I think Avast is a virus :-)

Brian's Mail list account

I'm having terrible trouble stopping this anti virus once installed and removed from making frequent attempts to reinstall itself. I have a suspicion that Ccleaner is responsible for apparent random downloads in the background without any input from a user. It then sits there and out of the blue comes up as installing.

Does anyone know of a third party program that can spot this and actually stop it. maybe an entry in Microsofts windows 7 firewall or something.
Unfortunately, the machine in question is a device used by both sighted and blind, and its only when I get there and find this inaccessible over active impossible to remove bit of so called anti virus software that I get very annoyed. I want to make it absolutely impossible to install it.
Any ideas?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Then why has no other CCleaner user reported the problem not just on this list, but on the other two active Windows users lists I'm on?  It doesn't seem plausible.

How have you tried to remove Avast in the past?  And if you really think its CCleaner, why not completely remove CCleaner and see what happens?

But rather than do that, doing what I suggest below may yield the wanted result without doing unnecessary and likely ineffective work.

I don't know how you might stop it.  the question may well be too specific and essoteric for the list.  Why not ask somewhere like Bleeping Computer where geeks hang out to help with technical questions that range from simple to obscure.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM
Subject: [nvda] I think Avast is a virus :-)

[...]

in the display name field.

The easiest way is to not install it in the first place.

I guess you will just have to reformat to get rid of it.

Its a pitty ccleaner has gone this way, I still use it because its generally good and all I need to use is its cleaning function and most of the checkboxes are checked by default but to be honest, if this is its reality I don't know.

On 7/14/2018 8:28 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Well to be honest, the last time it happened I was able to run system restore.

If you watch for the sneaky checkbox, you can catch it but you need to be super damn carefull when you run things.

To be honest, ccleaner is getting more and more malware like, if I could have something that would work even if I had to donate or pay a little for support maybe.

In the old days there used to be a program suite I used before it became evil crappy crapware by symontech.

It was called norton system works, it had a windows fixer, a reg cleaner, a disk cleaner, a disk defrag and disk diagnosis and a system info tool.

It did all I needed, it fixed issues before they became a problem, it was cpu intensive but it was accessible and in pure english.

That all changed in 2003 though.

There are still people that use it but its inaccessible crap now and is the first thing I get rid of.

Worst for users that run out of subscription they happily get virused, a cousin that got a virus got it so bad he had to reformat all his computers, and lost everything, it was revealed he had run out of virus subscription that week.

Its also why I won't go to subscription software, people do run out not intentionally but they do, its not fair to not be protected because they forgot, even if the software went back to a semi non functional state but thats the way it was.

On 7/14/2018 8:35 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Chris

I guess this is the free version that’s doing this

As far as I can see the only way to stop automatic downloads is to buy the ccleaner product

Otherwise it cant be turned off along with all the advertising it pops up now 😃

[...]

But this isn't a download during installation.  This is a download that happens at other times.  it's common that free software offers downloads that are unwanted during download, not at times other than during downloads.

So I wouldn't assume that the continued reinstallations are caused by CCleaner.

But if you want to stop it, you might be able to do so by putting the address of wherever the Avast file is being downloaded from, assumedly, the avast site, in the host file regarding URLS and have the host file direct browsers on the machine to a location where nothing exists.  I don't know technically how this is done but others on the list may.  Or this may be a question for a site like Bleeping Computer.

or there may be other solutions you might get from a site like Bleeping Computer.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I think Avast is a virus :-)

[...]

Desiree Oudinot

Hi,

I very rarely post on this list, but this message warrants a response.

I, too, have had CCleaner install Avast even when I've declined the offer during installation. Once it's launched, it seems to do something in the background to install it. As a result, I began using the portable version of CCleaner to avoid this problem.

I believe this is unacceptable, but until now, had also never seen anyone discussing the issue, so I figured I had done something to trigger it. But perhaps not.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM

[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Perhaps I’m missing something, but why do people like cCleaner so much that it’s worth having around despite all this other nonsense?

I installed it for a while on an old XP machine. It did some “cleaning” of the registry and maybe my computer was ever so slightly faster at certain tasks for a short period of time. Knowing what I think I know now, I wouldn’t voluntarily put a registry cleaner on my machine. Almost every tech writer and website advises against it. The reason of course is that neither Ccleaner nor any other programme understands you and your needs, or, really, your registry, and why certain things might be there. I think you’d almost be better off going through by hand when you uninstall a programme and deleting all the entries left behind. Time-consuming, certainly, and still potentially dangerous – but if you don’t know what you are about, why muck about with the registry anyway?

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM

[...]

I didn't say it wouldn't install Avast when you install CCleaner.  But the original message said that CCleaner is periodically reinstalled after being uninstalled and it didn't say this only happened when a new version of CCleaner was installed.

If that happened as a general behavior, it would have caused tremendous outcry from those, sighted and blind, using CCleaner who had mistakenly installed Avast and then removed it.  Where is that outcry?
Also, given the difficulty and inaccessibility of many decline parts of free software, I suspect that you thought you had declined it, but didn't.

Companies try to sneak software onto machines but the company that owns Avast and CCleaner wouldn't damage its reputation by doing something blatantly illegal such as having Avast installed even when a user specifically declined the offer.  The company has a very good reputation and, if for no other reason, that's worth a lot of money.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM

[...]

