nvda on a usb drive

Gary Metzler

Hi All,

I am using the latest windows and nvda.  I had a new profile created by ms and I created a portable copy on my c drive.  I put the nvdaport folder on a usb drive I want to put nvda on the new profile.  How would I go about this?  Thanks for any help.

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

Skype:  garymetz

John Isige

If I understand what you're talking about:

1. Login to your new profile.

2. Run NVDA from the USB drive.

3. Go to the NVDA menu, tools, and pick install, or whatever it's
called. I can't tell you because I'm running an installed copy. Install,
tell it to copy your addons or whatever you need.

4. You're done, enjoy NVDA.

On 6/30/2018 19:39, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest windows and nvda.  I had a new profile created
by ms and I created a portable copy on my c drive.  I put the nvdaport
folder on a usb drive I want to put nvda on the new profile.  How
would I go about this?  Thanks for any help.

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

Skype:  garymetz

Gary Metzler

Hi John,

What I need to know is what is the command line to launch nvda from my usb
drive? Thanks for your help.

If I understand what you're talking about:

1. Login to your new profile.

2. Run NVDA from the USB drive.

3. Go to the NVDA menu, tools, and pick install, or whatever it's called. I
can't tell you because I'm running an installed copy. Install, tell it to
copy your addons or whatever you need.

4. You're done, enjoy NVDA.

On 6/30/2018 19:39, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi All,

I am using the latest windows and nvda.  I had a new profile created
by ms and I created a portable copy on my c drive.  I put the nvdaport
folder on a usb drive I want to put nvda on the new profile.  How
would I go about this?  Thanks for any help.

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

Skype:  garymetz

Brian's Mail list account

Well, as its windows 10, use narrator to go to the thumb drive and open it, go to the nvda folder and open it then find nvda.exe and run it. After that you just need the nvda menu and tools etc as previously described. Of course if you have UAC on you may get an invisible window for that as you presumably have seen before. I'm assuming this is an admin account you are installing into.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Hi Brian,

Thanks, I will give that a try.

[...]

It would be drive:\nvdaport\nvda to run your portable copy. I don't know what drive letter your USB drive will be assigned though, you'll have to figure that out yourself. Using narrator should work just fine, but in case you know the letter the drive gets assigned, you can run it directly. If it's still on your c: drive, you can also run it directly from there, c:\nvdaport\nvda

On 7/1/2018 4:45, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi Brian,

Thanks, I will give that a try.

[...]

Thanks for your help.
I am having an issue installing nvda on my new profile. I switch to the new profile and go to my portable folder and goto nvda. When it comes up I go to tools and go to install. It starts fine but, I get a windows defender notice that it blocked changes. I then get an error message that nvda failed. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks,

[...]

Somebody else will have to help with this. Defender has some new
protection mode or something. You can turn it off but I thought the
latest version of NVDA, or maybe the one before that, could install even
if the protection was on. Ah, here's what I was thinking of, from
2018.1: "• In Windows 10 Fall Creaters Update, NVDA no longer fails to
update when Controlled Folder Access is enabled from Windows Defender
Security Center." Are you using an older version of NVDA? If so you
might want to update your portable copy, if you can.

On 7/1/2018 19:12, Gary Metzler wrote:
[...]

I am using the latest nvda with my portable copy. Thanks for getting back to me.

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Gary
I am struggling to understand your set-up here. You say you have a portable copy on the C: drive and you want a copy on your USB drive. Can you not just copy the C: drive folder containing the portable copy to the USB drive?

When I use a USB portable copy of NVDA on a USB drive, I include a batch file in the root of the USB drive called RunNVDA.bat. To launch the USB copy, I can then press windows+r to open the run dialog then type ?:\RunNVDA and press enter. ? being the drive letter assigned to the USB drive. To restart NVDA just re-run the batch file as above.

To create the batch file, copy and paste the following 5 lines into a Notepad file and save it as RunNVDA.bat . If you need to edit the .bat file once you have created it, select it in file explorer, press the applications key, arrow down to "edit" and press enter.

@echo off
rem Place this batch file in the root of your USB drive
set NP=NVDAPort
rem The command below runs the NVDA portable copy in the NP folder defined above
start %~dp0%NP%\nvda_slave.exe launchNVDA -r

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Hi Chris,

I got my portable nvda folder onto a usb drive. What I am now trying to do is put a permanent copy onto my new profile. When I run nvda and go to tools and go to install windows defender blocks the changes. I am going to call ms and see if they can help. Thanks for the batch file idea.