Question regarding NVDA and speaking message columns in Outlook

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So I’m  mainly a Jaws user, but from time to time try to play around with NVDA or use it to get out of a pinch. When I’m in Outlook 2016 and arrowing among the list of emails in a particular folder, NVDA reads all sorts of columns like  no associated draft, group by, date, etc. In Jaws I have as much extraneous info like this silenced, but don’t know where or how this could be done with NVDA. I don’t need all this extra stuff spoke every single time I arrow up or down my emails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cristobal

Monte Single

I am using nvda with outlook 2013 and I used it at work with  outlook 2016.

I have the preview pane turned off, as well as calander and contacts; that is, they are not deisplayed on the screen.

So  I have the folders list on the left and the message  list on the right.

When I arrow throught the message list, I hear the senders name, the subject, date and time.

If I move quickly through the list, I will not hear all this info for each message.

Also I have  incoming mail grouped by subject.

Works fairly well.

I had some sighted  help to set this up but it  didn’t take long.

I’m confident there is someone on this list  who can help you do this.

Cheers,

Monte

So I’m  mainly a Jaws user, but from time to time try to play around with NVDA or use it to get out of a pinch. When I’m in Outlook 2016 and arrowing among the list of emails in a particular folder, NVDA reads all sorts of columns like  no associated draft, group by, date, etc. In Jaws I have as much extraneous info like this silenced, but don’t know where or how this could be done with NVDA. I don’t need all this extra stuff spoke every single time I arrow up or down my emails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cristobal

Jonathan COHN

Was this done by reducing the number of columns in your Outlook view? In JAWS the column that indicates an attachment is present in a message is only spoken when there is actually an attachment. Also, the status column is not spoken for messages that have been read and no other action has occurred on the message.

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

Cristóbal

Jus to follow up to this. Turns out, My office updates were disabled resulting me being on an older version of Outlook. Once I enabled it and updated my Office products, this issue of NVDA announcing before every message “No associated draft” went away. It seems it was a known issue with NVDA.