say blank lines

Brice Mijares

How do I go about preventing NVDA from saying blank when going through email using the down arrow? And why do some people insist on putting a blank line between sentences? thanks

You might try tweaking symbol pronunciation for the symbol "null".  That's the only thing I can find where "blank" is what's said.  That poses dangers if you actually need to edit a document and care about paragraph breaks.

The main reason for putting a blank line in is for a paragraph break.  I know of one regular on one of these groups who has the idiosyncratic formatting habit of making each and individual sentence set apart from the next by a blank line, but it's certainly not standard practice.

I'm not sure if you can.  I'll try an experiment.  But why are you down arrowing through messages?  Are you using speak to end?  Blank won't be spoken.

Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 8:21 AM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] say blank lines

How do I go about  preventing NVDA  from saying blank when going through
email using the down arrow? And why  do some people insist on putting a
blank line between sentences? thanks

Gene

You can cause blank not to be spoken by using the speech dictionary in NVDA.  I don't know how much information you need.  do you know how to use the dictionary?  Put the word blank in the field where you place the original item.  Then type a space in the pronounced as field.

But if you do this, the word blank will never be spoken anywhere.

Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 8:21 AM
To: nvda

How do I go about  preventing NVDA  from saying blank when going through
email using the down arrow? And why  do some people insist on putting a
blank line between sentences? thanks

Brice Mijares

Thanks for the info. No, I don't want to loose the word space. If I remember correctly, there was an option in Window Eyes that you could check or uncheck to prevent it from echoing blank lines. Maybe in the future NVDA will have this setting as well. thank you.

On 7/7/2018 12:33 PM, Gene wrote:
You can cause blank not to be spoken by using the speech dictionary in NVDA.  I don't know how much information you need.  do you know how to use the dictionary?  Put the word blank in the field where you place the original item.  Then type a space in the pronounced as field.
But if you do this, the word blank will never be spoken anywhere.
I'm not sure if you can.  I'll try an experiment.  But why are you down arrowing through messages?  Are you using speak to end?  Blank won't be spoken.
How do I go about  preventing NVDA  from saying blank when going through
email using the down arrow? And why  do some people insist on putting a
blank line between sentences? thanks

Gene

I believe there was such an option.  But again, are you regularly down arrowing through messages and if so, why?

Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 3:08 PM

On 7/7/2018 12:33 PM, Gene wrote:
> You can cause blank not to be spoken by using the speech dictionary in
> NVDA.  I don't know how much information you need.  do you know how to
> use the dictionary?  Put the word blank in the field where you place the
> original item.  Then type a space in the pronounced as field.
> But if you do this, the word blank will never be spoken anywhere.
> Gene

No, I don't normally down arrow, just when I want to catch something I wasn't sure I heard correctly, or a spelling of a word, ETC. Thank You.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not sure they do. If you maximise the window do you still get them, if so then its just the way the text is formatted.
If you do a say all it never says blank.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-