Topics

Laptop acting weird?

Matt Turner

Hi folks, having a strange problem.

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Hi,
When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks, having a strange problem.

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

Gene

Are you saying it permanently fixed it or only for that one time?  Did you upgrade to Windows 10 with NVDA installed and not reinstall it?  I'm not talking about the upgrade.  I'm talking about upgrading from some other version of Windows.  It has been recommended that NVDA be reinstalled after upgrading.  it solves problems.  I haven't seen this problem discussed in that context but it still may apply.

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
>
> Hi folks, having a strange problem.
>
> When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.
>
> Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.
>
> All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.
>
> I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.
>
> This just happens.

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi All,
First, I am, by no means, a windows genius. But, for me, NVDA stopped reading the file explorer folders, after I reset my file explorer settings. Have you, by any chance, been changing file explorer controls? If not, it will most likely not apply.

Sent from a Braille Sense

[...]

I have come across this issue on windows 8.1, and not 10. By the way, file explorer works fine on win 10. The fix is not permanent, which means that it will not occur until it randomly decides to happen.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2016, at 8:42 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Are you saying it permanently fixed it or only for that one time?  Did you upgrade to Windows 10 with NVDA installed and not reinstall it?  I'm not talking about the upgrade.  I'm talking about upgrading from some other version of Windows.  It has been recommended that NVDA be reinstalled after upgrading.  it solves problems.  I haven't seen this problem discussed in that context but it still may apply.

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
>
> Hi folks, having a strange problem.
>
> When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.
>
> Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.
>
> All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.
>
> I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.
>
> This just happens.

Gene

Well then, it appears my comments don't apply since reinstalling NVDA was recommended after upgrading to Windows 10.

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
>
> Hi folks, having a strange problem.
>
> When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.
>
> Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.
>
> All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.
>
> I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.
>
> This just happens.

Rui Fontes

I have already upgraded some laptops from 8.1 to 10, and never had the need
to re-install NVDA...

Rui

Well then, it appears my comments don't apply since reinstalling NVDA was
recommended after upgrading to Windows 10.

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed
this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks, having a strange problem.

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other
folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

Gene

It may depend on what programs you run.  but I've seen, on this list, an instance where someone had serious problems with Windows Live Mail that were solved by reinstalling.  of course, people can choose not to reinstall if they find they aren't having problems.  But I've seen the recommendation to reinstall made by one or more knowledgeable persons.

I have already upgraded some laptops from 8.1 to 10, and never had the need
to re-install NVDA...

Rui

Well then, it appears my comments don't apply since reinstalling NVDA was
recommended after upgrading to Windows 10.

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed
this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
>
> Hi folks, having a strange problem.
>
> When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other
> folder, i can't see them.
>
> Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.
>
> All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.
>
> I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.
>
> This just happens.

Rui Fontes

When I have such problems, I will try re-installing NVDA...

Rui

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi
File Explorer is the W10 equivalent of Windows Explorer and similarly requires configuring to how you prefer to see information displayed.

As in Windows Explorer, you can view information on your computer in the same way for all folders of the same type. To do this, do the following:

1. Press Windows+r, type C: in the edit box and press enter.
2. Press alt+v, then press l.
3.arrow to your preferred format for folder/file display and press enter (Details is probably the best for a blind user).

4. Press alt+f, then press o. You are now in a multi-tab dialog on the General tab. These settings are personal choice but I'll tell you what I use and why then you can set them to suit yourself. Use the tab key to move through the controls, arrow keys to select your choices.

The first control sets where File Explorer will open when not started for a specific location. The choices are QuickStart and ThisPC. I set mine to ThisPC as I tend not to use quickstart as I usually set up shortcut keys for things I use regularly so do not need the clutter of quick start items.

The next control is a pair of radio buttons which specify if each folder you open is in the same or a new window. I set this to be the same window as you end up with open windows all over the place if you elect to open each in a separate window and it can get very confusing.

