New release system and new snapshot names from Mick

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

From: "Mick Curran" <mick@nvaccess.org>
To: "NVDA screen reader development" <nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>;
<nvda-translations@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 2:43 AM
Subject: [Nvda-devel] Changes to release process

Hi contributors,

We have made some small changes to the NVDA release process. Please read
the updated Release Process article carefully to understand the changes
and how they will affect you.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ReleaseProcess

In short, Next/incubation is going away, and prs are going to be merged
straight to master. Periodic betas will be offered startin from 5 weeks
before a release.

Please read the entire article to understand the changes fully.

Translators should not be directly affected by this change. Though
technically, translations are now based on a new "beta" branch rather than
master.

Mick

Mick Curran
Executive Director, NV Access Limited
PH: +61 7 3149 3306 ext. 101
www: http://www.nvaccess.org/
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian comments. I think this is actually going to affect people on this list
like myself who use the bleeding edge code as portable versions and master
as a daily working version.
I worry a little hear about a large number of untested by users items
arriving in the beta all at once which might be a little scary if a lot of
people find issues. At the moment they hit next regularly and one can see
the wood for the trees so to speak.

If you have any comments, send them to Mick not me though, as I do not see
any kind of consultation with users on this one.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

A reply from Mick. I have also added my comments to Josephs translations sub line earlier as it really does not flag up the extent this change may affect normal users of snapshots here .

===
He writes:
Hi Brian,

I appreciate your constructive feedback. We will certainly think about
your proposal and see what we can manage.

Although we have published the new process, we have not yet removed any
branches or switched anyone over, so we can still make some changes
before committing to this fully.

The reasons for sticking with the name master for the default
development branch are:

1. We don't want to break existing pull requests which are currently
open against master. There are more than 40 or so.

2. We don't want new contributors submitting pull requests against an
old (defunct) version of master (if we do move).

3. master is the generally accepted name for the default branch of git
repositories for most projects on github.

There may be another way to solve this specifically for snapshots. I'll
have to research this further.

We will wait for more feedback and think on this more.

Mick

But,

On 4/07/2018 4:59 PM, Brians old account via Nvda-devel wrote:
While I can see the reasoning for this change. I do think that a number of us are going to have to do the following. When the Next becomes master, we are going to have a period when the new beta branch does not exist, Now taking my own case as a for instance. I currently use master as my working version though I of course do have a portable of the latest stable version, That will mean if I do nothing result in effectively my master becoming next, which means my normal copy is now bleeding edge code. I may have to wait till the new beta is created for the ability to change this around, and make next master and master beta. Would it not be more sensible to just remove master, and use next as you propose master is to be, then create a new beta when applicable?
That way folk used to using master as pretty stable will not be affected. They will stay on master, then when a new beta comes out they will be migrated to this for their working versions.
if you want users to participate, as I think is a good thing, in my view the proposal I outline above will carry more people with you. also please remember to formerly tell people on the user list about what you are doing so you do not suddenly find a lot of folk with problems.
I do realise that there are now a lot more checks done automatically, but in the end its the user that will be running the code more than anyone else, and feedback from that cohort of people is worth its weight in gold. we all know that many programmers are the worst testers as they are predictable. its the newbie and the less confident user who finds the bugs.
So what do you think?

Brian

bgaff@lineone.net
Brian Gaff's other account.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mick Curran" <mick@nvaccess.org>

[...]

Jason White

It's encouraging that NV Access is making progress toward greater automated regression testing, improved code review procedures, and a better release process.

He writes:
Hi Brian,

I appreciate your constructive feedback. We will certainly think about
your proposal and see what we can manage.

Although we have published the new process, we have not yet removed any
branches or switched anyone over, so we can still make some changes
before committing to this fully.

The reasons for sticking with the name master for the default
development branch are:

1. We don't want to break existing pull requests which are currently
open against master. There are more than 40 or so.

2. We don't want new contributors submitting pull requests against an
old (defunct) version of master (if we do move).

3. master is the generally accepted name for the default branch of git
repositories for most projects on github.

There may be another way to solve this specifically for snapshots. I'll
have to research this further.

We will wait for more feedback and think on this more.

