, but the data base is created using Java by the looks of it. I've never had much luck with anything Java even going back to xp, so I tend to not use the Libra/open office database.
When you go to save a database as a new item in any of those programs, a little message pops up saying jre required to create this database, or similar. I have also encountered it locking up nvda or being unable to close after this due, no doubt to the confused state of windows at this point.
If anyone actually feels that databases created in Libra Office are workable even with JRE installed, then say so. I have to say I'm not impressed at accessibility in previous attempts, but most tend to stick to spreadsheets and word processors and maybe get some other software more amenable for databases.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

That's probably right. My friend said she'd ask the lady in Texas.

On 6/30/2018 2:07 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I think Java runtime is only required for the database programme.

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

It's very possible that they could have installed an older version of libre office. I'll have to ask my friend when I talk to her.

Rosemarie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosemarie Chavarria" <knitqueen2007@gmail.com>