Jackie

In order to uninstall any antivirus software, you first have to stop
the service(s) that it uses. Please go to Control Panel >
Administrative Tools > Services & set any & all services associated
w/the software to disabled. Then stop the service.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Gene

not necessarily.  When I've uninstalled antimalware programs in the past, and read information from the manufacturer about how to do so, the ones I have uninstalled have said to do so from Programs and Features first and if that didn't work, to use something else like an uninstall tool.

You can't just turn off services antivirus programs use in many cases because these services are monitored by the program's self-defence module.  That module is intended to keep malware from doing just that, turning off the program so the malware can damage the program and infiltrate the machine once the program is off.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I didn't say it wouldn't install Avast when you install CCleaner.  But the
> original message said that CCleaner is periodically reinstalled after being
> uninstalled and it didn't say this only happened when a new version of
> CCleaner was installed.
>
> If that happened as a general behavior, it would have caused tremendous
> outcry from those, sighted and blind, using CCleaner who had mistakenly
> installed Avast and then removed it.  Where is that outcry?
> Also, given the difficulty and inaccessibility of many decline parts of free
> software, I suspect that you thought you had declined it, but didn't.
>
> Companies try to sneak software onto machines but the company that owns
> Avast and CCleaner wouldn't damage its reputation by doing something
> blatantly illegal such as having Avast installed even when a user
> specifically declined the offer.  The company has a very good reputation
> and, if for no other reason, that's worth a lot of money.
>
> Gene

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Desiree Oudinot

I thought this as well, so it's very possible that I thought the offer got declined when it really wasn't. The odd thing is, Avast only installed after I ran CCleaner for the first time after a fresh installation. So, when exactly does Avast embed itself? I distinctly recall trying to uncheck the offer, thinking I had succeeded, and then going on to the next part of the setup process. Nothing was said about Avast at that point. It was only after I launched CCleaner after installation that it happened. I don't know if it would have continued to try and install afterwards; I switched to the portable version at that point, wanting no further parts of any forced offers.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM

[...]

I frankly have seldom, if ever, seen an antimalware program that has
real-time protection enabled be uninstalled using the Control Panel
w/o first stopping services. Sometimes you can go down to the systray
(Windows Key b), right click on the icon, & select exit from the
context menu. The program can then be uninstalled that way, ie, via
Control Panel. It all rather depends on the particular piece of
software, but these are techniques that can be of assistance.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Exactly my impressions of Avast and that's been 10 years ago.
From what I'm reading on here, things haven't exactly improved. The only thing worse is McAfee.
The Dell Inspiron desktop I purchased last year came with McAfee and I had no recourse but to first download all drivers, then completely install Windows 10 from scratch.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I would assume it would have installed when you installed CCleaner, not when you ran it.  I'm not sure what caused to happen what appeared to happen.  I don't use CCleaner and I don't know how it updates itself.  In other words, if it updated the program, perhaps it installed Avast then but I'm just speculating.

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 PM

[...]

I would be happy to buy ccleaner, but for the issue of accessibility, yes I can and do use it but thats about it.

I don't need to configure it much so I just use it..

I had a similar issue with an hp computer I got for family.

They always told you to make an account to get into their support system.

Their system was accessible enough, though some things could be better after signing in, it simply didn't work, when I logged out it was back again for what it was worth but even so.

I guess I should buy it but I only use the manual mode I don't want automatically monitering, I don't clean the registry, shread files, etc just clean junk files.

If there is something that just works I may go for that.

On 7/14/2018 9:35 AM, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

One thing I have done is turn off all monitering in options, but yeah ccleaner is becoming sneaky, I have always turned off monitering and nothing has happened to me but if this does continue, I may have to go else where, I like ccleaner on my workstations and its ease of access.

But its starting to become a dog just like norton, worse if you customise it in its ini file and there are a load of them the engine slows right down.

I'd hate to loose it but to be honest I don't know where to go.

Puran seems the best but things need to stay updated, ccleaner is this at least its updated frequently.

bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@... <mailto:briang1@...>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Tyler Wood

Avast, AVG, all decent antivirus programs have now turned into just as much of a resource hog as Mcafee. They've also became 100% inaccessible and these days, the number one key element is to always use brain.exe. Common sense, in other words.

C Cleaner portable will not install these things, I don't think. That might be yet another option to use if you don't want avast being thrown on the machine.

On 13-Jul-2018 6:55 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
Exactly my impressions of Avast and that's been 10 years ago.
From what I'm reading on here, things haven't exactly improved. The only thing worse is McAfee.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I uninstalled Avast without stopping services using Add/Remove programs in XP about a year ago.  I haven't read removal instructions, that I recall for the few other programs I read about that specified that this be done.

On 7/13/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> not necessarily.  When I've uninstalled antimalware programs in the past,
> and read information from the manufacturer about how to do so, the ones I
> have uninstalled have said to do so from Programs and Features first and if
> that didn't work, to use something else like an uninstall tool.
>
> You can't just turn off services antivirus programs use in many cases
> because these services are monitored by the program's self-defence module.
> That module is intended to keep malware from doing just that, turning off
> the program so the malware can damage the program and infiltrate the machine
> once the program is off.
>
> Gene

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Gene

I'm not sure how accessible Avast is now.  It was useable a number of years ago but in the last few years, accessibility may have declined to the point where it may not be useable enough.  You can still download a version that is a number of years old and use it and I think it is adequate.  I think most changes in the last few years have been cosmetic, layout and additional feature changes   But even about four years ago, it was annoying in many respects.

Exactly my impressions of Avast and that's been 10 years ago.
 From what I'm reading on here, things haven't exactly improved.  The
only thing worse is McAfee.