Mick

But,

On 4/07/2018 4:59 PM, Brians old account via Nvda-devel wrote:
> While I can see the reasoning for this change. I do think that a number of
> us are going to have to do the following. When the Next becomes master, we
> are going to have a period when the new beta branch does not exist, Now
> taking my own case as a for instance. I currently use master as my working
> version though I of course do have a portable of the latest stable
> version, That will mean if I do nothing result in effectively my master
> becoming next, which means my normal copy is now bleeding edge code. I may
> have to wait till the new beta is created for the ability to change this
> around, and make next master and master beta. Would it not be more
> sensible to just remove master, and use next as you propose master is to
> be, then create a new beta when applicable?
> That way folk used to using master as pretty stable will not be affected.
> They will stay on master, then when a new beta comes out they will be
> migrated to this for their working versions.
> if you want users to participate, as I think is a good thing, in my view
> the proposal I outline above will carry more people with you. also please
> remember to formerly tell people on the user list about what you are doing
> so you do not suddenly find a lot of folk with problems.
> I do realise that there are now a lot more checks done automatically, but
> in the end its the user that will be running the code more than anyone
> else, and feedback from that cohort of people is worth its weight in gold.
> we all know that many programmers are the worst testers as they are
> predictable. its the newbie and the less confident user who finds the
> bugs.
> So what do you think?
>
> Brian
>
> bgaff@lineone.net
> Brian Gaff's other account.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mick Curran" <mick@nvaccess.org>

Hmm, yes but I think at the changeover all those who use master and assume its almost beta quality might need a nudge from a popup or something to tell them the changes. may not read here regularly of course.

He writes:
Hi Brian,

I appreciate your constructive feedback. We will certainly think about
your proposal and see what we can manage.

Although we have published the new process, we have not yet removed any
branches or switched anyone over, so we can still make some changes
before committing to this fully.

The reasons for sticking with the name master for the default
development branch are:

1. We don't want to break existing pull requests which are currently
open against master. There are more than 40 or so.

2. We don't want new contributors submitting pull requests against an
old (defunct) version of master (if we do move).

3. master is the generally accepted name for the default branch of git
repositories for most projects on github.

There may be another way to solve this specifically for snapshots. I'll
have to research this further.

We will wait for more feedback and think on this more.

Mick

But,

On 4/07/2018 4:59 PM, Brians old account via Nvda-devel wrote:
> While I can see the reasoning for this change. I do think that a number of
> us are going to have to do the following. When the Next becomes master, we
> are going to have a period when the new beta branch does not exist, Now
> taking my own case as a for instance. I currently use master as my working
> version though I of course do have a portable of the latest stable
> version, That will mean if I do nothing result in effectively my master
> becoming next, which means my normal copy is now bleeding edge code. I may
> have to wait till the new beta is created for the ability to change this
> around, and make next master and master beta. Would it not be more
> sensible to just remove master, and use next as you propose master is to
> be, then create a new beta when applicable?
> That way folk used to using master as pretty stable will not be affected.
> They will stay on master, then when a new beta comes out they will be
> migrated to this for their working versions.
> if you want users to participate, as I think is a good thing, in my view
> the proposal I outline above will carry more people with you. also please
> remember to formerly tell people on the user list about what you are doing
> so you do not suddenly find a lot of folk with problems.
> I do realise that there are now a lot more checks done automatically, but
> in the end its the user that will be running the code more than anyone
> else, and feedback from that cohort of people is worth its weight in gold.
> we all know that many programmers are the worst testers as they are
> predictable. its the newbie and the less confident user who finds the
> bugs.
> So what do you think?
>
> Brian
>
> bgaff@lineone.net
> Brian Gaff's other account.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mick Curran" <mick@nvaccess.org>

Kevin Cussick

well, after reading about this I think I agree with the devs. I am also pleased to see Nvda improving the way it is being updated. I would hope that most people who run master or the new beta are aware that things may not work as expected.

[...]

I'm not saying they are wrong in their idea, merely that we have a problem since people have been able to treat master as a beta for some years now, and what is needed is some way to flag this change to those not often on here but who do come on when things go wrong. My work around ideas were just that. As long as when the change is made a simple way out I of it is given, then fine. I do know of a couple of people on this list from time to time who use master in a company, installed by admin so they can have the latest stable at all times, but these people will need to contact their admins in order to put them on the new beta channel. One assumes that master will be ported to that channel for the time being so that people can still have a working version.