The next control is another pair of radio buttons. Set this to Double click to open, single click to select. I know this is mouse related but in keyboard terms, it equates to enter to open, focus acquisition to select (either by arrow key or spacebar).

The next 2 controls related to quick start information, which as I don't use, I leave unchecked.

Now tab down to the Apply button and press enter, then press tab again to loop back to the top of the dialog box.

Press Control+tab to move to the next tab in the dialog box, the View tab.

The first control here is a button, which if you press enter on it, will apply the display format you chose in step 3 above to all folders of this type on your computer. You should press enter to do this.

Now tab down to the Advanced settings. This is a treeview containing the settings applied to the display of information in File Explorer. It is quite extensive so I will just list the parameters I have checked or set to an On state. Note some parameters may be set to On by default but I may have switched them off.

Always show menus
Display the full path in the title bar
Show hidden files and folders
Hide folder merge conflicts
Hide protected operating system files
Show Drive Letters
Show Status bar
Use sharing wizard
Select the typed item in the view
Expand to open folder
Show all folders

Now tab to OK and press enter. Close the File Explorer window and try opening your Download folder again and see if you can read it now.

Cheers
Chris

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

Matt Turner

Hi, restarting NVDA seemed to have fixed it.

Thanks for all the help.

On 8/6/2016 7:38 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:
[...]

Arianna Sepulveda

Chris, thanks for this very useful message. One question for you. I
used to have NVDA read the little info thing that popped up after
selecting any file or folder that would tell you things like size,
date modified, date created, etc. It used to do this without having to
do anything special. I'd just down arrow to something, and bam! I have
the thing for tooltips and descriptions to pop up in the view settings
of File Explorer, as well as NVDA's report tooltips setting turned on,
and I'm still not getting the behavior anymore, which I find annoying.
I'd like that info to be automatically spoken again, just like it used
to be. Do you have any ideas as to why this changed, and how I can get
it back?

Thanks,
Ari

On 8/6/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I'm glad the restart of NVDA fixed the issue, though I cannot guarantee it will work permanently.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2016, at 2:25 AM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I assume if you tab around its not just in a wrong field is it?
I have seen this and making it list instead of large icons seemed to sort it out for me.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks, having a strange problem.

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

It is even better in windows 10 upgrade to save a portable version then reinstall it after the upgrade. quite what the difference is between a new and an old install is hard to grasp though.

I have seen loss of menus and loss of other things reading on nvda geenarally, but its never seen as a problem in logs and I suspect some hooking gets disrupted and a restart of nvda will sort it most of the time in that session.
People I know using Dolphin screenreaders have reported similar issues which does make me wonder if its a timeing thing in windows.
[...]

In a way its much like the long standing issue with nvda and outlook express where at some time of the systems own choosing most message bodies willnot be read and oe complains about things when you attempt to start a new message saying the original has not downloaded. This I understand is an outlook express issue with some screenreaders, it could well be something similar here.
always a reboot of either the software or both software and nevda fixes it till the next time it happens. Mightbe days or the next time you open the application or paart of windows.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

When you open the folder you have to work with, restart NVDA. That fixed this issue on my desktop computer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2016, at 7:53 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks, having a strange problem.

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder, i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

Yes this seems to be totally random in 10 whether it works or not. My guess is that windows is using subtly different code to do this now and sometimes it gets missed. When it does work for me I also hear some detaails repeated twice.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

When i try to access files in the downloads folder, or for any other folder,
i can't see them.

Going into the downloads folder, i hear something about file explorer.

All i can see is the search box, and the Details, and large icons thing.

I no there's stuff in the folders, but i can't see them for some reason.

This just happens.

Chris Mullins

Hi
It's not something I've ever used although a friend of mine had Vista and that would read out all the details on each line which I must confess was very annoying. You can right arrow across the line to read the information displayed however the size column doesn't appear to be populated, unless there is a setting somewhere to make this happen. If you need size info press alt+enter.

Cheers
Chris