Anniversary windows 10 update

marvin kotler

Good evening list; Marv here.  From what I read on the Microsoft website, the anniversary update could be awhile getting to you due to your location and other factors.  The update is 3 gb. in size, so it will take a while to install.  Also, can 64 bit vista be upgraded to any other operating system? I have an older laptop and was just wondering about this.  Any help would be appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Shook
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2016 10:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [NVDA] anniversary update

Hi,
I have two questions.
1. When will NVDA 2016.3 be released?
2. In his podcast, Joseph said that the anniversary updates will be
released in waves. Does anyone know what the time frame for that is?

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Marvin,
From what I understand, the computer has to be at least windows 7.
Could you please post the link that talks about the aniversary update to the list?
Thanks
Chris

Sharni-Lee Ward

Wait, I haven't read many emails about this so I'm more than a bit concerned. Is this update going to be forced on us like the initial one? Can never10 or the WGX Control Panel block it? I don't want Windows 10 until I have no other choice, and if I update my system and suddenly it's being downloaded again...

Good evening list; Marv here.  From what I read on the Microsoft website, the anniversary update could be awhile getting to you due to your location and other factors.  The update is 3 gb. in size, so it will take a while to install.  Also, can 64 bit vista be upgraded to any other operating system? I have an older laptop and was just wondering about this.  Any help would be appreciated.
2. In his podcast, Joseph said that the anniversary updates will be
released in waves. Does anyone know what the time frame for that is?

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Sharni:
I don't think you have to worry about it updating automatically anymore. The time for the free update ended on the twenty ninth of July. I don't think it will update automatically anymore.
Chris

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi Marv

If it is an older laptop, it would be advisable to upgrade to 7, because 10 may be too system intensive

Regards

Heaven Botma

Dosent

Lecturer

T: 023 348 7634

C: 079 512 2856

F: 023 342 3959

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Good evening list; Marv here.  From what I read on the Microsoft website, the anniversary update could be awhile getting to you due to your location and other factors.  The update is 3 gb. in size, so it will take a while to install.  Also, can 64 bit vista be upgraded to any other operating system? I have an older laptop and was just wondering about this.  Any help would be appreciated.

2. In his podcast, Joseph said that the anniversary updates will be

released in waves. Does anyone know what the time frame for that is?

The Gamages

Hello,
Microsoft were fined ten thousand dollars for an unwanted upgrade to a travel agent’s system  in late June, for anyone interested type “microsoft law suit” in your browser’s search box.
Maybe it will stop Microsoft from doing any unwanted upgrades in future?

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 2:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anniversary windows 10 update

[...]

I was told by somebody who is supposed to know that this will still occur for anyone who has their system set to use screenreader in the ease of use centre for at least an extra month, due to the need for the new Edge code to be put on those machines to make them work.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

If it is an older laptop, it would be advisable to upgrade to 7, because 10
may be too system intensive

Regards

kaleidoscope logo

Heaven Botma

Dosent

Lecturer

T: 023 348 7634

C: 079 512 2856

F: 023 342 3959

E: <mailto:heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org>
heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org

W: <http://www.kaleidoscopesa.org/> www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

facebook2 twitter instagram

2. In his podcast, Joseph said that the anniversary updates will be

released in waves. Does anyone know what the time frame for that is?

Gene

I don't know who the person who is supposed to know is but either you didn't understand what he/she said, or the person isn't actually in the know.  A number of days ago, information was sent to the list about going to a web site and starting the upgrade from there.  If you go to the link provided, you get to a site with a faq about upgrading and if you follow a link to upgrade, you are given a program to download.  While instructions are not given, you evidently have to manually run the program and do whatever it wants you to do to start the upgrade.  I also am skeptical that a time limit on using this upgrade has been imposed.  I don't recall seeing any such thing in the FAQ and given the slow progress made on Edge accessibility, I would doubt that one month will see a fully accessible Edge.  And if Edge were the only issue, it's easy enough to use another browser including Internet Explorer and from a security standpoint, it may be better to use a nonMicrosoft browser anyway.

I see no reason to have any confidence in what this person is saying.  I do not expect any upgrades to occur in the old way.  While I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft might put a nag message in the system tray urging people to upgrade, Microsoft is not going to examine every computer that is running automatically without the user doing anything to initiate it, to determine if a screen-reader is present.  Think about it.  Microsoft would have to use some sort of utility or scripts to examine every computer on every connection to the Internet automatically to determine if a screen-reader is present and then present the upgrade option in the system tray on computers with screen-readers.  It's unworkable.

Unless you do what is necessary to initiate the upgrade, free upgrades are over.

Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 3:16 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I don't think you have to worry about it updating automatically anymore.
> The time for the free update ended on the twenty ninth of July. I don't
> think it will update automatically anymore.
> Chris

Gene

And here is an article from a reliable source that supports what I said.

It provides a comprehensive discussion of the upgrade extension and how it is implemented.

I don't know who the person who is supposed to know is but either you didn't understand what he/she said, or the person isn't actually in the know.  A number of days ago, information was sent to the list about going to a web site and starting the upgrade from there.  If you go to the link provided, you get to a site with a faq about upgrading and if you follow a link to upgrade, you are given a program to download.  While instructions are not given, you evidently have to manually run the program and do whatever it wants you to do to start the upgrade.  I also am skeptical that a time limit on using this upgrade has been imposed.  I don't recall seeing any such thing in the FAQ and given the slow progress made on Edge accessibility, I would doubt that one month will see a fully accessible Edge.  And if Edge were the only issue, it's easy enough to use another browser including Internet Explorer and from a security standpoint, it may be better to use a nonMicrosoft browser anyway.

I see no reason to have any confidence in what this person is saying.  I do not expect any upgrades to occur in the old way.  While I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft might put a nag message in the system tray urging people to upgrade, Microsoft is not going to examine every computer that is running automatically without the user doing anything to initiate it, to determine if a screen-reader is present.  Think about it.  Microsoft would have to use some sort of utility or scripts to examine every computer on every connection to the Internet automatically to determine if a screen-reader is present and then present the upgrade option in the system tray on computers with screen-readers.  It's unworkable.

Unless you do what is necessary to initiate the upgrade, free upgrades are over.

> I don't think you have to worry about it updating automatically anymore.
> The time for the free update ended on the twenty ninth of July. I don't
> think it will update automatically anymore.
> Chris

We shall see I imagine. the fact is that this person who I will not name here, has been on radio saying this in the UK, so who do you beliieve. No I'd not seen any post in this list saying that you have to visit a site, but there have been issues with mail lists before of course.
[...]

I believe Joseph Lee who has worked closely on such issues.  I believe my own experience when I go to the site and see what the procedure is.

I don't know who has been on the radio but I see no reason to believe that he is correct.  Microsoft is not offering the extension by placing an icon in the system tray of blind computer users.  I haven't seen one message, on three lists, indicating that such an icon is present.