Topics

Request for a new NVDA feature

Akshaya Choudhary

Someone on reddit told me that in Voice Dream Reader you can control the duration of the pauses after punctuation and sentence break. It would be great to have similar feature for NVDA.  SAPI 5 voices do provide intonation pauses, but they also provide pauses after command keys, which makes them slow for general navigation. Maybe, we could have a feature enabling the users to toggle between extended pauses and short pauses.  For general navigation short pauses will be great, like they are in Espeak, and for reading long documents long pauses would be very helpful, like they are in SAPI 5 voices.
Someone please introduce this feature.  --
--
Regards,
Sociohack

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I find the pauses SAPI5 uses to be unbearably long. Tyler Spivy, I think it was, who posts on this list, provided a solution. You can adjust the pauses to the length of your choice by editing an .ini file deep within Windows. However, every time there is a major windows update, your settings are revoked, it seems.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sociohack AC
Sent: July 13, 2018 11:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Request for a new NVDA feature

Someone on reddit told me that in Voice Dream Reader you can control the duration of the pauses after punctuation and sentence break. It would be great to have similar feature for NVDA.  SAPI 5 voices do provide intonation pauses, but they also provide pauses after command keys, which makes them slow for general navigation. Maybe, we could have a feature enabling the users to toggle between extended pauses and short pauses.  For general navigation short pauses will be great, like they are in Espeak, and for reading long documents long pauses would be very helpful, like they are in SAPI 5 voices.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya Choudhary

@JMCasey can you give me the Topic of the thread?
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Quentin Christensen

This comes up now and then.  In short, it's mostly left to the synthesizer to control the length of pauses.  It is possible to change to some degree if you open the NVDA menu, go to preferences then "punctuation / symbol pronunciation", you could choose whether to send a symbol to the synthesizer or not.  That dialog is mostly designed to change how symbols are pronounced (eg to read ! as exclaim rather than bang), and I haven't experimented with trying to use it to change pauses, but if you do, please do let us know how it goes.

I thought there had been at least one issue on this in the past, but can't find it on our GitHub issue tracker: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 1:46 AM, Sociohack AC <acsociopath@...> wrote:
--
Regards,
Sociohack

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess